Letting go of my 5150III Stealth100w Head... Want to try something new and different. Options?

PhloridaMan

So, I've made the decision to sell my EVH 5150III Stealth 100w head. I love the amp, but I have a 6505+ which honestly, I like better and also have my Roadster Recto which I love tremendously as well. I could survive with the 6505+ and Roadster forever, but I always am looking for that new sound that my ear likes. I find it inspirational.

Figuring I'll get somewhere just under 2k for the head, I am looking for replacements in the 1800-2200 range (used price), though I am open to consideration of closer to 3000 should it be something that REALLY peaks my interest.

Amps I have owned in the past (and current) are below:
Peavey 5150 Blockletter Stock
Peavey 5150II with choke and Mercury Tansformers
Peavey 6505 Stock
Peavey 6505+ Stock
Peavey 6505+ Voodoo Standard Mod
Peavey 6505+ with Choke (Current)
EVH 5150 III 100w
EVH 5150 III EL34 100w
EVH 5150 III Stealth 100w (Current)
Framus Cobra
Engl Invader 150
Splawn Nitro KT88
VHT Pitbull Ultra Lead
Marshall JVM410 and 205
Marshall JCM800 2210
Mesa Boogie 50 Cal
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster (Current)
Line 6 Spider 212 (Current)
Carvin V3 with 6L6s (Current)
Kemper
Line6 Helix
Fractal Axe FX Ultra (Current)

I obviously like High Gain. I play a lot of Drop A# 7 String stuff so I like something with a lot of distortion and saturation typically but also like extremely articulate and clear amps too. I want something that sounds different than my current 6505 and Recto, but that will still do the 7 string chugs well.

Whatever amp I get, will be sitting on a Standard Recto 4x12 with V30s though I may drop a pair of Creambacks I have in my closet in soon also in an X but that's TBD based on how whatever amp I get, sounds on the cab.

I do have a couple amps currently on my list... (below) but am open to other ideas. I'm really not as tuned into the amp market as I use to be.
- Revv Generator 100R
- Fryette Deliverance 120 II+
- Diezel Herbert MKIII

The only amps I know that I just do not enjoy are amps like the Engl Invader, Splawn or anything Orange.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Last edited:
I am all in on buying new guitar stuff but, why not try some different speakers or pickups for that particular amp?

There are so many combinations and you would probably lose less money.
It's sat on 3 different cabs with 4 different guitars already. I've got a Greenback loaded 4x12 Marshall, Creamback loaded 2x12 and a v30/K100 loaded 2x12 along with this Recto cab.

To my ears, the 6505+ just sounds better so I don't need two amps directly in the 5150/6505 realm in my eyes.

Reactions: Geo
The MT 100 is a great sounding modern type tone, IMO. Under 2k new, 3 channels(Lead and clean are fantastic, OD is a bit mid heavy but works in a live setting as a lead specific channel) and needs no boost to tighten. Like a boosted Triple Rec with the lows of an Uber.

You have/had a JVM; nothing wrong with those but I'd step up to a good vintage JMP 2203/4 or 70s NMV....straight in or boosted. It's a staple for a reason.

So much cool stuff out there now. Maybe just go a different direction and try a digital rig? Helix or axefx…or quad cortex thingy…personally I’d like to check out the synergy stuff.
I think he said he has an AxeFX already.

Do you ever enjoy playing with a more classic rock and clean Tone? You could get something like a 100 watt Hiwatt clone and then hit it with pedals for the Brootz. This would give you an awesome amp for when you just want to get your 6 string ya ya’s on.

Or basically any hundred watt, high headroom, cleaner amp that would be a great pedal platform. That way if you got tired of the sound, you might just be changing a pedal, not the amp.

As someone who also likes 7-8 strings, I’ve found the tighter hot-rodded Marshall types do the articulate low tuned things really well. Like the Fortin, Hermansson, Ground Zero amps. I was also a big 5150 circuit guy.

My suggestion
Ground Zero Hellion
(would also highly suggest Hermansson modded Marshalls but I don’t think he’s making them anymore)

The Ground Zero you plenty of tailoring options from preamp to power amp and gets super tight and articulate if you want it set that way.

Last edited:
I play 7 strings tuned to A as well. I would look at a Mark VII. I was going to suggest a KSR Colossus but that's over your budget. You might be able to get a used one though for your budget. Both amps can handle 7 and 8 strings well and don't need an OD.

It's sat on 3 different cabs with 4 different guitars already. I've got a Greenback loaded 4x12 Marshall, Creamback loaded 2x12 and a v30/K100 loaded 2x12 along with this Recto cab.

To my ears, the 6505+ just sounds better so I don't need two amps directly in the 5150/6505 realm in my eyes.
Hmm, no particular amp suggestions but since you have the 5150 and Recto flavors covered...I'd go something Marshall, Fryette or Diezel. Each different and different enough from what you are currently playing. Looks like you are on the right track with your list at the bottom.

As a previous diehard player of the OG 5150 years ago, current owner of a Stealth I'm leaning your way as well. There's something in the mids missing and the OG is just a little more chewy than the Stealth. It's very had to pin down but for me, it's there.

So, I've made the decision to sell my EVH 5150III Stealth 100w head. I love the amp, but I have a 6505+ which honestly, I like better and also have my Roadster Recto which I love tremendously as well. I could survive with the 6505+ and Roadster forever, but I always am looking for that new sound that my ear likes. I find it inspirational.

Figuring I'll get somewhere just under 2k for the head, I am looking for replacements in the 1800-2200 range (used price), though I am open to consideration of closer to 3000 should it be something that REALLY peaks my interest.

Amps I have owned in the past (and current) are below:
Peavey 5150 Blockletter Stock
Peavey 5150II with choke and Mercury Tansformers
Peavey 6505 Stock
Peavey 6505+ Stock
Peavey 6505+ Voodoo Standard Mod
Peavey 6505+ with Choke (Current)
EVH 5150 III 100w
EVH 5150 III EL34 100w
EVH 5150 III Stealth 100w (Current)
Framus Cobra
Engl Invader 150
Splawn Nitro KT88
VHT Pitbull Ultra Lead
Marshall JVM410 and 205
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster (Current)
Line 6 Spider 212 (Current)
Carvin V3 with 6L6s (Current)
Fractal Axe FX Ultra (Current)

I obviously like High Gain. I play a lot of Drop A# 7 String stuff so I like something with a lot of distortion and saturation typically but also like extremely articulate and clear amps too. I want something that sounds different than my current 6505 and Recto, but that will still do the 7 string chugs well.

Whatever amp I get, will be sitting on a Standard Recto 4x12 with V30s though I may drop a pair of Creambacks I have in my closet in soon also in an X but that's TBD based on how whatever amp I get, sounds on the cab.

I do have a couple amps currently on my list... (below) but am open to other ideas. I'm really not as tuned into the amp market as I use to be.
- Revv Generator 100R
- Fryette Deliverance 120 II+
- Diezel Herbert MKIII

The only amps I know that I just do not enjoy are amps like the Engl Invader, Splawn or anything Orange.

Appreciate any suggestions!
I also sold my EVH 5150 III because I felt it was redundant due to sounding too much like my 5150. I also have a Roadster. Its the best Rectifier I ever played.

So anyway, my suggestions to you are the other amps I own.

Peavey Ultra Plus
Bogner Uberschall
Rivera Knucklehead II or K-Tre

By the way, what do you think of the V3? Worth a look if I get one cheap?

Back