What is your favourite guitar tube amplifier? Only one, please

If its only one? Splawn Quickrod!

20231028_134503~2.jpg

Last edited:
Depends on the month (or day, in some cases). Fortunate to have a bunch of cool amps here and I change it up often.

Right now I'm really, really digging the Orange Rockerverb MkIII which didn't come close to making my top 5 when that thread came up a few months ago. Bright, aggressive pickups like the Fishman Moderns really work well with a darker, looser amp like the Orange.

My 2022 Wizard w800 100w head. Simple 1 ch amp, but with the two inputs, contour and tone pull and boost I can get everything I need out of it from amazing cleans to brutal. Also my favorite head in regards to feel and response: has the punch, clarity, tightness and attack of my MC1 (with a bit less bass extension, more upper mids and a bit less gain) and the bounce of a 90's Bogner Ecstasy.

For cabs, that is tougher. My top 4 are a Redback loaded Marshall cab, greenback loaded Bogner cab, FL Diezel w/ V30's and a '99 Mesa recto cab. Probably go with the '99 recto cab, but I could be happy with any of the 4.

98 Bogner Ecstasy 101B.

There’s nothing that amp does badly and it’s so easy to track, record, and dial in anything I want at any volume. Truly my desert island amp if I had to choose only one.

Yes, that is even over my Mark III++ Coli. That amp only knows one thing and that’s loud. There is no mouse volume anything with it. It also is much stiffer to solo on. It’s a killer amp but not a well rounded amp IMO. I still won’t be getting rid of it because it brings the brutal in ways nothing else can.

Back