412fl - how do I tell if it's the old version or the newer?

scoobydoo

I am looking at a used diezel cab that is front loaded, black grille, all eminence speakers (I think 100w legends). The info for ohms and such and hand written with a silver marker on the back. I am told that it was built custom around a year ago for an artist/endorsee and that it is made of poplar. Is this the older or the newer cab?

easy way...look @ the input panel on the back. are the 2 inputs silver input jacks or does the 8ohm one have a red nut on it? If they are sliver..its a new cab. If it has a red nut on the 8ohm input, its the old cab. another is does the grill have silver piping? the new FLs have silver piping around the grill. :thumbsup:

That's quite a stupid comment from a manufacturer... You do what you want, but this ain't good publicity or view for you in-my-not-so-humble opinion

NEW DIEZEL CABS RULES.

Don't fret over the comment guys, he's just ticked that as soon as he finally had a cab built that could compete with the Diezel cab, Diezel went out and built a new design that blows the doors off the competition. :yes:

Like I said, no biggie... :LOL: :LOL:

you boys certainly wad your panties easily. Tell me then what INNOVATION is in the Diezel cab? We dissected one recently and can see nothing new. OK, front-loaded...been around forever and used by others. Dadoed speaker baffle...same thing used by other FL cabs. Nothing unusual in dimensions or any jointing whatsoever. Even Stapher explains this in the famous video. So tell me one damn DESIGN ENGINEERING innovation that would actually make a difference.....I'm waiting.

And we've heard the cab next to ours many times....obviously you have not. If you say you have, then PM me and give me the details of who and where.

BTW Mills, if you guys were THAT good, you'd build AMPS. not just cabs.
FYI, with the right tools I could prolly build a 4x12 as good as yours.

:banhim:

Cheers.
-STEF

stefvorcide":lq9wnv87 said:
BTW Mills, if you guys were THAT good, you'd build AMPS. not just cabs.
FYI, with the right tools I could prolly build a 4x12 as good as yours.

:banhim:

Cheers.
-STEF

That rig gives me wood.
V.

PS - wherever that pic of the white tolex'd Herbster and 4x12 went, that's what I'm talking about. And hey, I'm not bashing MA cabs, I think they're pretty solid and have said so since day one. I think this is just some peer-to-peer banter that's supposed to be taken with a grain o'salt.

I mean... it's the DIEZEL forum, not the mills forum. Does Suhr/Caa comes here to bash diezel? does Elmwood? Cameron? any other manifacturer? No.

Ventura":1vuuiro2 said:
That rig gives me wood.
V.

PS - wherever that pic of the white tolex'd Herbster and 4x12 went, that's what I'm talking about. And hey, I'm not bashing MA cabs, I think they're pretty solid and have said so since day one. I think this is just some peer-to-peer banter that's supposed to be taken with a grain o'salt.
It is that indeed. Thanks for keeping cool, V.

MILLS Acoustics":2vxzbbu3 said:
you boys certainly wad your panties easily. Tell me then what INNOVATION is in the Diezel cab? We dissected one recently and can see nothing new. OK, front-loaded...been around forever and used by others. Dadoed speaker baffle...same thing used by other FL cabs. Nothing unusual in dimensions or any jointing whatsoever. Even Stapher explains this in the famous video. So tell me one damn DESIGN ENGINEERING innovation that would actually make a difference.....I'm waiting.

And we've heard the cab next to ours many times....obviously you have not. If you say you have, then PM me and give me the details of who and where.
It's all in the sound buddy! I heard one of your cabs and wasn't impressed.with it. It was with a Mesa triple recto and thought the recto cab sounded just as good or better. After that day there is no way I'd ever run out to order one of your cabs that is an off brand to my head brand to start with, and costs more than a mesa cab that doesn't sound any better.

I mean Geez Wiz.... you don't even make a front loaded cab. :confused: Most of us metal heads prefer front loaded in the first place.

Look, I've never been interested in off brand cabs, but I do know you make decent stuff for a "universal" use and can respect that, but we'd all appreciate a more professional attitude. You are probably thinking "what's the big deal?" and I know I would have said no biggie if you would have responded with a more humble attitude stating that it was just a light hearted joke of some sort. I am more unimpressed with your response to the criticisms of your original post.

RJF":3810qgfc said:
MILLS Acoustics":3810qgfc said:

It's all in the sound buddy! I heard one of your cabs and wasn't impressed.with it. It was with a Mesa triple recto and thought the recto cab sounded just as good or better. After that day there is no way I'd ever run out to order one of your cabs that is an off brand to my head brand to start with, and costs more than a mesa cab that doesn't sound any better.

I mean Geez Wiz.... you don't even make a front loaded cab. :confused: Most of us metal heads prefer front loaded in the first place.

Look, I've never been interested in off brand cabs, but I do know you make decent stuff for a "universal" use and can respect that, but we'd all appreciate a more professional attitude. You are probably thinking "what's the big deal?" and I know I would have said no biggie if you would have responded with a more humble attitude stating that it was just a light hearted joke of some sort. I am more unimpressed with your response to the criticisms of your original post.
In the sound...why didn't I think of that? I've heard Diezel cabs and have been equally unimpressed. Yes we cost $80-100 more than a Mesa but Diezel is $600 more than ours. That alone is VERY unimpressive. And it's ironic that a noticeable percentage of our sales seem to go to guys who run Diezel heads, including several Major Label artists. I've heard this pairing and so therefore understand it. But you are correct in one thing...our logo is in fact different, so if that's what floats your boat at any price, then more power to you.

We do not use front loading although we'd love to. They are easier and faster to build. I have built many of them in our early prototyping days and found that depth and projection suffered. But that's just my opinion and the 10-12 various players who are always involved in any of our design decisions. It also seems to be the opinion of many of the folks who have written to us. We didn't want to build an uber-metal one trick pony. Although many hard core hi-gain shredders think our cab is the tits. As to professionalism, I really don't care if you failed to see the sarcastic humor in my post. Yes, it was a tongue-in-cheek poke at the "radical new design" baloney. I figured even the Diezel fanbois would see it as such and apparently(to his credit) only one did (V.) To us, professionalism is value for the dollar, demonstrable engineering advantage, incredible customer service and support, a "return for any reason" guarantee (does Diezel have one?) and doing what it takes to keep your customers happy and coming back. We are very good in those areas. If you don't like me personally, I can live with it. There are many who think I'm fairly decent. :)

There are guys who don't like one brand or another. It will always be that way. I have referred quite a few guys to Diezel for possible amp buys. They build a good amp. But to say their 412FL is some advanced design is ludicrous. Theirs is a good cab and possibly even one of the better ones, but certainly no more than that. It takes more than a logo to affect the mechanics of sound reproduction. That's just the way it is....sorry.

Diezel cabs are higher here in the US because of custom issues, just like in Europe where Mesa cabs go for more than the Diezel cabs, and yours would be the highest priced of them all if you were selling overseas and had to deal with the same customs issues.

You can preach all day long how great your rear loaded cabs are, but you and Mesa Boogie are the only two that I can think unable to build a front loaded cab. Just off the top of my head, Diezel, Framus, VHT, Bogner, ENGL.... all build front loads as their flag ship cab. Your dozen artists are a fraction of what even just one of those companies have that think their cab is the best on the market.

I've heard your cab in person, owned multiple rear loads, and do own multiple front loads from a half dozen different manufacturers. I'm sorry, but I think the VHT FB, Framus Cobra, and Diezel cab will walk all over your flamethrower cab all day long.

Don't give me the song and dance on customer service, as you won't find a better example than from Peter Diezel. Besides, customer service starts all the way down to the potential future buyers, and displaying yourself in an unprofessional manor will not help sway future potential buyers your way. As far as not liking you personally, I have nothing against you and shouldn't as I've never met you in person. I guess it's just as a fellow small business owner, I just don't understand the unprofessional ism towards potential customers that could be reading your every move when doing a simple search on this board with topics about Mills cabs. Am I one of those future customers for a rear load cab? Probably not, and in fact, I feel very close to the way you do in a similar scenario . I've heard some decent hype on your cab, yet also found myself unimpressed when I actually had the chance to hear one.

BUT.......... I'll tell you what, the day you start building a 4x12 model that is front loaded, put me down for the first one. I'll give it an honest run for it's money up against my new front load Diezel cab. :yes:

:rock: :D

DiezelMills.jpg

I usually avoid topics like this, but for what it's worth: I'm actually in the market to find a couple of cabs to pair with my Diezel and Orange heads. I've been looking VERY heavy into a couple of Mills cabs and I'm probably going to be scratching them off of my list. Why? Because I'm a small business owner myself, and my dad has owned a music store since before I was born. I'm a firm believer in professionalism when it comes to representing your business in every aspect and on every level. Value isn't the bottom line in professionalism. It's how you treat people. Customers, potential customers, and even your competition and their customers. Now I'm going to tell my group of influence which easily covers 60+ guitarists that highly respect my opinion. I'm not saying this to be a clown, I'm just pointing out how you just affected your own business. Not saying one cab is better than the other, it's all subjective anyways.

The joke was obvious and, in my opinion, pretty funny. Some of you are waaaayyyyyyyy too sensitive. :bash:

I am also going to be in the market for a new cab soon, and will most likely be checking out a Mills.

I will also use my influence over the 60+ guitarists that hang on my every word to promote Mills cabs thus offsetting the damage done by captain butthurt up there that was born with no sense of humor. :D :D

Back