A battle of the Larrys

Personality of builder aside, I feel like almost all of the really special amps out there have details that wouldn’t get picked up through a mic on YouTube- you just aren’t going to capture wizard punch through a sm57 or phone mic. The tone in the video already sounds great and I’m sure they sound even better in the room. Short of hermanssons that sound dramatically different from other amps, the special nuances of amps that make them (arguably) worth the boutique costs simply won’t really show through these videos, which is why comments comparing this to cheaper amps aren’t necessarily fair.

Show me where I accused Jeremy of copying my circuits!
Post a link to this post!
If you can't do that, you'll spontaneously crumble into dust, you pathetic liar and rumor spreader!
I never said that you did. What I implied was that it wouldn't surprise me if you did based on your charming internet persona.

When does this spontaneous dust crumbling start? I'd like to at least go outside so I don't leave a mess, you crusty old fuck.

Could you imagine the carnage if someone cloned Larry himself? That would truly be a battle for the ages.
Ah….Multiplicity. The next Larry up would be missing a proverbial tool in the ole shed… his amps would sound more Cameronesq perhaps.

He only makes two a year, so his customers have to wait a long time to get one. That’s it.
He is also very busy with philanthropic projects. Larry is trying to make the world a better place by ending world hunger. His latest initiative is easy access to natural fertilizer production via human waste composting. However, I fear this kindly, well meaning nobleman may be going about the project backwards...

Last edited:
sounds cool but not 7k and untold years and you might get your amp cool........ever

which is why comments comparing this to cheaper amps aren’t necessarily fair.
If this was directed at me, I wasn't making any grand claims how some cheaper amp would get you there.
I already put in a caveat in my earlier post, but since I'm not one to BS around, here's a clip of what I mean. In terms of where the 'sonic aura' sits, I'd say this is pretty much in the same vein, but of course, less open (since Engl's Savage saturation, while raw, is more compressed feeling than a Larry, judging on the better soundclips) and it seems to miss that part 'chewyness' that's necessary for that rhythm+lead tone covering.
FYI, I'm listening to all my stuff on good headphones (Beyer DT990 Pro's) and not cheap, small PC speakers.

Ever seen this video?

at the 4min. mark he switches to the 'SCREAM' channel. Tight AF with awesome grind.

If that's still a so-so tone to you, I dunno what to say, man. Diff'rent strokes... :dunno:

I listened to the OP's video; slightly prefer the 802. The 822 seemed opener, but less gainy/pushy.

Yeah, I remember that clip. Sounds good

Last edited:
If this was directed at me, I wasn't making any grand claims how some cheaper amp would get you there.
I already put in a caveat in my earlier post, but since I'm not one to BS around, here's a clip of what I mean. In terms of where the 'sonic aura' sits, I'd say this is pretty much in the same vein, but of course, less open (since Engl's Savage saturation, while raw, is more compressed feeling than a Larry, judging on the better soundclips) and it seems to miss that part 'chewyness' that's necessary for that rhythm+lead tone covering.
FYI, I'm listening to all my stuff on good headphones (Beyer DT990 Pro's) and not cheap, small PC speakers.

Oh not referring to anyone here- more people who comment this stuff about any amp

Side note I meant less of an issue on the listener’s end

As in mics (especially sm57) can’t capture the in the room nuance,or the punch of an amp well. And YouTube compression further destroys the quality of the recording.

As in mics (especially sm57) can’t capture the in the room nuance,or the punch of an amp well. And YouTube compression further destroys the quality of the recording.
Agreed;
plenty of mics I prefer to the SM57 in my home studio; the first 2 I'd grab for recording guitar tones would be my Beyer M88 and M201.

The clip of the previous post that I recorded was done with my phone and from experience with it, I know that once you hit a certain room volume, a limiter changes settings on the phone, that's why you're hearing the bass/fullness increase during that E powerchord at the start.

The bad: initially it sounds thin. But that's why I 'let the phone get acquainted with the room volume' :p with such an E chord.
The good: it can handle quite some volume before even clipping.

Ever seen this video?

at the 4min. mark he switches to the 'SCREAM' channel. Tight AF with awesome grind.

If that's still a so-so tone to you, I dunno what to say, man. Diff'rent strokes... :dunno:

I listened to the OP's video; slightly prefer the 802. The 822 seemed opener, but less gainy/pushy.

@SBlue owns this amp now

Back