What is your favourite guitar tube amplifier? Only one, please

nightlight

Thought this might make a fun thread. What is your go-to or desert island amp? No modellers, please, I know they give a tonne of options. But tube amps only, please.

In other words, if there was one amp to end all amps, which one would it be to you (looking at you Profs @Techdeth)!

I would have to go with... my VHT GP3 Valvulator. Why?

Three channels. Beautiful cleans, an absolutely phenomenal high gain - while still controlled - tone on the second channel and a balls to the wall Channel 3.

I suck at capturing the essence of my amps on recordings, but here are three that I think will convince you.

As for my desert cab, screwed if I know. I prefer my Orange 2x12 out of the three cabs I own - the two others being a Rivera Silent Sister with am Eminence Texas Heat and the other one an Emperor 4x12 with Eminence Governors and Tankers in an X pattern.

But I do feel I need to explore cabinets a bit more, my recordings are so poor.

So do post your "one, so blue. so true" cab here as well.

And post clips, or no one will believe you and just think you're faffing :poke:

Last edited:
I don't really "post clips", but my favorite is my SLO-100 preamp run thru my JCM-800 via passive loop.

:unsure:

Marshall 2203 is my favorite though I use my 2204 more often due to club size and volume restraints. My favorite cab is a straight 4x12 with well broken in greenbacks.

Cabs, please. What are your cabs of choice, good sirs.
I have a 4x12 with a mix of Scumbacks and Celestions, and a 1x12 cab with a Peavey Scorpion.. but I pretty much use a reactive load into my audio interface these days, and use impulse responses in my DAW.

So hard to choose one but if
IMG_0435.gif

I always fall back to my KSR Artemis II
Although I do love the SLO too. Diezel Hagen may be my favorite, I had one for about 7 years and sold it. I finally found one and purchased this morning, so that may be it once it comes in.

For cabs, don’t use much, primarily use my Suhr RL. But still have a Bogner UberKab and Diezel FL I love. They have outlasted many others.

Cabs, please. What are your cabs of choice, good sirs.
Right now, it's a Carvin C412 Legacy half-loaded (so "detuned") with EVM12S Pro-Lines. Within the hour I should hopefully finish wiring it for stereo/mono operation. No amp of choice yet, gotta finish modding something first.

The cab is easy, it would be the 212/115 I built. It has 2- 12" Weber Grey Wolfs and 1- 15" Weber Alnico Blue Dog. Lots of sweet midrange bite and prominent; but not overpowering, low end.

Amp is a bit harder. Tied for favorite are Headfirst Alta, Ground Zero Hellion, and MonoMyth Skeleton Key. If I was forced to choose only one I think I would quit playing all together.

Back