Favorite VH brown sound in a pedal solutions?

When ghost notes are enabled...it really does sound like a real one.

Santiago handled this and he gets it. Also a great base for the EJ sound.

I had one on loan for a bit but now am on guitar holiday for an extended period as I had shoulder/bicep surgery as the result of a bad wreck I was in.

Sorry to hear about your accident....I was there about ten years ago after getting hit head on by a semi truck that blew a stop sign at full highway speed. I was in ICU for weeks and the hospital for almost 3 months so I'm sending you well wishes and a speedy recovery.

The part in this clip where Phil X plays "Kiss My Troublemaker" was a pretty convincing tone.
I think I actually hear some clank and chirp in the first clip...... I don't think I've heard that trait before in a modeling algorithm.......That's pretty cool.

It will be interesting to see if they can get the pedal to actually break into harmonic feedback like a real amp......
:thumbsup:

When ghost notes are enabled...it really does sound like a real one.

Santiago handled this and he gets it. Also a great base for the EJ sound.

I had one on loan for a bit but now am on guitar holiday for an extended period as I had shoulder/bicep surgery as the result of a bad wreck I was in.
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Heal quickly and fully!🙏

JS’s involvement and walk through of the box is one of the main reasons i’m very curious about this thing.

Why has no one suggested maybe the most important (clearly, very important anyway) part of getting his early tone?
Speakers?

I had my JBL 120s on the bottom, and a pair of 8 ohm GBs on top.
Done.
You can use a stock 2204, straight in, through that cab. VHI all day.

had my friend’s thd 2x12 with the cl80 longhorns for a spell.

against my tone tubbies h-bomb 2x12 with the alnico red and ceramic green hempcones,
and a kerry wright 2x12 with celestion 65s,

the thd was the best all around cab from clean to dirty.
for vh the avatar 4x12 with hellatone gh30s was one of the better cabs i had, and fwiw the 4x12 dry marshall cab in Zach’s atomica vid was loaded with hellatone gh30s.

pretty nailed!
now somebody just needs to put this sound in a pedal!

I think you have answered your own question with this post.

Here's what Stefan in the clip said he used in the YT video clip........

Gear used: EVH Stripped Series (Stock), MXR Phase90, Clinch FX EP-PRE, Suhr SL68 Variac-Mode (everything on 10), UA OX BOX.

The OX box has the Sunset Strip reverbs and delays for direct recording. I would say his signal chain is easily repeatable into the plexi amp of your choice and there you have it.................VH1 album tone nailed. It's the same Ox box that Ossie Ahsen uses and Jim Gaustad uses the Sunset Sound

Last edited:
I think you have answered your own question with this post.

Here's what Stefan in the clip said he used in the YT video clip........

Gear used: EVH Stripped Series (Stock), MXR Phase90, Clinch FX EP-PRE, Suhr SL68 Variac-Mode (everything on 10), UA OX BOX.

The OX box has the Sunset Strip reverbs and delays for direct recording. I would say his signal chain is easily repeatable into the plexi amp of your choice and there you have it.................VH1 album tone nailed. It's the same Ox box that Ossie Ahsen uses and Jim Gaustad uses the Sunset Sound
i appreciate your tenacity 🤣 but would rather find a compact and reasonably priced pedal solution i can easily integrate into my rack,

versus make a hefty and redundant purchase when i already have two load boxes, compromise yet another amp’s power tube longevity, figure out where to put this stuff physically and how to connect it all together to switch with my existing rig.

now if the UA Lion would update their box with a sunset sound reverb, that would make a lot more sense to me.

.. i already have two load boxes, compromise yet another amp’s power tube longevity ..
FWIW, No one has experienced degraded tube life from these techniques..

Jim Gaustad says he's been running amps this way for decades, to no ill effect.

I, myself, can say the same thing. My main amp is a JCM-800 being run with two 6CA7's pulled, and variac'ed down to 70VAC into a reactive load box.

FWIW, No one has experienced degraded tube life from these techniques..

Jim Gaustad says he's been running amps this way for decades, to no ill effect.

I, myself, can say the same thing. My main amp is a JCM-800 being run with two 6CA7's pulled, and variac'ed down to 70VAC into a reactive load box.
that’s encouraging. when i was being experimental i pulled two tubes in my peacemaker for a great brown sounding cranked/attenuated thing, but i lost the ability to get the clean tone i liked when rolling off the volume. and i still needed a pedal to boost the sound.

i’ve never tinkered with a variac but am very curious.

that’s encouraging. when i was being experimental i pulled two tubes in my peacemaker for a great brown sounding cranked/attenuated thing, but i lost the ability to get the clean tone i liked when rolling off the volume. and i still needed a pedal to boost the sound.

i’ve never tinkered with a variac but am very curious.
You may (or may not) need to alter the value of the NFB resistor when trying this method.

ymmv

Back