4 amps - same riff - guess the amp!

wow, i thought number two was the VHT for sure because of how bright it was, but I was wrong. They all had a very similar gain structure to them with varying brightness.

I thought number 3 sounded best too.

I know my opinion means nothing here because I didn't post a guess before the results were posted, but I'd just like to say that the JP2C continues to prove itself to be the most mid-focused Mesa Mark amp ever. It really does sound different from every other Mark, huh.

Also I'm kind of shocked at how close the Deliverance got to the Mark II's.

@ultimatemetalguitartones Does the Deliverance feel like a Mark when you play it? Do you find that the Deliverance's sound in this clip was on the thinner, more trebly side of what it can do or the thicker, bassier side? Or was the amp dialed to noon on everything and this is right in the middle of its "spectrum" of available sounds?

Last edited:
I know my opinion means nothing here because I didn't post a guess before the results were posted, but I'd just like to say that the JP2C continues to prove itself to be the most mid-focused Mesa Mark amp ever. It really does sound different from every other Mark, huh.

Also I'm kind of shocked at how close the Deliverance got to the Marks II's.

@ultimatemetalguitartones Does the Deliverance feel like a Mark when you play it? Do you find that the Deliverance's sound in this clip was on the thinner, more trebly side of what it can do or the thicker, bassier side? Or was the amp dialed to noon on everything and this is right in the middle of its "spectrum" of available sounds?
I’ve owned a D120 and a 2C+ and they couldn’t feel more different IMO.
The VHT was way tighter and dry and requires precision.
The 2 C+ was way more forgiving and the feel is very fun to play. Not loose, but fun to play. Never played another amp quite like it.

Proof that I have the worst ears around. But I liked the SRGX the most
It was a difficult test to be hoesg

Also I'm kind of shocked at how close the Deliverance got to the Marks II's.

Well funny you should say that because the other day my buddy and I were playing his mark mark iv and after a while when I introduced him to my d120 his first reaction was that I had it dialed similar to his mark iv. The feeling is totally different though as the D120 is unforgiving. These vht fryette amps will teach you how to play like a real man 😂 😂
But yeah at least in this clip I agree, the d120 does sound close to the mark series amps

My guess having not looked and having never played a Deliverance:
HRX
Deliverance
JP2C
SRGX

EDIT: Fail! That JP2C is more percussive than the others by a good amount, that's I why I thought it was the non-Mesa.

Well funny you should say that because the other day my buddy and I were playing his mark mark iv and after a while when I introduced him to my d120 his first reaction was that I had it dialed similar to his mark iv. The feeling is totally different though as the D120 is unforgiving. These vht fryette amps will teach you how to play like a real man 😂 😂
But yeah at least in this clip I agree, the d120 does sound close to the mark series amps

That's really interesting, cool.

Did dialing the Deliverance's tone in that video take some really extreme settings, or was it just sort of an "all knobs somewhere between 10:00 and 2:00" sort of easily achievable sound for the Deliverance?

Does that question make sense? Basically I'm asking if the tone in that video is just kind of what your Deliverance naturally wants to sound like or if you had to use extreme settings to get there.

That's really interesting, cool.

Did dialing the Deliverance's tone in that video take some really extreme settings, or was it just sort of an "all knobs somewhere between 10:00 and 2:00" sort of easily achievable sound for the Deliverance?

Does that question make sense? Basically I'm asking if the tone in that video is just kind of what your Deliverance naturally wants to sound like or if you had to use extreme settings to get there.
These are the settings I used

Attachments

• received_531446221763641.jpeg
    received_531446221763641.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 20
Not liking the VHT but I would be more than content with any of the other three, my favorite being the 2C+ HRX.

Last edited:
1. Mark IIC+ SRGX (Rane Parametric EQ)
2. VHT Deliverance (no boost eq)
3. Mark IIC+ HRG (Rane Parametric EQ)
4. Mark IIC+ SRGX (Mesa EQ engaged)

#1 and #3 could go either way. These two amps sound the most similar so I'm guessing those are the two Rane EQ clips. However, not sure which one is which. I'll take a wild guess that #1 is the SRGX because it sounds slightly more high mid-centric, whereas #3 is slightly more low-end heavy which suggests it has the bigger iron of the HRG. However #3 is also quieter in the mix so it's hard to really tell. Could go either way.

This leaves #2 and #4. Between them, #2 has more of a Presence spike and a drier, clearer pick attack so I'm guessing that's the VHT.
From there, the only thing left is to guess that #4 is the SRGX with Mesa built-in EQ active. THEN AGAIN in the first clip, the Mesa was brighter than the VHT so these could ALSO go either way. #2 could be the SRGX with Mesa EQ and #4 could be the VHT.

Guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Back