SOLD! Mesa Boogie Mark III Coliseum

NineShallDie

I’m selling a 1986 Mark III No stripe Coliseum. It’s a KG - no reverb, 180W version. Currently wired for 220V, but Coliseums can be wired for either 220 or 110V.

Serviced by an Italian tech before I got it in 2020. No issues.

Amp is located in Sweden
€3250/$3500 + shipping

Hit me up if you’re interested!

IMG_8825.jpeg
IMG_8816.jpeg

Last edited:
For those that didn’t know, the No stripe/black stripe coliseum is the defacto Sykes tone. It’s what he used to record and preferred overall. I prefer the KRG/KG over the KDRG/KDG as full pentode for all six tubes shakes your pants legs.

Killer price as it leaves room for customs taxes/shipping.

Free bump

I can tell you right now the number of KG black stripe coliseums I’ve seen for sale on this forum and the number is this one lol.

There just aren’t that many around, and it’s priced reasonable and not through the roof. If you can swing it and customs then go for it :rock:

Reactions: rsm
For those that didn’t know, the No stripe/black stripe coliseum is the defacto Sykes tone. It’s what he used to record and preferred overall. I prefer the KRG/KG over the KDRG/KDG as full pentode for all six tubes shakes your pants legs.

Killer price as it leaves room for customs taxes/shipping.

Free bump
Curious, is it clear what model of No Stripe coliseum Sykes preferred?

Curious, is it clear what model of No Stripe coliseum Sykes preferred?
The only options to choose from are pentode or simulclass and whether it had reverb or not. The graphic eq is a given.

The pentode and simulclass would be more a feel thing. Under a mic I’m not sure you could tell a major difference as the No stripe/black stripe matters more here. My understanding is that in the studio he double tracked with no stripe coliseums in stereo using delay.

The onboard reverb matters more with later versions of mark IIIs as they get more brash on the top end. I use the onboard reverb set to 1-2 just to take the ice pick off of the lead notes on upper registers without softening the rhythm tracks. For a no stripe with or without reverb doesn’t really matter - what matters is the onboard graphic EQ and IMHO it having full pentode for true 180W headroom. The rest are preference.

The only options to choose from are pentode or simulclass and whether it had reverb or not. The graphic eq is a given.

The pentode and simulclass would be more a feel thing. Under a mic I’m not sure you could tell a major difference as the No stripe/black stripe matters more here. My understanding is that in the studio he double tracked with no stripe coliseums in stereo using delay.

The onboard reverb matters more with later versions of mark IIIs as they get more brash on the top end. I use the onboard reverb set to 1-2 just to take the ice pick off of the lead notes on upper registers without softening the rhythm tracks. For a no stripe with or without reverb doesn’t really matter - what matters is the onboard graphic EQ and IMHO it having full pentode for true 180W headroom. The rest are preference.
I don’t know if it was all from being pentode or not, but the no stripe krg iii++ I owned had a much bigger low end and beefier sound than the 2 blue stripe iii++‘s I had and like you said less harsh highs. It was the closest iii I heard so far to sounding like my iic+

Back