Splawn Quick Rod vs Suhr SE 100?

MrFlexx

Anyone compared the two? How would you compare them to each other? I've only listened to some clips on YouTube and there's no chance trying one where I live as almost no store in Northern Eurpoe are selling boutique amps. What do you like better or like less on both?

While I haven't played the Suhr 100SE, it is a single channel amp. So, keep that in mind. I have played a few Kemper profiles of it, and wasn't impressed. But that could just be how someone else dialed it in.

I owned a 2005 QuickRod for about five years. Great sounding amps. They are LOUD!!! Like ungodly loud. I only ran it at one show when I didn't have to use my attenuator. (Outdoor festival show.) Two channels with a boost. The FX loop is ok, but nothing special.

Haven´t played the Suhr SE, but I have had several of its closest SE siblings and still have the Custom Audio OD100 SE+. Very saturated, a ton of low end, not the typical Marshall peaky mids, a bit sizzly up top in the best possible way. That circuit was originally designed in 1993, and that tells a big part of the story. The Quickrods I´ve played basically sound like tweaked Marshalls, like what the JCM900s should have been.

While I haven't played the Suhr 100SE, it is a single channel amp. So, keep that in mind. I have played a few Kemper profiles of it, and wasn't impressed. But that could just be how someone else dialed it in.

I owned a 2005 QuickRod for about five years. Great sounding amps. They are LOUD!!! Like ungodly loud. I only ran it at one show when I didn't have to use my attenuator. (Outdoor festival show.) Two channels with a boost. The FX loop is ok, but nothing special.
I own a Splawn and mostly wonder how it compares to the Quick Rod to know if I should get one too.

Apples and Oranges, I've done demos for both, very different amps..The Quickrod can get more of a modded plexi VH tone whereas the Suhr is more of a smoother type of distortion a la Lukather, Schon, so really depends on what you're looking for.
I own a Splawn and mostly wonder how it compares to the Quick Rod to know if I should get one too. From what you described I'm even more interested of complete with the Suhr SE 100.

 Amps

I was thinking about a Fully loaded newer Splawn I had with my brand new PT Sig Suhr
I have to say the Splawn was the winner.

To each there own though.:cheers:
Yeah I had and also sold the Suhr PT 100, still have a fully loaded Quickrod, which I really like. More marshall DNA in its sound compared to the Suhr.

Last edited:
Yeah I had and also sold the Suhr PT 100, still have a fully loaded Quickrod, which I really like. More marshall DNA in its sound compared to the Suhr.
The PT 100 sounds like a totally different amp than the SE 100 from all the demos I've heard from it. From the demos of SE 100 that is. I've tried the PT 100 and it wasn't for me. Did like the OD100 though.

I found that both iterations of the SE100/SE lead mod were fairly similar to the BE100 with the sat switch engaged. Very smooth circuit with tons of gain. Pretty lose as well considering the amount of gain. Very fun amp if you’re after that type of tone/feel. Sold both of mine because I found myself setting the gain at 1.5-2 for most of what I play and maybe max of 3 at times.

Whatever Splawn you get, it is more versatile with the Old/New & Mid Cut. ...I've got both a QR and Comp fully loaded. Those options definitely make a difference in tone and feel.

Had a Splawn Pro Mod back in the day that I believe was essentially a QR with KT88s. To use a VH comparison, I thought it sounded very 1984 ish in a band setting.

Never played the SE 100, but I think it is probably more like VH “Dream Is Over” tone (left speaker only dry tone) off of the Carnal Knowledge album. More gain, sizzle, and bottom end than the QR.

Back