Favorite VH brown sound in a pedal solutions?

The fragile can't process reality like the rest of us bro. They don't seem to be able to use their ears like the rest of us. IMO the amp Zach has more magic. The rest of the amps only bear the name and not THE tone.
when Zach let me borrow the amp for a few months i shot this vid. gtr straight into the amp, loaded down with the rockcrusher, line level out to my rocktron rack interface where fx were mixed in parallel to the dry signal, the ancient 1990s built in cab emulation in the rocktron was added to the stereo out of the headphone jack, DI to my cam’s mini 1/8” mic input.

when you replace the DI / cam emulation with 3 4x12s and a mesa stereo power amp, things get waaaaaayyyy better.

They didn’t not sell because of the tones, they didn’t sell because the business model of working with Mark was impossible. Well documented here on the forum.
listen brothers i’m well aware of the saga but let’s keep it positive and stick to vh brown sound pedals or small/cool/cheap ways to get there!

so far the pinnacle deluxe leads the charge!

and i think my buddy’s store sells the mxr vh box so i may have to pay him a little visit.

what about the friedman smallbox pedal?

I can speak for the MI Audio Crunch Box, its more JCM 800. Ive heard people use it for VH style stuff but its not what you want, haha....I got better results boosting an OCD pedal with a Boss Blues Driver....surprisingly close.

Now theres another rabbit hole.....use 2 pedals, independant gain stages...

n
I can speak for the MI Audio Crunch Box, its more JCM 800. Ive heard people use it for VH style stuff but its not what you want, haha....I got better results boosting an OCD pedal with a Boss Blues Driver....surprisingly close.

Now theres another rabbit hole.....use 2 pedals, independant gain stages...
nothing wrong with two pedals here.
i used to hit my tonebone with a dynacomp and later a barber tone press which was quieter and had that great blend knob:

Ok so Ive been trying to get my boogie to do VH type tones for ages. This is as close as I can get it - boosted OCD on the Mark 3 channel.

that’s a great tone sickness! as i listen to it i can’t help but think how a cranked plexi grinding in the mix would just rule. and thet’s kinda what camerons sound like to me. cranked boogie mark II/III meets modded plexi.

mark’s amps have a greasy squeeze and powerful “monster chainsaw slicing through redwood like butter” vibe to them. needs to be felt and heard for the “A-Ha!” moment!

Thanks man, with the boogie it's the goo that I can't dial out, doesn't matter what channel, it's still there. There's also missing crispiness from 6-10khz which I can't get.

The Cameron was always the best of the modded marshalls, I remember all of us talking about them way back when that Dio album came out, the Doug Aldrich one. Apparently one of his mods was a 2c mod, I thought it was the best tone I'd heard. Bogner ecstasy sounds similar imho....

Is the CL80 the same as the Boogie 90 ? Or similar ?
Good question! I don't know. I've always liked the CL80 if you don't need any color from the speakers.

I love GBs for the color they add, but if you are trying to get the crunch/harmonics/compression/etc done before the amplification stage, then CL80s will help to not overdo it.

For instance, the Bogner XTC was really designed to provide all the magic IN AMP. This is why the V30/CL80 was RB's preferred choice. These speaker choices more emulated the post-production evident in the finished product than introducing color in the final stage.

Pedal solution, if I were building it today, would be (in this order)
- MXR phase/flange
- Bell Epoch
- 68 Lion
- Boss EQ-200
- Eventide Micropitch
- UA DelVerb
- Radial Pro-Iso Stereo XLR Isolator and Converter

The Eventide could be dropped if you just want pre-Fair Warning tones.

If you want stage volume, I'd do two of these (which have further EQ shaping)
- Quilter MicroBlock 45

For superb sounding stereo, find an old THD 2x12 with the treated CL80s and rewire the jack for stereo.

Very portable, dead-nuts sounding rig tweak able for any room/sound situation, and the 68 Lion would give you basic 2-channel capabilities for Plexi cleans.

Good question! I don't know. I've always liked the CL80 if you don't need any color from the speakers.

I love GBs for the color they add, but if you are trying to get the crunch/harmonics/compression/etc done before the amplification stage, then CL80s will help to not overdo it.

For instance, the Bogner XTC was really designed to provide all the magic IN AMP. This is why the V30/CL80 was RB's preferred choice. These speaker choices more emulated the post-production evident in the finished product than introducing color in the final stage.
I wonder how a W/D/W setup with Greenbacks in the center cab and EVM 12Ls (or similar) would sound with an H&H (or similar SS power amp) would sound…

Thanks man, with the boogie it's the goo that I can't dial out, doesn't matter what channel, it's still there. There's also missing crispiness from 6-10khz which I can't get.

The Cameron was always the best of the modded marshalls, I remember all of us talking about them way back when that Dio album came out, the Doug Aldrich one. Apparently one of his mods was a 2c mod, I thought it was the best tone I'd heard. Bogner ecstasy sounds similar imho....
the top end is an extremely delicate and fickle element.

I wonder how a W/D/W setup with Greenbacks in the center cab and EVM 12Ls (or similar) would sound with an H&H (or similar SS power amp) would sound…
Sounds heavy! ;-)

Again, Greenbacks are fantastic in shaping/coloring/adding bounce and crunch to the sound. They are generally awful at helping replicate an already shaped/colored sound.

The 68Lion has a great GB cab in the box. You don't want to double up on that.

After doing some reading on this Lion 68 pedal is a digital emulation of a 68 plexi. So this is for direct recording only or can it be expanded to an actual full volume rig like a 100 watt power amp? So it's a pedal platform similar to AxeFX modeling.............

https://www.uaudio.com/guitar-pedals/lion-68-super-lead-amp.html

This clip does sound pretty good and I'd like to hear more than what Pete recorded. It seems to have some characteristics but the clip was so short I couldn't hear if it had that telltale plexi clank and chirp.

Last edited:
Sounds heavy! ;-)

Again, Greenbacks are fantastic in shaping/coloring/adding bounce and crunch to the sound. They are generally awful at helping replicate an already shaped/colored sound.

The 68Lion has a great GB cab in the box. You don't want to double up on that.
I'm assuming you own one of these judging by your posts? I know you have played actual plexi's does it really have all of the quirks and tones of a plexi or is it just close?

When ghost notes are enabled...it really does sound like a real one.

Santiago handled this and he gets it. Also a great base for the EJ sound.

I had one on loan for a bit but now am on guitar holiday for an extended period as I had shoulder/bicep surgery as the result of a bad wreck I was in.

Back