5150 Studio Session 1993 VAN HALEN

harddriver

I enjoyed this vid, thought you might too. Does the amp sound like a 5150 amp to you? Just curious? This first tune Dreams did not... the amp sounded more crunchy and less compressed. The Who song sounded like it had more compression in the tone more akin to a 5150, I cant' imagine he changed amps between songs live. It was cool to hear Ed ad-libbing as he goes.

Last edited:
Maybe his Soldano ?
I think I would agree with the Soldano amp conclusion because this tone is very much like the live Cabo Wabo bar tone when he is using the SLO, there is a hint of compression but not like what I hear with the 5150, many say the EVH 5150 III has this same type of compression as well. If you compare this tone to the live 1991 tone in Dallas Texas the 5150 just sounds different, I know there are more effects/detune in Dallas but the circuit just has more compression built into it, it just does to my ears. I owned a USA 6505 and I liked it so I'm not bashing the 6505 I'm just analyzing to tones here. I'll add the Dallas show so you can hear the difference.

During Wont Get fooled again you see Ed at time stamp 12:40 steps on a some sort of boost or EQ boost pedal right before the solo and after the solo he steps on it again to turn it off. It looks like the pedal he steps on is white... What color are the Soldano channel selector pedals? White I do believe... or maybe it is just some sort of boost pedal like a Micro amp. Interesting nonetheless...

Alright here's the Soldano SLO live at Cabo Wabo, you can hear it is less compressed, crunchy and some more spank in the highs.

Last edited:
EVH 5150III is very compressed and
I think I would agree with the Soldano amp conclusion because this tone is very much like the live Cabo Wabo bar tone when he is using the SLO, there is a hint of compression but not like I hear with the 5150, many say the EVH 5150 III has this same type of compression as well.
That makes a lot of sense for the inspiration behind the compression to the 5150III.

EVH 5150III is very compressed and

That makes a lot of sense for the inspiration behind the compression to the 5150III.
I agree . My 5153,stealth sounds identical to my 100 watt avenger . They are so close . So I sold avenger but shouldn’t have lol

Thought I read a article. Eddie said Michael Anthony couldn’t play bass and he had to do all the parts?
He seems pretty good here?!?

I've read that before - that was just some straight butthurt BS attack. Mikey can clearly play

My understanding was that once they started touring the FUCK album it was all Peavey 5150. Keep in mind that he could have been using the crunch side of the clean channel. Which on the original Peaveys was actually a very good sound.

I agree . My 5153,stealth sounds identical to my 100 watt avenger . They are so close . So I sold avenger but shouldn’t have lol

I own a 50 watt stealth and 100 watt Avenger as well. I don't think they sound similar at all.

I own a 50 watt stealth and 100 watt Avenger as well. I don't think they sound similar at all.
Mine do a lot . It’s crazy . Maybe it’s the 100 watt . I do feel the stealth 100 and 50 sound different to my ear

Is just me or does the Soldano SLO the he used in the Cabo Wabo show sound really good? It also seems to fit well with Ed's style. It's grindy, crunchy, clanky like plexi has some compression but to much and I don't feel this tone was too far off of his 12301 tone dry if you really listen.

When you compare Dallas to this show the SLO really shines IMHO.:p:2thumbsup:

Back