6505 is discontinued (says sweetwater)

ClintN667

I'm hoping Peavey releases the new version soon. I've had a 6505 on order from zzounds for a few months. It was supposed to ship this week with a shipment on the 7th that didn't show up.

So I started looking elsewhere and sweetwater emailed me back and said it was discontinued. Every shop I've looked at say "more on order" but no date. Even the Peavey site says there out.

Hopefully they won't jack up the price on the new version but I doubt it.

Also I found a US made 6505+ on guitar centers site listed as great condition. It didn't have any pics but I bought it and messaged them to send me pics before they shipped. A couple hours ago they emailed me and said it was a combo and not a head... Glad I know they are incompetent or else I would be pissed having to send back a combo.

Really hoping Peavey doesn't screw up these new 6505s. Seems like the prior version was effectively discontinued long ago because no one ever has any in stock.

The mods they did to the new 6505 I did to mine 20 years ago. Mine already has an IEC plug, bias mod, upgraded OT and choke, and can accept EL34 or 6L6. It has a few personal voicing preferences as well.

I’ll honestly say that all changes they suggest are worth waiting for. Mines not going anywhere.

Hopefully this means the new 6505 "1992 Original" and 6505 II are releasing soon. I'd love to pick up an updated version of the OG.

Also, get ready for 5150's and current 6505's, along with 5150 II's and 6505+'s, to skyrocket to $3,500 when word gets out that they've been "discontinued" lol.

Last edited:
The mods they did to the new 6505 I did to mine 20 years ago. Mine already has an IEC plug, bias mod, upgraded OT and choke, and can accept EL34 or 6L6. It has a few personal voicing preferences as well.

I’ll honestly say that all changes they suggest are worth waiting for. Mines not going anywhere.
I still have a plain 6505 on order with zzounds. I'm wondering if they are discontinued if they will be the same price or if they will just switch my order to the new one and let me pay the difference or just cancel the order outright

Where's people reading about this "new" 6505??

Edit: Saw Kyle's video on the 6505II. Guess it's legit, and sounds like a real gem. Upgraded transformers from their flagship Chinese amp, "some upgraded parts" that they really don't specify, and the ability to take EL34's that "likely won't run to spec", sounds like a real peach!

Last edited:
In the vid I thought the original 6505+ sounded better but they were close enough. If the new versions are using higher grade parts than at least the normal MiC versions, that'll be good enough.

Yeah I really like the cosmetics but honestly on a production amp unless its gawdy af I don't care. Hell even when I have the option to customize the cosmetics I usually go as plain as possible. My Ares is the standard headshell and honestly I couldnt love that thing more.

I have a regular 6505 on order with ZZounds and I asked them if they were going to be able to ship it since Sweetwater says its discontinued and they said they only know of the combo being discontinued and that my order will ship.

I really dig Kyle's comparison video on the two and while I would prefer to have the new one it wasnt night and day different and with an EQ in the loop which I always do with these amps I will be happy.

Kyle said that he has to ship the 6505ii to Agufish once he is done with it and I think Fluff is getting one to demo soon(although I could be wrong about him). So I would imagine they are getting ready to be released soon.

Peavey apparently has a few things in the works to revive their brand. I REALLY REALLY hope they reissue the VTM. In my opinion their product line should have continued the VTM, the XXX/JSX, and the 5150/6505 lines instead of putting everything into 6505 and invective.

Is the new version going to be able to do integrated quads (half EL34/half 6L6)?

One of the best 5150's I've ever heard came from a dude on HC over 20 years ago that had that had that power tube configuration.

Wonder what moniker he's using these days; formerly David Gerlach/King Crimson/Electric Glide/etc

Is the new version going to be able to do integrated quads (half EL34/half 6L6)?

One of the best 5150's I've ever heard came from a dude on HC over 20 years ago that had that had that power tube configuration.

Wonder what moniker he's using these days; formerly David Gerlach/King Crimson/Electric Glide/etc
I doubt it but I imagine it would be possible by just modding a bias resistor

Peavey apparently has a few things in the works to revive their brand. I REALLY REALLY hope they reissue the VTM. In my opinion their product line should have continued the VTM, the XXX/JSX, and the 5150/6505 lines instead of putting everything into 6505 and invective.
Agree.

Further the VTM should have been repackaged. Smaller head shell and loop on the back. Afterall they were Peavey's answer to the 800 and are now much appreciated. I actually think there would be a nice market for a rebrand of those amps.

5150's should have looked like the new 6505II with the big logo and the modern Peavey logo from the get go. Those now could be updated by fixing the volume taper making the amp master volume friendly. IMO, that's really the only thing wrong with those amps. And keeping the transformers and parts up to spec.

Triple and JSX should have been left alone totally except for redesigns on the front face. And not what they eventually evolved into which looked even worse than the original fronts IMO.

If people think about it, that's a helluva amp lineup from one company. Unfortunately Peavey's refusal to update aesthetics and poor business practices have nearly torpedoed a really good American company. And that's not even taking into account the whole classic series.

It's funny, Hartley fought for credibility for years with those designs and now the 5150 lineage is as iconic as a handful of other amps in the modern era.

If Peavey can just make and deliver amps, it really does have a quality bank of products to choose from. It just doesn't seem to be much of a company lately. Maybe just supply chain log jams.

Back