Splawn cleans..... Brighter?

Saar

Has anyone put caps in the circuit of the clean channel to brighten it up? I have a early, three preamp tube Quick Rod. I would LOVE if someone could tell me which, if any, capacitors or such can help. Thanks

You tried just contacting Scott directly? He’s usually very helpful and may be able to help directly.

I put a 12AT7 in V1 in my Nitro (gain stage for Clean Channel) and I've been very happy with it. To my ears, it definitely gave it a cleaner and brighter overall tone.

I put a 12AT7 in V1 in my Nitro (gain stage for Clean Channel) and I've been very happy with it. To my ears, it definitely gave it a cleaner and brighter overall tone.
Thanks! Doesn't that affect the gain for the overdrive channel as well? I know the gain is used for both clean, and overdrive in the Quick Rod.

Thanks! Doesn't that affect the gain for the overdrive channel as well? I know the gain is used for both clean, and overdrive in the Quick Rod.
If it does then to my ears it's not enough of a reduction to make the amp less gainy.

V1 on the Nitro is all 2nd stage gain clean channel, which according to the QuickRod manual from Splawn it has the same preamp tube layout:

1. Pre-amp tube - 12AX7b 2nd gain stage of the clean channel
2. Pre-amp tube - 12AX7b Side A 1st gain stage for clean and OD channels -- Side B 2nd gain stage of OD channel
3. Pre-amp tube - 12AX7b Side A 3rd gain stage of OD channel -- Side B 4th gain stage of OD channel
4. Pre-amp tube - 12AX7b Phase inverter

For my preamp tubes, I have Jan Philips WC12AT7 in sockets 1 and 4 (PI). Sockets 2 and 3 have a Tungsol 12ax7.

Cheers

Thanks again. I have a 2005 Quick Rod. It has only three preamp tubes. I believe it's the first version with "gears"

T
Thanks again. I have a 2005 Quick Rod. It has only three preamp tubes. I believe it's the first version with "gears"
That's interesting. Is it 3 tubes + 1 phase inverter ? Or 2 preamp and 1 phase inverter?

Has anyone put caps in the circuit of the clean channel to brighten it up? I have a early, three preamp tube Quick Rod. I would LOVE if someone could tell me which, if any, capacitors or such can help. Thanks
Possibly an EQ in the loop . I recently started using a Boss GE7 in the loop of my EL34 Super Sport to tone shape and it’s working really good

Last edited:
I can confirm, putting a 12AT7 in V1 or V2 of a 3-pre Splawn knocks quite a bit of gain off of the drive channel too, and personally I felt the cleans still never got very jangly. (I have a 2006 QR too)

The best cleans I'm able to get out of mine are by turning the gain control on the drive channel completely off, which lets me use the treble and presence controls to their full extent to brighten it up and keep it clean sounding. The problem is this isn't very practical "live."

Good luck on this one

Back