Help with cab and ohms question

romanianreaper

If anyone can help with this, you goons here on the forum can. I'll try to break this down as simple as possible.
- I have an Orange Super Crush 100
- 100 watts at 8 ohms, 70 watts at 16 ohms

I want to get the Orange vertical cab, which is 16 watts but has two speakers. Does it matter if I have a 1x12, 2x12, or 4x12, at 16 ohms will I only get 70 watts of power from the amp?

Another question. On the back panel, there is a 1x16 ohm, 2x16 ohm or 1x8 ohm option. If I use two 16 ohm cabs, will that become 8 ohms and ensure 100 watts of power?

I don't want to be hauling some huge cab to gigs and is why I'm trying to find lighter solutions, etc. Thanks!

Last edited:
Number of speakers do not change the total wattage, but it does change the wattage load per speaker. So, in a 4*12 you will multiply wattage rating of each speaker x 4 if you use in mono. So that means with say a v30, you would have 60 watts per speaker, so 240 total watts capacity for the cabinet. You wouldnt want to exceed that wattage with the amp.

Just need to make sure a 1x12 can handle the power load or dont turn up the amp. A 1x12 v30 would be 60 watt total. So with the 70 watt from amp, as long as you dont crank the amp, you would more than likely be fine.

The 8 ohm tap going into a 16 ohm cab still will be 100 watts

Even if you get a 16 ohm speaker, you can use the 8 ohm tap if you had a higher rated speaker such as evm12l which is rated to 200 watts

If you use a 16 ohm tap on amp, will only be 70 watt

As far as two 16 ohm cabs, i would assume that would still be in the 8 ohm 100 watt range just like if using a selector

Last edited:
As far as two 16 ohm cabs, i would assume that would still be in the 8 ohm 100 watt range just like if using a seselector
What about two 16 ohm 1x12 cabs out of the amp? Does that combination become 8 ohms total and mean the amp uses 100 watts instead of 70 watts?

I didn't know if two 16 ohm cabs plugged, each with its own jack, is 8 ohms or just two cabs in stereo still at 16 ohms and only getting 70 watts of power? I want to have the full 100 watts for gigs.

What about two 16 ohm 1x12 cabs out of the amp? Does that combination become 8 ohms total and mean the amp uses 100 watts instead of 70 watts?

I didn't know if two 16 ohm cabs plugged, each with its own jack, is 8 ohms or just two cabs in stereo still at 16 ohms and only getting 70 watts of power? I want to have the full 100 watts for gigs.
I believe that would be 100. On an amp with selector, it would, so i dont see why not here.

However, i would.just.make sure the 1x12 could safely handle that load.

I believe that would be 100. On an amp with selector, it would, so i dont see why not here.

However, i would.just.make sure the 1x12 could safely handle that load.
I sent Orange an email so hopefully they get back with me soon. I don't know ow why they don't have that in the manual.

I am guessing it is solid state. That is often how they are wattage rated..off of the ohms you select

Yeah but he said the amp is 100w @ 8 ohms, while also being 70w @ 8 ohms. There’s a typo in there somewhere.

Also, the amp is solid state, so its available wattage does change with speaker load. If I had to guess, I’d say he meant to say the real figure is something like 100w @ 8 ohms, and 70w @ 16 ohms.

Yeah but he said the amp is 100w @ 8 ohms, while also being 70w @ 8 ohms. There’s a typo in there somewhere.

Also, the amp is solid state, so its available wattage does change with speaker load. If I had to guess, I’d say he meant to say the real figure is something like 100w @ 8 ohms, and 70w @ 16 ohms.
That was my assumption as well. That is how ss is generally setup

Yep exactly 💯

If anyone can help with this, you goons here on the forum can. I'll try to break this down as simple as possible.
- I have an Orange Super Crush 100
- 100 watts at 8 ohms, 70 watts at 16 ohms

I want to get the Orange vertical cab, which is 16 watts but has two speakers. Does it matter if I have a 1x12, 2x12, or 4x12, at 16 ohms will I only get 70 watts of power from the amp?

Another question. On the back panel, there is a 1x16 ohm, 2x16 ohm or 1x8 ohm option. If I use two 16 ohm cabs, will that become 8 ohms and ensure 100 watts of power?

I don't want to be hauling some huge cab to gigs and is why I'm trying to find lighter solutions, etc. Thanks!
As has been mentioned before, the number of speakers that combine to give a certain impedance won't change the amount of power you get. 16 ohms will give you 70W regardless of whether it's a 16 ohm 1x12, a 16 ohm 2x12, a 16 ohm wall of sound, etc...

To your second question, the speaker outputs are labeled as being wired in parallel per the pictures I found on Orange's website:
1713739599210.png

Which means that if you hook up two 16 ohm cabs to the outputs then the amp will see 8 ohms net and you'll get the full 100W that way.

The 8 ohm tap going into a 16 ohm cab still will be 100 watts

Even if you get a 16 ohm speaker, you can use the 8 ohm tap if you had a higher rated speaker such as evm12l which is rated to 200 watts

If you use a 16 ohm tap on amp, will only be 70 watt
My understanding of things so far is that this isn't quite right. The power for a given tap is not a fixed number but depends on the load you hook up to it, like with a solid state amp. Hooking up a 16 ohm cab to a 8 ohm tap will likely reduce the available output power if I understand correctly. By exactly how much, I'm not certain.

My understanding of things so far is that this isn't quite right. The power for a given tap is not a fixed number but depends on the load you hook up to it, like with a solid state amp. Hooking up a 16 ohm cab to a 8 ohm tap will likely reduce the available output power if I understand correctly. By exactly how much, I'm not certain.
Even on a tube amp?

Even on a tube amp?
No.

Solidstate is different. Tube amps use a transformer to keep the primary impedance set to what the tubes prefer for a given efficiency of max power transfer. To be more specific transformers actually reflect impedance differences through what is called flux linkage (meaning a shit match on the secondary causes a shit match on the primary which induces eddy currents) but I’m not going to go into insane detail as to why. Just know for tube amps if you use them correctly you’ll always have the maximum power output rated regardless of correct load setting for the OT.

Solidstate loses efficiency for higher ohm settings because there’s a finite amount of current available to power the load and the BJTs only have so much current gain available.

No.

Solidstate is different. Tube amps use a transformer to keep the primary impedance set to what the tubes prefer for a given efficiency of max power transfer. To be more specific transformers actually reflect impedance differences through what is called flux linkage (meaning a shit match on the secondary causes a shit match on the primary which induces eddy currents) but I’m not going to go into insane detail as to why. Just know for tube amps if you use them correctly you’ll always have the maximum power output rated regardless of correct load setting for the OT.

Solidstate loses efficiency for higher ohm settings because there’s a finite amount of current available to power the load and the BJTs only have so much current gain available.
I dont know what the fuck you just said. But you touched a brother's heart.

I believe it is in the middle somewhere, say 13.6 ohms for example. Somewhere. Not exactly, like 12.

No.

I believe this to be correct as well. I've owned both types and studied them but honestly have never heard of flux linkage but yeah on shit matching description.

Just know for tube amps if you use them correctly you’ll always have the maximum power output rated regardless of correct load setting for the OT.
To clarify, you're saying that if I hook up a 16 ohm cab to a 100W amplifer using the amp's 8 ohm transformer tap then the amp will still output 100W into the mismatched load? Even though the reflected impedance to the tubes is now twice what was designed for and the plate (and peak signal swing?) voltage hasn't changed? Or does "correct load setting" imply that you were only talking about matched loads? Because the situation I was addressing (and what I think the question was about) was unmatched loads.

I believe it is in the middle somewhere, say 13.6 ohms for example. Somewhere. Not exactly, like 12.
I don't follow what you mean... Are you talking about paralleling a 16 ohm and an 8 ohm cab or something like that and the resulting impedance? I was talking about power delivered to the cab.

To clarify, you're saying that if I hook up a 16 ohm cab to a 100W amplifer using the amp's 8 ohm transformer tap then the amp will still output 100W into the mismatched load? Even though the reflected impedance to the tubes is now twice what was designed for and the plate (and peak signal swing?) voltage hasn't changed? Or does "correct load setting" imply that you were only talking about matched loads? Because the situation I was addressing (and what I think the question was about) was unmatched loads.
Correct load setting is self explanatory.

I know you’re somewhat new around here. I’m not explaining the ins and outs of mismatched loads again. Search the forum with my username if you want to know what happens under more complex scenarios with mismatched impedances. I’ve covered the topic in depth.

Back