Mick Mars drops 3rd track from his new album.

Modern metal production is exhausting. Shit all sounds the same. Enough with the drum samples and guitars dropped to Z.
True but even for major artists, it’s getting progressively more difficult to record with old techniques and gear.

True but even for major artists, it’s getting progressively more difficult to record with old techniques and gear.

Why? A small studio even with a drumkit and decent mics will give you usable product. With the quality of the plugins today there is zero reason not to. I find that statements like this are thrown around and somehow become the norm when in reality, the quality of musicians has gone down and producers are lazy. They want to fix it all in post. There is an expectation of a certain sound so all these guys are cookie cutter applying this to what they produce. Go back and listen to Maiden or Slayer isolated drum tracks. Those tracks sometimes don't even sound as good as Superior Drummer RAW kits. But they are authentic. There is bleed, you hear real drum heads being hit and above all, you hear the musician doing their job. Having the chops to play the song. I mic my kit with 57's and SM81's. My room isn't treated at the moment but my drums are tuned well and ring is controlled. With hardware or plugins for eq, comp etc.. it sounds authentic and like a good kit. You can't tell me these guys with tracking rooms and control rooms can't do it the same way.

Why? A small studio even with a drumkit and decent mics will give you usable product. With the quality of the plugins today there is zero reason not to. I find that statements like this are thrown around and somehow become the norm when in reality, the quality of musicians has gone down and producers are lazy. They want to fix it all in post. There is an expectation of a certain sound so all these guys are cookie cutter applying this to what they produce. Go back and listen to Maiden or Slayer isolated drum tracks. Those tracks sometimes don't even sound as good as Superior Drummer RAW kits. But they are authentic. There is bleed, you hear real drum heads being hit and above all, you hear the musician doing their job. Having the chops to play the song. I mic my kit with 57's and SM81's. My room isn't treated at the moment but my drums are tuned well and ring is controlled. With hardware or plugins for eq, comp etc.. it sounds authentic and like a good kit. You can't tell me these guys with tracking rooms and control rooms can't do it the same way.
Pretty sure Mick still has all the "old" gear.

They either didn't use it to record this, or it's just over-processed.

Back