Help with pickup choice for Ibanez S guitar

67mike

I picked up an ibanez s1520fb last week.

Awesome axe...except the quantum pickups are a muddy mess.

Have a Semour Duncan Trembucker and a Dimarzio Breed Neck on order.

Just wondering if anyone here can suggest a better set for this are before they ship me the above?

I was impressed by the AT1 and Satur8 bridge pickups in a few guitars I played at the store......

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the flood of info.......lol

received_821176009782790.jpeg

Haven't played that model so I can't really say. Not sure what Bubinga does but the S I had was all maple with mahogany body. Bright sounding. I threw in a tone zone and it was the perfect swap.

Got an '97 S540 myself and the original QM1/2 pickups were kinda muddy an bland too.
Had an Evo set in it: too bright.
PAF Pro in neck= too middy/nasal.
Super Distortion bridge= a bit much.

Settled on a Tonezone bridge, Fast track 1 middle and Air Norton neck. Volume pot switched to a push pull one to coil split them. Awesome tones. 👍
AT-1 might be better (less flubby probably) than the Tone Zone in the low mids.
But the Air Norton and FT-1 are absolute keepers.
Breed Neck might work too indeed.
I did place my Air Norton with the pole pieces towards the bridge for a little extra clarity.

Thanks for the help.

I think I am going to give the jb/breed a try.......dimarzio discontinued the breed....so glad I snagged one ( you can still get em at the custom shop...but when I hear "custom shop" I look to get screwed on pricing.)

If they don't do it....I will order up some of your suggestions.
Much thanks.

Thanks for the help.

I think I am going to give the jb/breed a try.......dimarzio discontinued the breed....so glad I snagged one ( you can still get em at the custom shop...but when I hear "custom shop" I look to get screwed on pricing.)

If they don't do it....I will order up some of your suggestions.
Much thanks.
If you find the JB is too flubby in the lows, but you love the harmonics and kerrang of it, the Dimarzio answer would be: Norton.
If you find the JB is flubby, but the Norton might be too tight/lean in the low end, Duncan's answer=SH-14 Custom 5. Only downside would be less 'harmonic mids' in this one, but it's bigger AND tighter sounding than the JB with a great split tone.

If you find the JB is too flubby in the lows, but you love the harmonics and kerrang of it, the Dimarzio answer would be: Norton.
If you find the JB is flubby, but the Norton might be too tight/lean in the low end, Duncan's answer=SH-14 Custom 5. Only downside would be less 'harmonic mids' in this one, but it's bigger AND tighter sounding than the JB with a great split tone.
Is the jb known to be flubby?

Very guitar dependant, but yes, the low end *can* be on the loose side.
Also, in humbucking mode, the JB will be actually darker when playing clean stuff than a Super Distortion.
But when coil split, the JB sounds better (a bit louder and wider) than the Super D.
Norton, AT-1 and Custom 5 all split really nice.

My first S had the V7/V8 :bleh:, and they sucked for anything but single notes. New one I bought recently came with Tone Zone and Air Norton, and they are pretty damn good, great clarity but not as much power as the Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker. May also try the Dimarzio Pandemonium, they are made for similar thin mahogany/maple top guitars.

I think this jb trembucker ( which I ordered) sounds pretty great in this video....but perhaps I am nuts?

It does sound good sure, but he's playing mostly shreddy lead style. That's where the JB usually shines and a little extra thickness helps the single notes sound bigger...but when you're palm-muting/chugging on the low E string, that's when the loose low-end might show. But as I said, it's really guitar dependant; in some guitars it's absolute magic...in others the looseness and screechy high-mids/highs becomes annoying.
I'm not taking it out of my Kramer SM-1, because the whole idea of that guitar was 80's shred stuff. ;-)

Attachments

• SM-1 with 5051.jpg
    SM-1 with 5051.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 8
It does sound good sure, but he's playing mostly shreddy lead style. That's where the JB usually shines and a little extra thickness helps the single notes sound bigger...but when you're palm-muting/chugging on the low E string, that's when the loose low-end might show. But as I said, it's really guitar dependant; in some guitars it's absolute magic...in others the looseness and screechy high-mids/highs becomes annoying.
I'm not taking it out of my Kramer SM-1, because the whole idea of that guitar was 80's shred stuff. ;-)
I don't play the doom stuff, just as long as I can rip some Sabbath on it...that works for ne.

I don't play the doom stuff, just as long as I can rip some Sabbath on it...that works for ne.
oh sure, in that case you should be fine.
I typically play more thrash/power metal, classic heavy metal, so I need a good level of tightness in response, both from the guitar and the amp. You won't see me play Orange amps any time soon for instance. :sneaky:

DiMarzios. FRED in the bridge, Bluesbucker in the neck with the screw coil facing toward the neck. Get a push/push 500K pot and replace your tone control with it. Then wire the Bluesbucker to the switch on that pot. Wire it for series/parallel or series/split. The output of that switch on the push/push goes to the pickup selector switch. Split gives a great Strat tone!

Last edited:
Back