5150III 50w bedroom/apartment volume?

matt

I've read on a few forums that the 5150III mini sounds great at bedroom volumes. I live in an apartment and can't crank an amp like you lucky SOBS that have basements/live out in the country/soundproof room etc.

I'd like some more opinions from 5150III mini owners on its low volume capabilities. I'm not necessarily talking mouse fart volume here, I can play somewhat loud, just not shake the walls loud. but if the mini can do mouse fart volumes I'm all for it.
btw, I would be playing it through a recto 2x12 with v30s.

I know a modeler/ampsims is the more practical solution. I have a pod hd500 that sounds pretty good through studio monitors but the 5150III has me GASing pretty hard. If I do purchase one I will probably look into making a loadbox so I can silently record with IRs late at night.

The full size 5153 sounds great at the low volumes. I played both a few times, own the 100W. Either is good, 100w just a tad more versatile. I play mine at 5:30 am before I go to work when I drag my sorry ass out of bed in time to practice. Don't let the 100W get you thinking it is a loud only amp. They have a very graduated volume pot taper.

I concour. The amp sounds very satisfying at bedroom volumes and of course cranked up. I am really enjoying manipulating the resonance knob. Tweaking the knob I can capture tones from the 70s 80s and get brutal if need be, and wont disturb a rodents flatulence.

I had one for a while. It's a great amp for that. Enjoy! The resonance control at the back really helps for bumping the bottom end up at lower volumes. It's a great little amp!

thanks for the reassurance guys! I would like to eventually pair the 5150III with a two notes torpedo live. at that point the cost would be about the same as an axe or kemper so maybe it would be more logical to get one of those? but at the same time I only need a few tones and the mini can give me everything I need as far as tone. just thinking out loud here...

matt":2geqmiao said:
thanks for the reassurance guys! I would like to eventually pair the 5150III with a two notes torpedo live. at that point the cost would be about the same as an axe or kemper so maybe it would be more logical to get one of those? but at the same time I only need a few tones and the mini can give me everything I need as far as tone. just thinking out loud here...

I also am thinking Kemper. It almost seems too good to be true. I have neard nothing but good of it. I probably will join the Kemper forum to look in to profile sharing etc.

Chubtone":28fs2tl6 said:
The 5150 III 50w sounds fantastic at any volume. I continue to be impressed by this amp. :thumbsup:
I agree!! I haven't owned an amp this long in years and I have no thought's of selling it!!!!! And the fact that after my discounts I paid $764.99 for it makes it the greatest score of all. That was from Guitar Center new BTW!!!!!!

To be completely honestly, I like it better at moderate room volume than cranked. It's great for apartment/bedroom playing. The volume can be a little sensitive at some spots though, like a slight nudge can bring it from quiet to way too loud.

Back