Favorite VH brown sound in a pedal solutions?

mentoneman

Have any VH chasers here found a simple and convincing “all in one box” answer to early eddie tone? Looking for something less preamp distortion and more emulating the chirpy saggy compressed power tube sustained clarity and cranked low wattage speakers in a 4x12

The smaller and cheaper the answer, so i can easily integrate it into my existing rack rig, the more i will respect you🤣

pedals?

ir?

friedman ir-x, tone X…?

kemper?

Last edited:
I think the pedals still come up too crispy. I think the player goes a long way too ( Estrada, thorn, philX). I think Pete thorn got that tone with the torpedo Opus, his IK toneX superlead capture, and even this UAD emulation pedal. But straight analog pedals... BSIAB sort of deal, don't hear it. Marshall needs to do what Friedman did with a pedal and design it so that it emulates that splatty plexi thing. They should call this preamp with on board IR's the " ERA " pedal and have : JTM, Superlead, Variac switch, and JMP MV with a knob that gimmicks the NFR so you can tailor the value to 0-100k. They should also have a tonstack lift as a gain mod with lean and fat cap or no bypass cap. There should also be a wee lil switch for Jose mod. Then everyone can piss off because Marshall will have done it! And we all lived happily ever after and got custom real dolls so there would be no headaches in life. Die happy

disclaimer: I suppose cleaning a real doll could be considered a " headache"...

:)

I think the pedals still come up too crispy. I think the player goes a long way too ( Estrada, thorn, philX). I think Pete thorn got that tone with the torpedo Opus, his IK toneX superlead capture, and even this UAD emulation pedal. But straight analog pedals... BSIAB sort of deal, don't hear it. Marshall needs to do what Friedman did with a pedal and design it so that it emulates that splatty plexi thing. They should call this preamp with on board IR's the " ERA " pedal and have : JTM, Superlead, Variac switch, and JMP MV with a knob that gimmicks the NFR so you can tailor the value to 0-100k. They should also have a tonstack lift as a gain mod with lean and fat cap or no bypass cap. There should also be a wee lil switch for Jose mod. Then everyone can piss off because Marshall will have done it! And we all lived happily ever after and got custom real dolls so there would be no headaches in life. Die happy

disclaimer: I suppose cleaning a real doll could be considered a " headache"...

:)
qjEU44N.jpg

I though you swore by the Carl Martin plexi pedal?

I don't think you can get all those dynamics you listed in a pedal platform. That's asking a pedal to do alot ahead of the an amplifier preamp and power section. I think alot of people have tried to do this very thing and seems they have fallen short. You may just have to settle for just ok.

The Ossie Ahsen Mototeddy preamp pedals do sound pretty cool.

As RSM mentioned for EVH plexi tone in a bottle probably would be the Kemper but alas that it is digital and you're still looking for a analog pedal to package Phase inverter Power amp clipping in the preamp of a pedal.

It does sound like George Metropolus is incorporate some type of emulation circuits within his new Metroplex II circuits. I doubt he would evolve that innovation into a pedal taking away his sale of his amps.

I though you swore by the Carl Martin plexi pedal?

I don't think you can get all those dynamics you listed in a pedal platform. That's asking a pedal to do alot ahead of the an amplifier preamp and power section. I think alot of people have tried to do this very thing and seems they have fallen short. You may just have to settle for just ok.

The Ossie Ahsen Mototeddy preamp pedals do sound pretty cool.

As RSM mentioned for EVH plexi tone in a bottle probably would be the Kemper but alas that it is digital and you're still looking for a analog pedal to package Phase inverter Power amp clipping in the preamp of a pedal.

It does sound like George Metropolus is incorporate some type of emulation circuits within his new Metroplex II circuits. I doubt he would evolve that innovation into a pedal taking away his sale of his amps.
the plexitone is great with my peacemaker. the tonebone classic hit with a comp also sounded great with my mojaves.

but i’m looking for something more self sufficient and not so amp dependent. like if synergy had a module that did it to my satisfaction i’d be set. but i haven’t heard it yet.

the ua lion sounds promising and more what i’m trying to find. i’d like to drop it in one of the loops of my GCX switcher and take it from there to either run it into my rack effects or maybe in front of one of my synergy or egnater ie4 channels.

Back