Black Album

If your back hurts bad enough none of these musical controversies matter. Even when my back doesn't hurt, none of them matter. Even the ones I care about.

It's a very good hard rock album, but I'm a metal guy mostly so I never cared for it.

Sometimes it’s hard for me to listen to it and just enjoy it for what it is without thinking about all the noise around it, which is funny because I didn’t even experience the album when it was released, but probably 5-6 years after.

While there’s only so much I can put myself in another’s shoes, I can imagine how fucking jarring it was going from those first few albums to cracking open TBA for the first time, waiting to see how they topped AJFA and then “Enter Fucking Sandman” is the first thing they hear. :LOL:

Sometimes it’s hard for me to listen to it and just enjoy it for what it is without thinking about all the noise around it, which is funny because I didn’t even experience the album when it was released, but probably 5-6 years after.

While there’s only so much I can put myself in another’s shoes, I can imagine how fucking jarring it was going from those first few albums to cracking open TBA for the first time, waiting to see how they topped AJFA and then “Enter Fucking Sandman” is the first thing they hear. :LOL:
It was a shocker ....... I remember going ..... WTF ... there's some cool riffs in there but ...... WTF

I think it's a good album. The disappointment for me is looking at it in the context of their previous work. Also, it seemed to become a benchmark for metal becoming more mainstream, but I think it achieved that partially because it was relatively neutered, which kind of diluted its value as a benchmark. It's good for bands to grow and to change and to explore, but this wasn't so much a one-off as a change in their overall trajectory. Between Metallica and Megadeth, I think Megadeth have had the more interesting music since then. I think Metallica became encumbered by success rather than liberated by it.

Last edited:
I had never heard Metallica. The Black Album blew my mind. I was 14-15 listening to George Michael and Milli fucking Vanilli. To me it was SOOO heavy. I did immediately search out the rest of their catalog. That was like a scavenger hunt in small town Texas in the nineties lol. Finally got em all. Then it was Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer, etc.

Complicated issue: absolutely amazing production...Strong songwriting with great performances (even from Kirk and Lars)......But not the album that many of us expected or wanted. If you listen to the record (AJFA) that preceded it...Doesn't even sound like the same band in many aspects. That said, strategically it was the right move to put them on the path to becoming the biggest band on the planet.

I think it's a good album. The disappointment for me is looking at it in the context of their previous work. Also, it seemed to become a benchmark for metal becoming more mainstream, but I think it achieved that partially because it was relatively neutered, which kind of diluted its value as a benchmark. It's good for bands to grow and to change and to explore, but this wasn't so much a one-off as a change in their overall trajectory. Between Metallica and Megadeth, I think Megadeth have had the more interesting music since then. I think Metallica became encumbered by success rather than liberated by it.
This 311%

I thought it was a good album outside of the context of the first 3 and AJFA. But at this point Re/Load was right around the corner and then poof. That's it. Not much more to talk about after that. Amazing how one of our favorite Thrash bands became almost Pop seemingly overnight. I like TBA and Re/Load and Garage Days. I own Death Magnetic, which is decent, but never listen to it.

I thought it was good, drummers kept blowing up but good album
4_2-ncc-spinaltap-black_album.png

Back