MXR sig RR Polkadot Disto +?

that circuit is so small ...... IMO ... you're paying for a black enclosure and polka dots ..... which I get .... I love Randy

Ok here it is... Distortion + built to " vintage" specs with the following:

1- Tight switch ( contain the woof)
2- Pre /Post EQ curve switch

Polkadots. Non negotiable.

Randy was the key to Randys tone that and his Marshalls that were modded by Marshall.

There is debate on whether he really had that mod done to all his Marshalls. My Bugera has the cascaded input and it gives you more grind but can be too much with the combination of pedal sauce that he had active. I'd say his stock Marshalls easily do the trick with the Distortion + and EQ as boosts. Then those altecs. The Altecs are the key and that has been said over and over again. That and his hands obviously.

Ok here it is... Distortion + built to " vintage" specs with the following:

1- Tight switch ( contain the woof)
2- Pre /Post EQ curve switch

Polkadots. Non negotiable.
so you think there's an eq in the circuit that can be moved around ?

I did some quick research this morning on it ..... if it was even modded ( which seemed up in the air from the sources I ran into ) it was changing the value or removing like 3 parts ... there's maybe 20 total parts in the whole circuit ... ( 21 if you count the pots )

I can build one with any mods you deem fit .... I think Wampler had some of his published in that old Premiere Guitar article ...

from what I remember when I researched Randy's effects years ago .... was that pedalboard was just a bunch of his favorite pedals taken out of the enclosures and re housed in that mammoth pedal board thing ...... it was noisy AF and almost never worked right .

Last edited:
There is debate on whether he really had that mod done to all his Marshalls. My Bugera has the cascaded input and it gives you more grind but can be too much with the combination of pedal sauce that he had active. I'd say his stock Marshalls easily do the trick with the Distortion + and EQ as boosts. Then those altecs. The Altecs are the key and that has been said over and over again. That and his hands obviously.

Yeah it was done. He used pedals of course. Not many pedals available in 1981.

so you think there's an eq in the circuit that can be moved around ?

I did some quick research this morning on it ..... if it was even modded ( which seemed up in the air from the sources I ran into ) it was changing the value or removing like 3 parts ... there's maybe 20 total parts in the whole circuit ... ( 21 if you count the pots )

I can build one with any mods you deem fit .... I think Wampler had some of his published in that old Premiere Guitar article ...

from what I remember when I researched Randy's effects years ago .... was that pedalboard was just a bunch of his favorite pedals taken out of the enclosures and re housed in that mammoth pedal board thing ...... it was noisy AF and almost never worked right .

Essentially yes, this. A noisy thing which didn't always work great. What I am thinking is that the new MXR pedal will probably have a switch to kick in a predefined EQ curve after the circuit which is the way he would have run it if memory serves me correctly. I don't think they will make it pre or post selectable. MXR isn't a custom shop no matter how many times they put " custom" on a name of a pedal :D

Yeah it was done. He used pedals of course. Not many pedals available in 1981.

I'm saying that the gain added with the mod is less important than the stacked drive and EQ push and altecs. IMO.. he's essentially there in QR days before he had the bucks for factory mods.

Essentially yes, this. A noisy thing which didn't always work great. What I am thinking is that the new MXR pedal will probably have a switch to kick in a predefined EQ curve after the circuit which is the way he would have run it if memory serves me correctly. I don't think they will make it pre or post selectable. MXR isn't a custom shop no matter how many times they put " custom" on a name of a pedal :D
When you get a chance ..... read through this quick ..... let me know if there's anything you want to try ...... with the parts count on these I could probably do some clones for under a 100 .... can even do polka dots ..... I just wouldn't put a " RR " on it anywhere .....

but Wampler lists pretty much any mod you can do to the circuit in this article

https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/mxr-distortion-plus-mods

.... and what the mod will give you in return .... shows you how small the schematic/ circuit is .....

I always thought the consensus was his tone is nothing to really chase. It was his playing that was the magic. Granted I dig how wild the sound is he gets on the live Tribute album but his studio tone was never anything great.

Last edited:
I always thought the consensus was his tone is nothing to really chase. It was his playing that was the magic. Granted I dig how wild the sound he gets on the live Tribute album but his studio tone was never anything great.
there was a vid that came out not to long ago with Paul Gilbert and that English guy no one seems to like that works for Sweetwater ..... was all about Randy's tone .... I'll have to find it

found it ......

I'd have to agree.... his tone on the albums was definitely not stellar

I'm saying that the gain added with the mod is less important than the stacked drive and EQ push and altecs. IMO.. he's essentially there in QR days before he had the bucks for factory mods.

Um okay well we all have our opines about RR's tone from 50 years ago lol.
That & 15 peso's will get you a cup of joe in Cuba.
The polka dots is just marketing IMO. Never been impressed w/a D+.
I got 5 overdrives now and just sold 10 other pedals.
RR had alot of gear troubles on tour. When he played here 1/2 thru the show his amps crapped out and he walked off stage.
Didn't return either.

• Wow
Reactions: rsm
there was a vid that came out not to long ago with Paul Gilbert and that English guy no one seems to like that works for Sweetwater ..... was all about Randy's tone .... I'll have to find it

Here’s a reminder for you on the English guy..

“I’ll see you in Hell my friends!!”

Last edited:
Um okay well we all have our opines about RR's tone from 50 years ago lol.
That & 15 peso's will get you a cup of joe in Cuba.
The polka dots is just marketing IMO. Never been impressed w/a D+.
I got 5 overdrives now and just sold 10 other pedals.
RR had alot of gear troubles on tour. When he played here 1/2 thru the show his amps crapped out and he walked off stage.
Didn't return either.
How did the crowd react? No backline amps he could have used?

..... I just wouldn't put a " RR " on it anywhere .....

How about a graphic? LOL!

RR Crossing.png

found it ......

:checkthisout:

Last edited:
Back