5150 Iconic

It’s on the menu
939D41DD-83B9-46F1-9E7F-3EE8D5CE8B0B.jpeg

It's the cab/speakers. I can't believe how much people are freaking out over the EVH video.

Thank you! The level of "the sky is falling" sentiment I've seen over this amp on this forum, TGP, and even youtube since the official demo video is unbelievable.

The reality is that we still know almost nothing about how it will really be as an amp. One clip from one person, played through an entirely previously unknown cab, gives us almost zero actual usable info except maybe a ballpark level of gain it can achieve. Not even the characteristics of the gain, just the broad amount. That's it.

We'll need to hear a lot more of the Iconic before we can start to understand what it's really like.

Thank you! The level of "the sky is falling" sentiment I've seen over this amp on this forum, TGP, and even youtube since the official demo video is unbelievable.

The reality is that we still know almost nothing about how it will really be as an amp. One clip from one person, played through an entirely previously unknown cab, gives us almost zero actual usable info except maybe a ballpark level of gain it can achieve. Not even the characteristics of the gain, just the broad amount. That's it.

We'll need to hear a lot more of the Iconic before we can start to understand what it's really like.
Exactly and it’s a $900 amplifier!!

Mine is suppose to arrive this week, I figured for $900 what the hell I’d give it a ride!!

And like I told my buddy if it’s a complete turd 💩 I’ll turn it into a lamp!!

Oh hey, another video:

All three amps sound really close. I think the Iconic sounds a bit crispier, maybe tighter than the others. I think the OG and 3 have a bit more body in the mids. Really can't pick a favorite out of any of the three.

Last edited:
I wanna hear the iconic A/B’d with the Bugera Infinium...cuz it sounds just like it to me. A little more crisp and sizzle, tighter with a little bit of hollowness too. Time will tell. Cuz as long as they’re not poppin tubes left and right, or having technical issues after 6 months, seems like a fine price point.

Played one today. It’s definitely getting a bad rap. I don’t care about death metal or any of that. I just set it up to sound like EVH. Both channels sound great. Not the VH1 plexi tone like my SL68 but unchained sounded good. The amp was fun. I have an SLO, BE100 Deluxe, Suhr SL68, EVH 100 watt el34, peavey 5150 II, 100 watt jubilee and I’d still probably get one.

Played one today. It’s definitely getting a bad rap. I don’t care about death metal or any of that. I just set it up to sound like EVH. Both channels sound great. Not the VH1 plexi tone like my SL68 but unchained sounded good. The amp was fun. I have an SLO, BE100 Deluxe, Suhr SL68, EVH 100 watt el34, peavey 5150 II, 100 watt jubilee and I’d still probably get one.

Sorry, you just don’t understand. The geniuses on this forum have already declared it to be an Official Bad Amp based on a single video made by a channel that has never released good sounding videos. AND, these very, very smart and intelligent people are also incapable of admitting they’ve ever made any mistakes even if they’re blatantly shown new conflicting information afterward.

So, apologies, but you’ll just have to turn in your Good Tone Taste card. Sorry, I don’t make the rules.

HR will contact you shortly to inform you of your COBRA eligibility.

Last edited:
Oh hey, another video:

All three amps sound really close. I think the Iconic sounds a bit crispier, maybe tighter than the others. I think the OG and 3 have a bit more body in the mids. Really can't pick a favorite out of any of the three.

And James Brown explained why the Iconic sounded crispier and tighter there. Basically, 1) the Iconic presence knob actually does something below 5, whereas the 5151 presence knob does nothing until it's past 5, and 2) the Iconic red channel burn mode is supposed to be more burly like the 5151 red channel. With the burn mode off, like I think Fluff had it, it has less gain and less low mids.

Sorry, you just don’t understand. The geniuses on this forum have already declared it to be an Official Bad Amp based on a single video made by a channel that has never released good sounding videos. AND, these very, very smart and intelligent people are also incapable of admitting they’ve ever made any mistakes even if they’re blatantly shown new conflicting information afterward.

So, apologies, but you’ll just have to turn in your Good Tone Taste card. Sorry, I don’t make the rules.

Yeah TGG is correct and you are wrong justin. Per this thread and the OP clip posted in it, this amp blows. Doesn't matter that you played one in person, the clip has spoken and the verdict is that this amp sucks...done...LOL!

Last edited:
And James Brown explained why the Iconic sounded crispier and tighter there. Basically, 1) the Iconic presence knob actually does something below 5, whereas the 5151 presence knob does nothing until it's past 5, and 2) the Iconic red channel burn mode is supposed to be more burly like the 5151 red channel. With the burn mode off, like I think Fluff had it, it has less gain and less low mids.
The presence knob does something before 5? Big whoop. That's not a reason to spend a thousand bucks just to have that miniscule feature. Not to me anyways.

I don't understand why this amp exists. It's not even that much cheaper than a 6505. The market is already saturated with 5150 variations that all more or less do the same thing.

90% of the amps out there do the same thing...just different flavors. It's just manufacturers trying to stay a float or boost sales through marketing.

The presence knob does something before 5? Big whoop. That's not a reason to spend a thousand bucks just to have that miniscule feature. Not to me anyways.
I don't I understand your comment. The Iconic presence pot is not "better." It's different.

This is useful to know for someone trying to dial in the Ionic to sound like the 5151. If you run the 5151 presence around 7 (I think everyone does?), you probably do not want to do that with the Iconic because it'll be super bright because of the pot difference. You'd want the Iconic presence around 2 or 3 just because of the different pot.

The Axe FX 5150 model is the same way. The virtual presence on 2 or 3 is around what the actual amp sounds like with the presence on 7.

It wasn't a brag, and it wasn't framed as a "new feature." It was an explanation about why the Iconic sounds comparatively brighter than the other 5150's at "the same" knob settings.

Basically, when James Brown explained that, he was actually saying "turn the Iconic's Presence down more if you want a more apples-to-apples comparison."

Last edited:
Back