5150 Iconic

In the early days, EVH would give bogus information to throw people off-track. In those days, his advice would have been; Why don't you try being original. Find your own sound. Stop trying to rip-off mine. Once he realized how much money could be made, he whored his tone out to anyone willing to pay. Good thing too... If there is one thing the world needs more of, it's VH "tribute" bands. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Geo
To my ears it is a crossover hybrid between a 5150, Marshall and Randall RG100ES, it has that S/S crunchiness and attack and yes it has some solid state qualities to it but in a good way which I like and it reminds me of my Randall RG100ES but with 5150 amounts of gain, all that seems to be a win win in my book as the newer Randalls never really captured the magic that the old RG's have.

If James Brown designed these with currently available S/S mosfet components good for him, Randall couldn't really get it done as well as numerous others who supposedly re-engineered the old RG's. Maybe they could make the preamp work but had to use the tube power amp for the punch either way it seems they succeeded.

We'll see what their reliability is like at this pricepoint. Aren't EVH amps made in Mexico?

I'd seriously consider one of these and may snag a used one just for the 5150 aspect of it.

Yum yum

E8426C26-FC90-4D4B-8529-D32F58E0CAB3.png

To my ears it is a crossover hybrid between a 5150, Marshall and Randall RG100ES, it has that S/S crunchiness and attack and yes it has some solid state qualities to it but in a good way which I like and it reminds me of my Randall RG100ES but with 5150 amounts of gain, all that seems to be a win win in my book as the newer Randalls never really captured the magic that the old RG's have.

If James Brown designed these with currently available S/S mosfet components good for him, Randall couldn't really get it done as well as numerous others who supposedly re-engineered the old RG's. Maybe they could make the preamp work but had to use the tube power amp for the punch either way it seems they succeeded.

We'll see what their reliability is like at this pricepoint. Aren't EVH amps made in Mexico?

I'd seriously consider one of these and may snag a used one just for the 5150 aspect of it.
So,
If I buy one,you'll take it off my hands for $1599?
(supply and demand baby)

LOL

Played it today. I liked it. I didn't crank it, but at lower volumes, through a 4x12 it is a fun amp to play. I really liked the Green Channel on Crunch. With a boost, it would be where I lived on the amp.

It's tighter than a tube amp, to me. Still has a little bit of sing and sag, but it's definitely a more immediate feel.

The Burn boost is pretty cool; they should make it footswitchable. EQ is pretty responsive and variable in the pre & power section.

I don't get the hate, having plate it now. Fun amp.

So I was browsing at GC today and they had one so I bought it to try it.
It's pretty good but not that different from my 50 watt 6L6 5150 III. I'm probably returning it.

Back