300k vs 500k pot....anyone try this?

TheMagicEight

I run my volume and tone controls on 10 almost always. With my R9 Les Paul, I find the bridge to be a bit bright sometimes and am thinking of converting to a 300k pot. Here's the question: has anyone tried using a 500k push-pull pot that puts a resistor in parallel with the pot, essentially converting it to 300k when closed? Moreover, does this sound like a good idea?

I'd try hooking a couple leads up with alligator clips to the pot and try a few different resistors out and see if you like the tonal change. Easy to do while playing a LP or a Tele, a Strat, not so much. Alot easier than wiring push/pulls, etc. only to find you don't like what you did (been there, done that).

I did this when I was checking out values for my volume kit on my LP Special. I hooked the leads up to a load box, cranked the amp to stage level and pulled in and out resistors and caps until I found a nice rolloff and taper that I like. Marked down the values, got the parts, then wired them in. A load box is nice.
I have 300K pots on my LP Special and they work well. Of course these are P-90's so it's a total different beast from yours.

boost":17p93gzo said:
I'd try hooking a couple leads up with alligator clips to the pot and try a few different resistors out and see if you like the tonal change. Easy to do while playing a LP or a Tele, a Strat, not so much. Alot easier than wiring push/pulls, etc. only to find you don't like what you did (been there, done that).

I did this when I was checking out values for my volume kit on my LP Special. I hooked the leads up to a load box, cranked the amp to stage level and pulled in and out resistors and caps until I found a nice rolloff and taper that I like. Marked down the values, got the parts, then wired them in. A load box is nice.
I have 300K pots on my LP Special and they work well. Of course these are P-90's so it's a total different beast from yours.
Great idea! Since posting, I went for it and wired up the push-pull. I previously had a 500k in the bridge, and wanted to use a 500k push-pull but only had a cheap one available at ~440k. What a difference!!! I wired it to go between the 440k and ~280k, and I'm sold on doing this with all my guitars. I'll end up using your method I'm sure, but to be able to have the high end and string noise in check is such a breakthrough for me!

Think I'm going to leave the push-pull in this one though. The 440k is perfect for a huge, fat tone, but I could definitely see using the 280k for a darker metal tone.

TheMagicEight":p98tv9jy said:
boost":p98tv9jy said:

Great idea! Since posting, I went for it and wired up the push-pull. I previously had a 500k in the bridge, and wanted to use a 500k push-pull but only had a cheap one available at ~440k. What a difference!!! I wired it to go between the 440k and ~280k, and I'm sold on doing this with all my guitars. I'll end up using your method I'm sure, but to be able to have the high end and string noise in check is such a breakthrough for me!

Think I'm going to leave the push-pull in this one though. The 440k is perfect for a huge, fat tone, but I could definitely see using the 280k for a darker metal tone.

Cool! That's what's nice about a resistor and capacitor box. You can dial in exactly what sounds good to you with your guitar and through your amp at whatever volume you need. Dial it it, take down the values, and then just wire it in once. You're not confined to what to 'standard' for tone caps, volume kits, and pots some people believe you should use.

If you told most people a 280K pot works well with a humbucker they would probably say 'no way, it would be too dull'. But hey, it works for you. Sometimes very slight changes in a value can make a world of difference. Look what they do in amps! Same concept applies.

I've done it yes. It's neat, but in the end I always go back to stock pot only. It's still neat to try though, seems to have an affect on tone that's greater than just changing the value on the pot. For some reason the pickup feels more 'alive' as well, can't really describe it, it's more liquidy. Try different resistor values.

For a 500k pot:
1M - 333k
2M - 400k
4.5M - 450k

boost":3htfwylj said:
TheMagicEight":3htfwylj said:
boost":3htfwylj said:

Cool! That's what's nice about a resistor and capacitor box. You can dial in exactly what sounds good to you with your guitar and through your amp at whatever volume you need. Dial it it, take down the values, and then just wire it in once. You're not confined to what to 'standard' for tone caps, volume kits, and pots some people believe you should use.

If you told most people a 280K pot works well with a humbucker they would probably say 'no way, it would be too dull'. But hey, it works for you. Sometimes very slight changes in a value can make a world of difference. Look what they do in amps! Same concept applies.

Nevermind :LOL: :LOL:

I got mine along time ago. From Mouser I believe. I'm sure they should still sell them. You could make one, but it'd probably be a pain in the ass. I geuss if you just make it with certain 'proven' values you could narrow it down. Maybe something similar to a varitone. Mine has about 30 values each with a slider switch for each one to pull them in and out. They can be combined also to create other values.

I never have, but you probably could use these also on amps also to dial them in.

Thanks man, the "nevermind" was because I realized I was an idiot...not lack of response :D

Hey Boost

Sorry to hijack the thread but do you have a link for the load box you mentioned?

This sounds like something that I'd like to pick up (and if you have a pic, I'd appreciate
it).

Thanks man

Joe

boost":36mxw841 said:
If you told most people a 280K pot works well with a humbucker they would probably say 'no way, it would be too dull'.
What's interesting to me is that 300k has been stock for Les Pauls for a while. It sounds good - it's still a Les Paul - but 440k is what I'm liking the most right now.

Hail Satin":3fx2lolr said:
Hey Boost

Sorry to hijack the thread but do you have a link for the load box you mentioned?

This sounds like something that I'd like to pick up (and if you have a pic, I'd appreciate
it).

Thanks man

Joe

I'm at work, so I don't have pictures of them. I can say they were made by two seperate manufacturers. Check Mouser Electronics or any other dealer of eletronics and supplies. I know there is limited info on the boxes I have as far as manufacturers, addresses, etc. but I will take a look at them over the weekend and post some info for anyone interested in something like this.

Hell, if you can't get them anymore someone on these forums should make and sell these. I'm sure there would be alot of takers after people realize how useful these things can be.

Back