Wizard MC II + BOSS SD-1

lessarti

Alright so I decided to finally try and see what the lead channel with amp lead boost "OFF" and "ON" sounded like along with BOSS SD-1. Details of settings on the BOSS are in description in youtube link.

Pretty cool results in my opinion, I think I still like it best with lead channel boost ON and no SD-1 for rhythms, and engaging SD-1 with lead ch boost on for leads.

Edit: I have to admit, after making this vid I had the SD-1 Level backed off to around 2 O'clock vs 3 O'clock in vid with tone still at 11 and dist OFF. Backed off a tad more on gain so it wasn't crazy saturated when the amps lead boost was ON, that was perfect for me for lead sounds and crazy high gain fire breathing dragon, but it was enough to use amp lead boost on for rhythms without relying on SD1.

This entire experiment was to see if it was possible to use the boost SD 1 pedal on lead channel without lead boost on for a decent thrash sound.

Last edited:
I generally don't use the amp's boost, only an external boost. Lately using a Wizard Leopard and it kills. Have you tried one of those with your MC2? If not, I'd highly recommend that you do. I've never played an SD-1 so I couldn't say how it would compare.

I generally don't use the amp's boost, only an external boost. Lately using a Wizard Leopard and it kills. Have you tried one of those with your MC2? If not, I'd highly recommend that you do. I've never played an SD-1 so I couldn't say how it would compare.
I also like the Leopard with Wizards (MTL, MC, MCII) also like the Maxon OD808x and Suhr Koko (OG 2 button) the Warm Audio ODD is also good.

I have not tried the leopard but i imagine it would be similar to SD-1 but more transparent vs BOSS presence flavor it adds, either way I have been curious about the leopard boost for sure... maybe should just pull the trigger..

The Leopard isn't as nasally as the SD-1 and doesn't suck out the lows - it's more Klon-ish
Hmmm well that makes me really on the fence about it, because i used to own a Suhr koko boost reloaded and did not like how it interacted at all. I do like how the Sd 1 sounds but tone knob higher up at Noon or more is too nasally for sure that's why I dialed it back for the vid.

Hmmm well that makes me really on the fence about it, because i used to own a Suhr koko boost reloaded and did not like how it interacted at all. I do like how the Sd 1 sounds but tone knob higher up at Noon or more is too nasally for sure that's why I dialed it back for the vid.
The reload sucks - the OG version has more character and snarl than the reloaded one. If you’re into Klon style boosts give the Leopard a try. I use the OD808x with my MCII and MTL most of the time, but the Leopard has a cool vibe when you don’t wanna lose low.

I bought a Leopard boost to use with my W800 and MC1 and yeah, it absolutely KILLS! I am not a huge boost guy, but the Leopard is top tier and I liked it better than the Maxon tubescreamer and Boss SD-1 I own.

While we're talking about the MC II, can anybody tell me what the MCII Black Kat Mod does? Clips make it sound like it adds more switchable gain to the rhythm channel, but does anybody know what it's doing on a technical level?

The reload sucks - the OG version has more character and snarl than the reloaded one. If you’re into Klon style boosts give the Leopard a try. I use the OD808x with my MCII and MTL most of the time, but the Leopard has a cool vibe when you don’t wanna lose low.
I appreciate that, and I did reach out to Rick about the Leopard pedal as well as which of the three pedals offered would do what I described. He said either Leopard boost or Crunch will do what I need per say. However, availability for new pedals will not be until June as they are waiting on specific parts and components to make them.

The Duncan 805, Fortin Ts9 kill with the MCII. The Mesa Goldmine I really liked with it too, wish I would have used that pedal more while I had the Wizards. I don't like the Goldmine with my current amps as much as the 805 & Ts9, but with the MCII it killed. Gave, as you might imagine, a bit of Mesa flavor which worked great.

The Leopard isn't as nasally as the SD-1 and doesn't suck out the lows - it's more Klon-ish
Anychance you can make a video just demonstrating your MC with Lead ch boost off but leopard pedal on? Then lead ch boost on with leopard on? I'm trying to imagine it but can't really in my head. Just curious.

Back