Picked up a Mark IV

Another thing, why risk shipping an amp if not needed. Big risk for being damaged, being stolen or lost and having to deal with claims etc. Would hate the irony of sending in an amp I loved for “service” to only be destroyed by a guy tossing it to the ground.

I just sent mine in about 6 weeks ago.
You just call and schedule service. Mine automatically went to Mike B but it wouldnt hurt to request him either.
Just paid for a full re-cap and general cleanup service. $290 + whatever your shipping cost is depending on location. Im in NorCal so it was only $25

Hey thanks for the help! I'll give them a call tomorrow!

I ended up dong the caps on my 1990 mark IVA myself, did the top method so I didn't have to remove the board. Came out well. If I did send it in to Mesa, I can see them rolling their eyes since mine has a bias mod and not a mesa branded tube in sight.

what does this cost ? I have a old mark iv works perfect but im sure a cap job will be needed, shipping across country will be about 200 to start...better to do local if its a simple cap replacement no mods?
I would only let them work on the caps , but that’s me

I bought a Mark IVa from GC used for pretty cheap. Came in a tour case and looked like it was rode HARD and put away wet. Sent it in to Boogie. They overhauled it (told them do whatever it needs) had it back in a month and it was a little under $400 less shipping and tubes. I ended up selling it because I still preferred my Mark IVB. I sold it during Covid when the prices went nuts so I made out pretty good on the deal and someone got a great amp.

I bought a Mark IVa from GC used for pretty cheap. Came in a tour case and looked like it was rode HARD and put away wet. Sent it in to Boogie. They overhauled it (told them do whatever it needs) had it back in a month and it was a little under $400 less shipping and tubes. I ended up selling it because I still preferred my Mark IVB. I sold it during Covid when the prices went nuts so I made out pretty good on the deal and someone got a great amp.
I prefer the Mark IVb as well, as it's more aggressive, and it's actually brighter than the IVa, regardless of what some people think. The IVa is smoother, and perhaps a little more IIc+ like. I didn't buy mine to cop IIc+ tones though, I much prefer the recorded tones I've heard of IV's. They're more modern sounding. Like for instance, Chevelle's last album NIRATIUS... it sounds massive,. He actually uses his IV's with the 750hz slider almost to the middle line if you can believe that, perhaps that's why his tone cuts so well??

I think sending your amps to Mesa is atually a good idea. New caps are not just part of maintenance, they actually help your tone as well. When I got my amp back from Mesa about a year and a half ago I noticed an increase in bass response, punch, and a bit more clarity as well. It was definitely worth the investment.

Mesa might tell you that getting new caps won't change your tone, but I think they're just bullshitting cause they hate doing the work, lol. They'd rather just replace what immediately needs changing, and then get it sent back a few years later when one of the caps goes... like what happened to me with my old Mark III red stripe. I sent it to them twice, and the first time they convinced me not to get a recap, a couple years later a cap fries, back to Mesa it went.

I prefer the Mark IVb as well, as it's more aggressive, and it's actually brighter than the IVa, regardless of what some people think. The IVa is smoother, and perhaps a little more IIc+ like. I didn't buy mine to cop IIc+ tones though, I much prefer the recorded tones I've heard of IV's. They're more modern sounding. Like for instance, Chevelle's last album NIRATIUS... it sounds massive,. He actually uses his IV's with the 750hz slider almost to the middle line if you can believe that, perhaps that's why his tone cuts so well??
I Don't heavily scoop my Mark IV's either. It cuts better and has a nice snarl.

Back