12ax7 identification

japetus

Pulled these out of an old Japanese amp my buddy bought eons ago and stored away. They read "Gregory" and 12ax7 605 Japan. Any ideas?
C16559E0-1466-4C25-9DA1-C0DAC3563E2C.jpeg
CB1E6EF4-9F80-4EE2-A399-BC7B6A697DE7.jpeg

It resembles a Tungsram but hard to tell from your pic (and the Tungsram pics I googled). I'm not at home to check my Tungsrams.

It looks so close but all the Tungsram pics where I can see the slots on each edge have 2 slots and yours has only 1.

Also, the getter might make a difference so if you could post a pic looking upward into the upper part that is hidden by getter flash, it might help.

It looks so close but all the Tungsram pics where I can see the slots on each edge have 2 slots and yours has only 1.

Also, the getter might make a difference so if you could post a pic looking upward into the upper part that is hidden by getter flash, it might help.
BCB58CD1-DAE3-4AC5-BE0C-6A53496329BA.jpeg

Whatever it is, put it in my SLX..sounded like shit. Put it in my Bassman, sounds saweeeeet. Edit: I put them back in and it sounds fucking awesome. They sound hi fi.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of old Mullards, Tungsram, GE, Raytheon, etc, etc....and I still find it hard to ID them by appearance.

Thinking some more, I have a feeling this is just a rebranded euro tube. I thought it was possibly a Matsushida, but the getter is different. I was thinking it's a Mazda based on the plates, but without having it in my hand, I really cant tell. I'm super curious though.

I send some pics to some other "tube dudes" and they say they have no idea. They sound great, Ill just keep them and use them.

Back