Picked up a Mark IV

My Mark IV just arrived in Petaluma for an update today. It is from 96.
Call Mesa Boogie 707-789-3324 and you will probably speak with Rich, he will get you sorted
Mine has the brown 10,000uF 16V caps that are known for leaking all over the main board which is why I am having it updated. Yours may be safe from that being a later model and could probably get another 10 years out of it before needing a re-cap

I think this should be standard with any old boogie you don't know the service history of. I had a great experience with my last one and need to do it with my current mark iv

My Mark IV just arrived in Petaluma for an update today. It is from 96.
Call Mesa Boogie 707-789-3324 and you will probably speak with Rich, he will get you sorted
Mine has the brown 10,000uF 16V caps that are known for leaking all over the main board which is why I am having it updated. Yours may be safe from that being a later model and could probably get another 10 years out of it before needing a re-cap
Thanks a lot
I think this should be standard with any old boogie you don't know the service history of. I had a great experience with my last one and need to do it with my current mark iv
I just spoke with Mesa Boogie. Sent them some pictures of the inside. Luckily it doesn’t look like there is any cap leakage. Still sending in for a nice service.

Attachments

• 793B6917-A184-4FA6-8F2A-9CCE41FEE485.jpeg
    793B6917-A184-4FA6-8F2A-9CCE41FEE485.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 54
  • 2F7DFF17-C027-47A6-A610-9D323D7775D1.jpeg
    2F7DFF17-C027-47A6-A610-9D323D7775D1.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 53
Thanks a lot

I just spoke with Mesa Boogie. Sent them some pictures of the inside. Luckily it doesn’t look like there is any cap leakage. Still sending in for a nice service.
That's still a 20+ year old amp that the cost is totally worth the peace of mind. Not saying something can't still go wrong but you will improve your odds immensely.

I think sometimes people forget that old amps need an occasional service. I have my VTM120 in the shop for service now and plan on doing my Mark IV and 6505 next.

That's still a 20+ year old amp that the cost is totally worth the peace of mind. Not saying something can't still go wrong but you will improve your odds immensely.

I think sometimes people forget that old amps need an occasional service. I have my VTM120 in the shop for service now and plan on doing my Mark IV and 6505 next.
I agree!

what does this cost ? I have a old mark iv works perfect but im sure a cap job will be needed, shipping across country will be about 200 to start...better to do local if its a simple cap replacement no mods?

what does this cost ? I have a old mark iv works perfect but im sure a cap job will be needed, shipping across country will be about 200 to start...better to do local if its a simple cap replacement no mods?
I guess it all depends on who you want working on your amp and what you want to spend. I’m not sure what the price will be. I’ll lyk

Last edited:
Reactions: 155
Try using Shipnerd for shipping. I just paid $22 to ship my head via UPS, although I am in Nor Cal already it would have been much more had I went thru FEDEX or UPS directly
No pricing was discussed, its getting done regardless in my case

Try using Shipnerd for shipping. I just paid $22 to ship my head via UPS, although I am in Nor Cal already it would have been much more had I went thru FEDEX or UPS directly
No pricing was discussed, its getting done regardless in my case
Agree with shipnerd. Had my se100 overnighted from va to Indiana for $200. Got a quote from ups direct for roughly $800.

I might have to send mine in again. My clean channel stays clean through the whole gain sweep pretty much. I gotta crank the master up to get any kinda dirt out of it. I never use the clean channel so I'm wondering if this is normal or not? Channel's 2 and 3 work fine.

I think about sending mine in occasionally. Mine is a 91'.

Well, I sent the pictures over the Boogie and Michael Bendinelli sais it appears clean and the 8200mf caps have never leaked to his recollection. So they didn’t recommend sending the amp in unless there was an actual serious issue. But I’ll take this opportunity to change all the tubes and clean anything I may want too.

Hi guys, I recently got a Mesa Mark IV as well. It's a Mark IVB and it sounds great, but I was thinking of sending it in to Mesa as well for servicing just for peace of mind. Kind of a dumb question, but do you specifically request to have someone like Mike B work on your amp or do you just ask about general servicing? Thanks!

Hi guys, I recently got a Mesa Mark IV as well. It's a Mark IVB and it sounds great, but I was thinking of sending it in to Mesa as well for servicing just for peace of mind. Kind of a dumb question, but do you specifically request to have someone like Mike B work on your amp or do you just ask about general servicing? Thanks!
I just sent mine in about 6 weeks ago.
You just call and schedule service. Mine automatically went to Mike B but it wouldnt hurt to request him either.
Just paid for a full re-cap and general cleanup service. $290 + whatever your shipping cost is depending on location. Im in NorCal so it was only $25

Mark IV’s fuckin rock. Want another mark so bad I can’t stand it. IIb forward to the new one….don’t give a fuck which either. Any of them. Except the minis. I get all tingly in the nethers just thinking about it.

I bought one from the mid-90s a couple of years back and the footswitch went bad. Sent it to Mesa and basically had them re-cap it as well as fixing that. It also needed a new reverb tank. Mesa and Rich are fantastic to deal with.

I wouldn’t spend that much on an amp from 2002, if it works fine. Especially if you look inside and there’s no known items that are prone to fail, like certain brand caps etc.

Back