Black Album

I remember seeing the MTV premiere of Enter Sandman like it was yesterday…
My jaw hit the floor…Time stood still for a minute…Overwhelming feelings of confusion, betrayal, disgust…
Flipped my TV the bird, went and listened to Malevolent Creation’s “The Ten Commandments” and all was right in the world again…

The black album keeps my personal timeline in order. It came out when I started med school. The day my personal music died. I didn’t re-emerge for 12 years like the geico rock man. I was like the pimp who got out of jail from “I’m gonna get you sucka”.

Why do we have to talk so much about the first Metallica album that took a turn for the worse? If anything, I hope they didn’t use a great amp like a c+ on it. I didn’t even consider the sound much when I first heard it when I was younger

I can sleep at night as long as it was used on MOP and AJFA

Was in a cover group where the executive decision was made to play "Sad But True" instead of "For Whom the Bell Tolls". :bash:
I'd say the songwriting went downhill with the black album, interesting to see others say the opposite.

Was in a cover group where the executive decision was made to play "Sad But True" instead of "For Whom the Bell Tolls". :bash:
I'd say the songwriting went downhill with the black album, interesting to see others say the opposite.
both great songs and two of my favorites, but the production is definitely better on sad but true!

my girlfriend likes For whom the bell tolls, but sad but true is to aggressive for her so i never listen to it when she is around.
You're all a bunch of pussies too, i guess:D

Last edited:
I was 10 years old when the Black album came out. I had zero expectations or bias as it was the first Metallica I'd ever heard, so I listened with the open mind of a 10 year old kid that I'll never have again. It was the heaviest thing I'd listened to up until then and suffice to say it blew my fucking mind. I listened to it so much that I'm pretty sure that my mom, now in her 60's, still knows every goddamn word to the Black album by heart. I still love listening to it and all of their older material. Hell I even use it as one of my references when mixing and mastering. It was THE turning point album of my life and it forever turned me towards heavier and heavier music.

both great songs and two of my favorites, but the production is definitely better on sad but true!

my girlfriend likes For whom the bell tolls, but sad but true is to aggressive for her so i never listen to it when she is around.
You're all a bunch of pussies too, i guess:D
Sad but true is good, but I think they’re most aggressive songs and sounds were on AJFA like Dyers Eve, Blackened or Shortest Straw. One of my favorite songs by them actually is Hit The Lights even though I don’t like the rest of that album much

Back