5150 amp debate

Robcapp0820

Looking into the 5150 iiis the 50 watt version is most practical for me however I have heard that the 100w version is just in a different league. Is it worth getting the 100w version?

The 5153 EL34 100 watt is by far, to me, the best incarnation of the 5153 line. It’s low end sits much deeper and punchier, more aggressive midrange etc. the blue channel doesn’t have the “issues” the 50 watt el34 does. The EL34 100 watt is kind of the sleeper of the line I feel, as it doesn’t get the praise and recognition of the others. Sitting in a friends studio with a 15k dollar genelec system with both amps micd up ( original 5153 and the EL34 100) was almost laughable to me, it was just so much better.

When I had a 5153 50 watt I really enjoyed the blue channel and that's about it. I thought the clean was just ok and the red channel to me, has too much unusable gain. And for some reason is the only amp I've had so far that I thought sounded horrible through my Bogner 2x12 with V30s

Hated the 5150 iii EL34 100W I played at volume. Just plain uninspiring. I liked the 5150 III lunchbox more through a mesa V30 cab. I recommend going smaller not larger, the smaller 50W has received more updates than the 100W.

I kinda want a 5153 but threads like this discourage me. Makes me think I'll end up buying all of them just to know which I like best, and that's just too many 5150s haha.

After owning two different 5153 50w and an Invective 120 and finally selling all 3, I'd probably go Invective if I was to repurchase. It's the most versatile, gets the most tones, and gets crazy brutal if you want. The one area the 50w wins is separate eq for crunch and lead. I hate shared eq and it was always a compromise for me with the Invective.

Now the 50w Stealth seems to be a great contender, and don't forget about the mystery 5150 coming down the pipeline.

I have the EL34 and 6L6 (concentric pots) 50 watters. I waited far too long to actually get one of these things. I played the 50 watt Stealth a couple of times in the store and it kinda got the itch going. I like my 6L6 version best though. I have a ECC83 MG(mid gain) in V1 and a 5751 in V2 and old Ei 12AT7 in V3 to tame the red channel. So damn good now. However, the Blue channel is where its at for me.
Not too long ago I also picked up the EL34 50 watt and immediately hated what they had done to the blue channel. I then did the C137 cap snip and it totally brought it back to glory. I also run a couple of old Mullard 12AT7's in V2 and V3 to tame the Red channel and that works great. It also sounds great now, but I slightly prefer the 6L6 version. Just by a hair. I can't really judge the Stealth 50 watt until I get one in my room with my guitar and cabs, but my impression in the store was that the blue channel was a wee bit smoother/polished. But like I said, until I get one in my room I can't really judge it. But IMO, you really can't go wrong with any of them. I have ZERO desire for the 100 watt version of anything.

Side note, I emailed Headfirst Amplification yesterday about possibly doing a PCB for a single channel 50 watt copy of the 6L6 Blue channel. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be interested in that. Simple one channel 50 watt blue channel build in a small (maybe even slightly smaller than the EVH 50 head). No midi or channel switching. Just a loop and maybe a line out.

I just got the EVH 5150 III - 100W Stealth a couple of weeks ago. This amp is awesome. and is one of my favorites now

This is the meanest and most vicious tone monster I have ever heard!!! I've played a lot of amps. I worked music retail for 15 years. I own about 15 amps now (four different Marshalls plus a Mesa Boogie, two Peaveys, a Hughes and Ketner, Ampeg, Fender, Vox and others).

The 2nd/Medium Gain channel is very versatile. You can do any kind of mild rock to full blown metal. It has as much gain available as most amps lead channel has.

The 3rd/High Gain channel should be illegal. It has more gain than anyone will ever need.

The tone controls, presence and resonance controls are very effective and interact together in wonderful ways. The best way I can put it is that usually a high gain amp has one sound with different EQ curves. This amp has many, many different sounds available.

What impresses me the most is that even with ridiculous amounts of gain, the notes still retained clarity and punch. This amp doesn't squash the notes. It enhances them.

This amp is LOUD. I have played 100 watt heads for decades. This is the loudest, most efficient head I have ever touched. Even at high volumes the noise floor is very very low and the hum almost non existent. I'll still use a gate in the loop but it isn't necessary.

I am so glad Eddie gave us this amp before his passing. RIP and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I have a 100w Stealth I really, really like. Its Red channel really is something special. Ultra high gain but very clear and articulate, and also really smooth. I've always been curious about the 100w EL34 version though. I've never played one and would love to.

If anybody is around the Nashville area and has a 5150 III EL34 100w and is curious about how the 100w Stealth compares, let me know!

Had the 50 watters
Own the original 5153 ivory 100 watt
Have the 6l6 stealth and the El34 stealth
Was using them together in a rig.
In my humble opinion when we a/b them in the studio the 100s sounded better not to mention bigger in the room.

Not that the 50s aren’t good they are killer and for the money I think a no brainer. Dollar for dollar I don’t know anything that goes against the 50 watters.

I prefer the 100s for low end response
The way they move a boogie cabinet is second to nothing, and they are rock solid.
I attached a shitty photo of the rig.

I found what was mentioned before to be correct the 34 sat in the midrange and low end nicely. It was mix ready quicker.

the original 5153 ivory 100 watt is a dryer sound, blue channel I can never get going
Red is where it’s at. Gojira in a box if that’s your thing.

hope that helps

Attachments

• 7DB98D2B-E631-4B6C-9F3E-CC7991FA15EC.jpeg
    7DB98D2B-E631-4B6C-9F3E-CC7991FA15EC.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 73
Back