'62 Fender Bassman 4 Ohm + 16 Ohm Cabinet with 8 Ohm Captor X

Funkmonkey

Hey,

Want to buy a Captor X and i have a '62 Fender Bassman 4 Ohm + 16 Ohm Cabinet.
Will it be safe without damaging my gear to run it into the 8 Ohm Captor X?
A little bit confused...

Thanks!

I don't really get your question the way you wrote it. If the Bassman is stock and only has a 4 ohm speaker out you can probably run it into an 8 ohm load and it won't break anything. If you are cranking the amp then I wouldn't do it. It also won't sound as good into 8 ohms as it will at 4 ohms. I have a BF Bassman (only 4 ohm out) and I tried for years to 'get away' with using 8 ohm cabs. But once you've heard it at 4 ohms it's very hard to go back to 8 ohms. It just sounds better in pretty much every way.

My amp is 4 Ohm in a 8 Ohm Captor X but if i want to use the attenuator at Low or Medium the only cab i have is a Marshall 4 x 12 16 Ohm.
To be safe as possible should i leave it at 16 Ohm or re-wire it at 4 Ohm?

I've seen to mismatch 1 step up max, but from the Captor X 8 Ohm to cab 1 step up is it into a 16 Ohm Cab or from a 4 Ohm Cab to the Captor X 8 Ohm?

Not familiar with a Captor X. It is probably written in the user manual, they don't want people blowing up their amps while using their product.

Then I would take that as the amp sees that 8 ohm load of the Captor and the cab doesn't matter as far as what the amp sees.

But going 4 ohm amp into 8 ohm Captor and then 8 ohm Captor into 16 ohm cab might sound even worse. I have a bunch of 4x12 but just never wired them at 4 ohm. I have a dedicated 2x12 just for my Bassman but I use it for BF Fender tones. You can wire a cab with 2 jacks such that one is 4 ohm and one is 16 ohm but unfortunately the 16 ohm setting would be Parallel-Series instead of Series-Parallel. I prefer Series-Parallel. Just to clarify nomenclature, when I say Series-Parallel I mean 2 pairs of speakers are each wired in series (so 16+16=32 ohms) and then parallel at the jack. So 32*32/(32+32)=16.

Hello @Funkmonkey

The attenuator is active on the Captor X 8 ohms when the Volume Level switch is on LOW or halfway position. The impedance shown to the amp in these 2 cases is the Captor X's, whatever the cabinet connected to the Speaker Out of the Captor X.

Back