ALNICO 3 PAFs and Les Pauls

scottosan

The last time I was on s Les Paul kick, I dabbled with low output PAF and tried to find the best combination of getting really great clean out of the neck pickup and in neck/bridge settings while trying to get the most touch sensitive and dynamic bridge tones that could venture into high gain. Back then, my favorite set was some Wizz PAFs. I loved everything about them except for high gain and moderate volume levels would squeal like crazy being unpotted. I eventually gave up.

Fast forward a decade. Gibson now uses ALNICO 3 in their custom buckers for their reissues. I’ve also become a Greco guitar enthusiast and have read countless posts on their famed Dry Z pickups from 80-82 that fetch stupid money for a set. They also use ALNICO 3’s. So, I started off with some magnet swaps with my stock Greco Screamin pickups that sit around 8.1k bridge and 7.9k neck. A5s for a few days, A4s next, A2s then finally the A3s.

A3s are the weakest of the ALNICO magnets and have long been thought to be too week for many guitar applications. by the time I got to them, it became clear that in the neck positions they were a clear winner for me in that the were clear and bell like with nice overtones on not overbearing in any frequency. Just Right! The bridge was just good, but practical for general use

i then came across the Geppetto Nomads that were supposedly based of off the famed Greco Dry Z. He uses a slightly overwound bridge ~8.7k and a slightly degaussed A3. They are scatter wound, so going a little overland won’t lose much clarity. But the big benefit for me is that I got them potted just like the original Dry Z pickups so that I could venture into high gain. I got them in last week and wanted to try them for a week before passing judgement. I haven’t picked up any other guitars except my LPs with A3’s for a week now. The biggest thing I notice now is that my other guitars sound obnoxious with too much of alot of frequencies in neck and middle settings. You realize how much of the pickups is imposing their their color to the tone, where as the A3 gives a very balanced and honest representation of the guitar with a very musical finesse about it. As for the bridge, the slightly overwound bridge gave it the little bit of needed mojo similar to the sweetness you get for A2 pickups. Honestly, it’s the best clear and balanced high gain tones I’ve gotten from my amps. This may or may not yield the same results with all amps but it really takes advantage of an amp that has alot of gain on tap that would otherwise be unusable after a certain point. I’ve ended up dialing in my rig completely different, but now that I have. I fell like I can’t stand the sound of my other pickups now. These are really a game changer for me. Curious if anyone else have tried these types of PAFs

Last edited:
I had Duncan Custom Shop build me an A3/ low wind/ lightly potted pickup for my Les Paul neck position and I love it. I wouldn't have expected A3 to work in the bridge position as well though.

I had Duncan Custom Shop build me an A3/ low wind/ lightly potted pickup for my Les Paul neck position and I love it. I wouldn't have expected A3 to work in the bridge position as well though.
I do a quick in room clip later. I typically don’t use the 5v clipper settings on my Jose/CCV but it glorious with the A3

I love Custom Buckers and my CS Duncan A3 PAF types. What do you think A3 would do in a high output bridge?

I have a CS Frankenstein that is over 17k. The low mids are too much and no openness or “zing” on high end…….even with no tone pot. The stock A2 is just too fat. I’m considering trying an A3 or A4 mag that I have laying around.

What do you think A3 would do in a high output bridge? I’m considering trying an A3 or A4 mag that I have laying around.

Here's a review of the SH-5 Duncan Custom with an Alnico 3 magnet installed: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/forum/the-pickup-lounge/281467-what-s-a-custom-3

What's a custom 3?

"It is a wonderfully balanced pickup. A slight bit on the dark/warm side in terms of overall voicing, but it has a bit of squish/chewiness to lower notes (less so than the CC), and a bit of warmth and fatness for higher notes (brighter than a CC, not as shimmery as a C5 or ceramic...somewhat similar to the character of the C8's highs, but not as round), with a solid, present midrange. Really good pick attack so it's clear and articulate across the entire spectrum from lowest lows to highest highs. Sorta medium-ish output, 'round the same as a CC, definitely way less than a stock Custom, C8 or C5.

It is what I want to hear when I see the term "beefed up PAF". It's not a super hot PAF kinda thing like the stock custom is, but it's got a bit more muscle, more output and a bit more of a modern voicing than a proper PAF, without losing the inherent clarity and gentle soulful character that you would expect from a PAF. It cleans up really nicely, has a great raw rock voice with medium gain, and bizarrely enough, it is friggin PERFECTLY voiced for metal. The articulation and balanced EQ just work perfectly for that.

It's currently loaded in my Jolly roger cutlasscaster which is basically just a hardtail alder body/maple neck+fretboard strat. I went through every other version of the Custom that I could do (stock, C8, C5, CUOA5, C4) before settling on the RCA3. Once I got the height dialed in, I haven't touched it. It's been untouched for almost a full year now, and I have no reservations or complaints. It's just perfect for this guitar.

I really liked the C4 also, but it was lacking a bit when it came to articulation and pick attack, a nice bold midrange and ability to cut through. The RCA3 version does all that effortlessly and it SINGS beautifully for leads. Really couldn't ask for something better."

I have a set of Florance VooDoo 59 pickups that came in my R7 Custom. The neck has an A3 magnet. I liked it so much that I ordered an A3 magnet and put in on my Duncan Antiquity neck. The A3 in the neck pickup really helps it to shine.

I have been wiring my les pauls with modern wiring for the bridge pu which takes some of the edge off when rolling down the volume control, and 50s wiring for the neck pu which makes it slightly brighter. . When rolling down the neck volume there is no treble loss so it doesn’t get muddy. Just a matter of where the cap goes to the lugs between the volume and tone control.

I've always wanted to try those under wound Custombuckers that Gibson did for Wildwood and some of the other boutique stores. I bet they're great in the neck of position.

@scottosan, I resurrected this thread because I'd like to know if you've done any more experiments with A3 magnets. I enjoy your posts.

The video you posted in this thread is great.
I really like A3’s and asked Scott about them. He made a slightly underwound Sunset Strip along with a bunch of magnets to try. The A3 was my favorite, followed by one of the A5s he sent. It takes to high gain so well.

I will read through the thread later but honestly I think the lower powered pups just have better tone and articulation. I get my punch from my pre and pedals. Besides…fricker said it’s snake oil….who would dare question that cock gobbler?

I love Custom Buckers and my CS Duncan A3 PAF types. What do you think A3 would do in a high output bridge?

I have a CS Frankenstein that is over 17k. The low mids are too much and no openness or “zing” on high end…….even with no tone pot. The stock A2 is just too fat. I’m considering trying an A3 or A4 mag that I have laying around.
So I did the RC A2 to RC A3 swap in the Custom Shop Frankenstein today. Pickup measures15.75k……..not 17k+ like I originally thought.

Instantly better from the first note. First thing that came to mind was Lynch BFTA tone. The A3 focused up all the loose/fat sounding low mids and tightened everything up. Don’t hear much difference on top end……so it didn’t really fix my “zing” issue. No noticeable loss of output. A definite improvement over stock and it’s staying there.

IMG_8738.jpeg

So I did the RC A2 to RC A3 swap in the Custom Shop Frankenstein today. Pickup measures15.75k……..not 17k+ like I originally thought.

Instantly better from the first note. First thing that came to mind was Lynch BFTA tone. The A3 focused up all the loose/fat sounding low mids and tightened everything up. Don’t hear much difference on top end……so it didn’t really fix my “zing” issue. No noticeable loss of output. A definite improvement over stock and it’s staying there.

View attachment 285200
Hard to get the zing on a high output pickup in my opinion.

Back