I'm getting a new guitar today, and I need some suggestions for a...dare I say? Country song to learn

old school, Roy Clark was very good; so was Glen Campbell though he rarely demonstrated it.

Then there's Chet Atkins.

Hank III was a fav years ago

some of the stuff i like:

-The entire Alan Jackson "A Lot About Livin" album. The world's proper introduction to Brent Mason, some insane playing on that one.
-
-Waylon Jennings Lonesome On'ry and Mean
-Merle Haggard Working Man Blues
-Merle Haggard Swinging Doors
-Merle Haggard Makeup and Faded Blue Jeans
-Merle Haggard Honky Tonk Night Time Man (cool jazz lick in this one I stole from Roy Nichols)
-Brooks and Dunn Brand New Man album

More current\rockin\Southern-flavored stuff:

Luke Combs (newish pop rock country but some decent big guitar sounds)
The entire Stapleton Traveler album
Jompson Brothers (Stapleton)
Steel Woods
Blackberry Smoke

If you feel frisky, check out Jimmy Olander from Diamond Rio and the first Diamond Rio album. because of his use of palm benders and other string benders, just damn near impossible to play.

bDxK9lYl.jpg

James Hetfield biggest influence was Ted Nugent.
Ted Nugent biggest influence was June Carter Cash.

How all three use the picking hand is very similar.

I didn't think I'd ever say that as I'm an 80s metal head to the day I die, however, this relic'ed Tele I'm getting today has me thinking maybe I need to learn a couple fun, easy country songs; especially the more modern kind that have more rock based solos than all that fancy chicken pickin' stuff, which I'll never be able to do.
Cool guitar...

I would recommend going down the Drive By Truckers / Jason Isbell rabbit hole...lots of dirty Tele tones, gritty alt country stuff here. Jason Isbell is a pretty ripping player as well...

Live version with the 400 Unit

I didn't think I'd ever say that as I'm an 80s metal head to the day I die, however, this relic'ed Tele I'm getting today has me thinking maybe I need to learn a couple fun, easy country songs; especially the more modern kind that have more rock based solos than all that fancy chicken pickin' stuff, which I'll never be able to do.

Check out summers coming by Clint black, you're playing a country song but was played by the great Dan Huff, he's all over country music so there plenty of good licks to be learned.

Check out summers coming by Clint black, you're playing a country song but was played by the great Dan Huff, he's all over country music so there plenty of good licks to be learned.
Dan Huff is literally the man. When I worked at GC, we had a guy working with us who toured with Boston as their bassist to fill in for their original guy, so he knew all these big time bands and musicians and hooked me up with a copy of Dan Huff's band's album....wow.

Dan Huff is literally the man. When I worked at GC, we had a guy working with us who toured with Boston as their bassist to fill in for their original guy, so he knew all these big time bands and musicians and hooked me up with a copy of Dan Huff's band's album....wow.
Yeah, he's the man, after listening to 90s country for years I finally realized he's all over those albums, another notable is Tim McGraw "when she wakes up and finds me gone" Dan killed that one. Enjoy your new guitar.

Back