The importance of hitting hard

If you have a real low action you want a lighter touch, even on heavy stuff because the excessive string motion just gets choked out by the frets and you’ll lose sustain. Plus you’ll fatigue slower, stay in tune better and probably lock up less when playing faster, intricate rhythm stuff. I first noticed this playing bass. I was hammering away being all punk rock and wondering why the bass wasn’t sounding big and full. Saw some vids of what I considered guys with big and bad bass tones and they’re playing half as hard. They were letting the strings ring out as opposed to fret out from excessive string movement. I found this translated to guitar as well, more so down in cowboy chord country.
One of my favorite guitars players for what I hear live and on record, is Tim Sult from Clutch. Big fat toned, riffs and rhythms. Watching him play is like watching a dude delicately put together a plane model. My brain shorts a little hearing that sound come out of that super light, barely moving right hand.
For AC/DC type stuff it’s a balance. Hard enough to get the attack and grind from an old Marshall but light enough for it all to ring out and have that size.

If you have a real low action you want a lighter touch, even on heavy stuff because the excessive string motion just gets choked out by the frets and you’ll lose sustain. Plus you’ll fatigue slower, stay in tune better and probably lock up less when playing faster, intricate rhythm stuff. I first noticed this playing bass. I was hammering away being all punk rock and wondering why the bass wasn’t sounding big and full. Saw some vids of what I considered guys with big and bad bass tones and they’re playing half as hard. They were letting the strings ring out as opposed to fret out from excessive string movement. I found this translated to guitar as well, more so down in cowboy chord country.

pretty much this, when i started recording im like "yeah im gonna really hammer on this one for that live energy durrrrrrr" and couldnt figure out why the arena rocking take i thought i just did sounded like such shit.. now i play lighter and more controlled when recording and my palm mutes pop out, everything is clearer, i stay in tune... all that fun stuff

Back