Power Amp shootout by Michael Nielsen.... H&H v800, VHT 2150, Fryette Power Station, Rivera TBR1-SL

Really depends on the application....for Preamp situation tube power amps are ideal(even though the H&H certainly held it's own), for a head slaving setup the H&H is more ideal(you'd already have presence /negative feedback from the slaved head, not needing to double it with a tube power amp.....I think having a slaved head through a Reactive load should have been one of the sources to test with as well instead of only a preamp. Cool vid either way.

Really depends on the application....for Preamp situation tube power amps are ideal(even though the H&H certainly held it's own), for a head slaving setup the H&H is more ideal(you'd already have presence /negative feedback from the slaved head, not needing to double it with a tube power amp.....I think having a slaved head through a Reactive load should have been one of the sources to test with as well instead of only a preamp. Cool vid either way.
Agree....for a WDW situation, it's hard to beat the V800 for its ability to mimic almost perfectly the slaved amp. All the great monster tube power amps, killer as they are will put their spin on it. Too bad he wasn't able to corral a Mesa S400/500 for his vid.

My only gripe with the TBR is weight.. otherwise I could live with it very happily for the rest of my life as a stand alone. I used it as power as well but I don’t see a huge difference between the 2150 or the PS100. Having said that I love the PS100 because of the ability to up the ante on channel and effects with a dedicated footswitch also has rack attachment for easy carry and not to mention it’s only about 10 lbs. the TBR sl1 is like 60 lbs and the SL2 is like 70 pounds. Both front controls look like the inside of a cockpit. Again as standalone amps- Tbr is it, as power amps; I’d go small with ps100.

+1
Now that I have this EVH SDE3000, I'm interested in running wdw. I'd like to so with a simple power amp setup, vs using the effects loop of 2 other amps (pain in the ass with different type amps).

Hard to find a V800. What other ss power amps would be good for this? Art? Carvin? QSC? Crown?

+1
Now that I have this EVH SDE3000, I'm interested in running wdw. I'd like to so with a simple power amp setup, vs using the effects loop of 2 other amps (pain in the ass with different type amps).

Hard to find a V800. What other ss power amps would be good for this? Art? Carvin? QSC? Crown?
@RedPlated spoke pretty highly of the Avantone CLA-100 . 100W stereo, 1U, no fan noise. I’ve never tried it but I want one.

EDIT: requires a simple adaptation for the speaker outs.

I have a PS-100. It doesn't color much. I used the poweramp in my Mesa Mark IV lots of times. 8 voices and the GEQ works.
I haven't use stereo in a long time. W/D occasionally.

+1

Dave F. is recommending the Avantone CLA power amps, I'm not sure if the Matrix power amps are still available, I get great results with the Duncan Power Stage 700 for this application....it is stupid loud and sounds great....David Phillips(LA sound design) gives the Duncan power stage power amps the nod,.... David posted a Slaved Naylor EVH rig a while back using them, cool stuff!

PS 700 in my rig:
IMG_8245.JPG

A Mesa 2:90 would have killed all those. Works very well with the Soldano voicing in my own experience.
+1 Great power amp for preamp based rigs(used one with different MP-1/Triaxis/3+SE rigs through the years and always sounded great, wish I had kept mine)

I liked the Rivera the best out of the shootout then the Fryette power station for some reason. I was really disappointed in the H&HV800 it sounded kinda tubby in this shootout. Maybe it's different as a slave amp......:unsure::dunno:

Last edited:
+1

I have a Matrix GT1000FX and I always felt it could punch harder on the low end like what you feel in front of a cranked 100 Watt Marshall. So since I have always wanted to try an H&H V800 I looked for a big wattage power amp spec'd similar to the H&H with big capacitors and transformers to provide the low end punch. I ended up picking up a Peavey CS800X and I must say I think it punches way harder on the lows and feels bigger than my Matrix and it doesn't color the tone I still have to do an side by side A/B comparison but from memory the CS800X wins for me. The big plus is they are plentiful and cheap plus use 1/4" high Z inputs and 1/4" outputs for speaker cabinets.

+1 Great power amp for preamp based rigs(used one with different MP-1/Triaxis/3+SE rigs through the years and always sounded great, wish I had kept mine)

Used mine with Mesa Triaxis/Soldano X99/H&K Access/Marshall JMP-1 and tested with various others from friends and it always worked great. Compared with numerous others (Marshall/H&K/VHT/Peavey etc.) and it's the one I kept to this day. I recently paired it with an Alembic F-1X pre and was greeted by the most powerful and dynamic Fender clean I've ever heard ! Incredible pedal platform !

Used mine with Mesa Triaxis/Soldano X99/H&K Access/Marshall JMP-1 and tested with various others from friends and it always worked great. Compared with numerous others (Marshall/H&K/VHT/Peavey etc.) and it's the one I kept to this day. I recently paired it with an Alembic F-1X pre and was greeted by the most powerful and dynamic Fender clean I've ever heard ! Incredible pedal platform !
Very NICE! Man I do miss having it in the arsenal.....was a keeper and I fucked up and sold it lol, all to fund new shit through the years.....so much of my old gear I wish I would have kept.....but I'm super happy with my tone now and am out of the chase....only thing I chase nowadays is the click of the metronome lol. Cool rigs there man!

Back