Line 6 Helix or Fractal with Headrush??

romanianreaper

This is a bit of a stab in the dark. I'm not ready to do anything like this right now but in the future if I decided to simplify my rig and go modeling, would a Line 6 or Fractal pedal eith a Headrush speaker be a great setup? I use a simple combo amp now. Was just curious what people like when it comes to cheaper and smaller modeling rigs.

Can't comment on Line 6 but Fractal stuff is outstanding! I had the Headrush 108s ans I thought they sounded incredible! The Fractal snobs put the Headrush down but I've owned the Atomic CLRs, yes they sound better but at 3 times the price.

I did modeling since the original Vox Tonelab tabletop, had a Fractal Ultra and Helix, and many others.

I would seriously look at software plugins, last year I sold my modelers except for my SY-1000 (I use it as a guitar synth mostly) and built a computer rig because of PolyChrome DSP McRocklin Suite, a few Neural DSP plugins, Softube Marshall Amp Room and I have Helix Native.

My computer rig has a small computer, audio interface, wireless keyboard/mouse and a touchscreen, and a KMI SoftStep2 for MIDI control of all the software plugins. No latency or reliability issues, but I don't gig with it.

You can get a trial version of Helix Native that sounds / works much like the Helix so you can see if the Helix works for you.

IMO, Helix is easier to use and get good sounds from with less tweaking; The Fractal sound great but if you're not careful you can get lost in the deep parameters and editing. If you want complete control of your sound, many options, etc., the Fractal may be better.

If your amp has an effects loop, maybe try the HX Effects, I have one, and it has the same effects as the Helix, and you can get a discount on Helix Native if you buy the HX-FX new.

That said, many pros have sound engineers that program their modeler for them; some pros keep it simple and don't get lost in the myriad of choices.

It depends on your situation.

Are you gigging? Are you rocking in your bedroom? Are you recording?

I've been Fractal since 2009. If I was only recording, I'd do software amps. If I was bedroom rocking I'd look at Helix/Fractal/Fender.

Gigging, I'd definitely do Fractal but the FRFR thing is goofy in my world.

I love modeling but hate the FRFR stuff. Going into a real cab is much more enjoyable to me. Various ways to skin that cat, but if you’re just sticking to playing in the house any small class D amp will work to power a cab. Those don’t start showing their non-tube traits until you crank the shit out of them.

I love modeling but hate the FRFR stuff. Going into a real cab is much more enjoyable to me. Various ways to skin that cat, but if you’re just sticking to playing in the house any small class D amp will work to power a cab. Those don’t start showing their non-tube traits until you crank the shit out of them.
I try and I try, but I just cant play FRFR, lol. I even got monitors with a sub to help with the rumble, but still.... always something missing. I am not sure how people do it. I think it is probably fine for clean effected tones, but not for high gain chug.

I try and I try, but I just cant play FRFR, lol. I even got monitors with a sub to help with the rumble, but still.... always something missing. I am not sure how people do it. I think it is probably fine for clean effected tones, but not for high gain chug.

Playing through studio monitors while tracking is as close as I can get and be comfortable. I couldn’t imagine experiencing that in a live setting onstage and not via in-ears. I’ve got a sub with my studio monitors and have cranked ‘em up pretty loud, just a different thing altogether.

Plus, at the end of the day you’re just taking a close-mic’d cab IR and cranking it up to gig volume, which isn’t what happens with a real cab.

I had the Headrush frfr with the Kemper. I didn't really like it. I've owned a couple hx stomps and qc. Now I have the FM3 and love it. If I was going to build an easy rig I would go FM3, PA50, and a 1x12 with a redback

Yeah, I might just end up getting something with a power amp and real cab. It is fun running thru tons of amps, etc. but at the end of the day, I'm a Marshall tone guy so always stayed on a Friedman.

when I was jamming for Jesus my church rig was a line 6 hd500 floor unit into the PA. It was awesome. It might not be as good as the real thing but there's killer usable sounds in there. Their website is proof of that. The helix stuff is supposed to be next level but that's the only experience I have. Walk in carrying that and a guitar....walk out the same way. No setting up and taking down. Any of those units with a powered speaker or portable PA unit would kill. Look at the harley benton powered units. I think Olga(lol) did a review on them and really liked them.

Besides my computer rig, I've been on an amp purchasing effort, most recently a custom build from Ceriatone of an AC-100 MkII.

Late last year I picked up a "floor preamp" - ISP Theta DSP Pro - Michael Sweet and it sounded amazing, '80s in a box. I picked up an ISP Steal Pro solid state amp to run the stage out into it then into a Mesa Compact 2x12; I also ran the direct outs into a powered PA with the limited cab sims (not IR based), and it sounded very good too.

Next up, I plan to run the Theta Pro stage outs (L & R) into my Engl E850/100 Power amp, with each side going into an Engl PRO E212VHB. I have to move a few things around, those cabs are currently connected to my Engl E651 Artist Edition head.

FWIW, the ISP Theta Pro is an old school rack preamp / effects in a floor controller; it's not a modeler. If you have power amp and guitar cabs you like, you can find a Marshall/Mesa etc. preamp setting thanks to all the EQ controls. It's tedious to program, just like an ADA MP-1 or MP-2.

I got mine used, in like new condition, at a great price.

Playing through studio monitors while tracking is as close as I can get and be comfortable. I couldn’t imagine experiencing that in a live setting onstage and not via in-ears. I’ve got a sub with my studio monitors and have cranked ‘em up pretty loud, just a different thing altogether.

Plus, at the end of the day you’re just taking a close-mic’d cab IR and cranking it up to gig volume, which isn’t what happens with a real cab.
Yeah, I find it can sound OK, especially in terms of a mix, but it is so boring to play. Feels so flat to play. Uninspiring.

I wish I could find a way around this that doesn't involve a poweramp and cab. I do think Fractal's ultra-res cabs help a lot. I wonder if their full-res cabs would help.

Besides my computer rig, I've been on an amp purchasing effort, most recently a custom build from Ceriatone of an AC-100 MkII.

Late last year I picked up a "floor preamp" - ISP Theta DSP Pro - Michael Sweet and it sounded amazing, '80s in a box. I picked up an ISP Steal Pro solid state amp to run the stage out into it then into a Mesa Compact 2x12; I also ran the direct outs into a powered PA with the limited cab sims (not IR based), and it sounded very good too.

Next up, I plan to run the Theta Pro stage outs (L & R) into my Engl E850/100 Power amp, with each side going into an Engl PRO E212VHB. I have to move a few things around, those cabs are currently connected to my Engl E651 Artist Edition head.

FWIW, the ISP Theta Pro is an old school rack preamp / effects in a floor controller; it's not a modeler. If you have power amp and guitar cabs you like, you can find a Marshall/Mesa etc. preamp setting thanks to all the EQ controls. It's tedious to program, just like an ADA MP-1 or MP-2.

Yeah, that ISP Theta Pro looks like they took their old Rocktron Chameleon / Voodoo Valve designs and put it in a pedal. I was looking at those recently. I love the old Rocktron effects units. I like using them with my Synergy rig.

Reactions: rsm

I almost got one of those years ago. I was hanging out with Keeley up at Sweetwater in his booth, and those guys were right next to his. Michael Sweet was there earlier and I missed him.

Reactions: rsm
Yeah, I find it can sound OK, especially in terms of a mix, but it is so boring to play. Feels so flat to play. Uninspiring.

I wish I could find a way around this that doesn't involve a poweramp and cab. I do think Fractal's ultra-res cabs help a lot. I wonder if their full-res cabs would help.

Some people dig the full-res cabs for that, I think I tried them once but to do it in the OG AxeFX III is a bit of a PITA and it wasn’t a huge enough difference to me.

I’m fortunate that when I’m writing/recording, I’m so focused on the overall song that I don’ really need the inspiration from a cab a few feet away to get me going, generally in those times I’m like 1/4 guitar player and 3/4’s producer/writer. Really, hahahah the longer I do this, the less guitar-player focused I am and the more the gear is a means to an end.

I did not like the Headrush 108s.
I've tried different FRFRs through the years and they were my least favourite.

That being said, they have a MK2 version which is supposed to be a bit better.

Back