What’s the go-to KT88 today?

leib10

Wondering what everyone is using for current-production KT88s today. I’ve had a quad of JJ KT88s that lasted a long time that I liked, but I’m not sure if the current production of those tubes is up to the old standard of quality.

Wondering what everyone is using for current-production KT88s today. I’ve had a quad of JJ KT88s that lasted a long time that I liked, but I’m not sure if the current production of those tubes is up to the old standard of quality.
I just put Gold Lion KT88's in my Shiva 20th a few months back ....... love them !!!

JJ tubes are made in Slovakia which isn’t a part of current world trade bans which means they’re the more reliable option at the moment. Everything from New Sensor is garbage - glass is shattering from shit quality, tubes aren’t lasting as long or arriving dead or microphonic, it’s just a shit show for tubes right now and prices never came back down from covid once companies realized how much of a monopoly they had.

JJ tubes are made in Slovakia which isn’t a part of current world trade bans which means they’re the more reliable option at the moment. Everything from New Sensor is garbage - glass is shattering from shit quality, tubes aren’t lasting as long or arriving dead or microphonic, it’s just a shit show for tubes right now and prices never came back down from covid once companies realized how much of a monopoly they had.
100%, i had to stop selling tubes because of that.

I tried a bunch and the EH KT88 sound the best to me by a large margin. I tried several quads of various brands in two different amps including the JJs and Gold Lion.

Not many choices. Never had a problem with JJ's. I'm using an old pair in my Deliverance D60 build and I have to say they didn't need to be replaced in the 1st place, so lots of life left in them as far as I can tell.. I've been pounding them on my Attenuator for weeks now and they are holding strong.
Gold Lions are asking a big personal favor with the prices they're charging. I don't owe them shit, so I couldn't tell you how they sound.
I once got a Quad of EH's from Tube Depot and they were so wildly out of match, they were unusable. Fuck Tube Depot, I'll always tell that story because they were like have a nice day. Don't buy from TD..

I know steve fryette was saying the eh were the way to go a couple years back, so I snagged a pair from doug's tubes right before the "crisis".
Still haven't installed them yet though. My OG D60 currently has the svetlana 6550s with the straight bottle shape. They sound good but very forward and in-the-face. I'm hoping when I do install the eh and bias it correctly that there will be slightly more spread to the spectrum.

I’m digging the Shuguang KT88-98, detailed high end clarity, tight lows. You might need to dial down your highs with them.

I thought the EH KT88’s were a bit harsh in the top end but I feel like their 6550’s don’t really do the rumbly 6550 thing, they sound more like KT88’s to me with open mids that cut so good.

I haven’t tried EHX KT88’s, but I really like their KT90’s. I hate their pre-amp tubes though and they’ve failed me more than any others

I just got jammed with about 470 volts.. I was trying the stock EH Kt88s in my Amp as a pallet cleanser and shorted the tip of my finger from the Bear Trap Spring to the metal base.. It burnt the tip and I smelled that burnt hair smell instantly..

That's 1 reason to buy JJs.. Their metal bases are NOT wired to the voltage Pins..

Back