1979 Marshall 2203. Fair asking price?

I think the prices are runaway at this point..I see people listing these locally at 2K+. At that point, just get a clone.

To me, prices for an 800 vertical input in good condition is probably fair at around 1000-1200.

JMP - 1200-1500.

I bought my 800 for 800$ 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Marshall isn't even making reissues of those 75-81 JMPs. If they did, I can see the originals not commanding so much. But the originals are really the only real Marshall version of those amps you can still get. Plenty of clones will get the tone, but not retain their value over the long term.

Marshall isn't even making reissues of those 75-81 JMPs. If they did, I can see the originals not commanding so much. But the originals are really the only real Marshall version of those amps you can still get. Plenty of clones will get the tone, but not retain their value over the long term.
True. But really it comes down to what you want the amp for. I think the clone I built is better than my 82 800. So yes, you have to decide what is important to you and you have to really like the sound, not just the idea of it.

You can build a very good clone for way less than the market price of the real thing. Grab a head cab from Sour Mash, a hand-wired board from Ceriatone or DIY one from Valvestorm, get the iron from plenty of sources and you will have a KILLER amp. But you'd be lucky to get your money back out of it if you ever decided to sell. In selling you'd need very detailed photos and description and would need to have done a very clean build. My '69 100w clone build has the tone of the gods. But it was my first build and doesn't look too pro under the hood. So, well, it's a keeper.

I think we are in a weird time where prices went up due to COVID and there was a bit of a bubble. Some people think that bubble is still there or even growing while others think it is quickly shrinking back to normal. So there's a wide gap in prices. More people listing for absurd prices and there is sometimes a fool to pay it but usually it just sits.

I don't need that amp but if it were local and listed for much less than $1600, even I would consider it. So no less than $1600, probably a little more. That is what I would call a "fair" asking price, i.e. a price you'd offer a friend or people on a forum you like.

As soon as the used inventory increases, prices should come down. GC.com usually has 8-900 used Marshall products (pre Covid) and out of those 10 or more JCM/JMPs. Now, there are only 150 or so total with no single channel 800s; 1 modded JMP that is listed at 2K.
Supply and demand.

What is interesting that if you read some forums you would think big tube amps are dead and no one wants them, but the used prices don’t 100% reflect that. Still shocked at the used Fender Princeton reverb prices though

I picked up a very clean all original 1983 JCM800 a few months back for $1200 on Craigslist. I jumped on it quick. But everything else I’ve seen is higher.

There’s maybe one JCM800 and one JMP on the LA Craigslist. It’s literally all little combos and solid state heads when you search for Marshall these days.

Back