6L6's in VH4? Compliments The Tone?

ajharris1215

Didn't VH4's come with 6L6's (optional/salwender) at one time? Was the amp designed around 6L6's, or EL34's? Which 6L6's sound good in the VH4 (JJ, Sovtek, SED, Etc.)? Peter, any input from you on this would be awesome

I've tried many different types of tubes in my '06 VH4... KT88, KT77, EL34, 6L6. Several different manufacturers.

I'm currently running JJ 6l6's. JJ KT77's sounded nice. The SED EL34's were alright. I found the stock Ruby EL34's a bit harsh, but that's personal preference. I like a pure tone. Not so many "pissed off bees". I also play VERY loud, which tends to bring out harshness. Also, the VH4 has a compressed tone, which I try to reduce as much as I can.

For the VH4, I've found that 6L6's seem to compliment it's tone.

The JJ 6L6's are cool, but I'm betting there may be even better sounding 6L6's from other manufactuers. Does anyone have experience/ideas on the best 6L6's to go in a VH4?

thanks... regards,
adam harris

I have experienced these power tubes with my VH4.

- JJ KT77: OK, but rather unclear. Powerful, but did not have any "growl" in them. Sucked for lead work.

- JJ EL34: OK, but missing something, at least in VH4. Did not have any edge in the sound. Not aggressive enough.

- Ruby EL34: Nice and harmonic. "Sizzless" and "whisless" a bit. Very aggressive sounding, even biting. Suck on the clean channel in my opinion (I prefer 6L6, etc. for clean sound).

-TAD EL34: similar to Ruby stuff.

- SED =C= 6550: Kick seriously ass in other amps than VH4. I might try these again or maybe not.

- SED =C= KT88: Round sounding. über deeb bass thumb. A bit too powerful if wanting to crank your amp. No possibility of power tube distortion. 8-string sounded nice, a bit bass like. Exploded in my amp and broke the humm trimmer - Well, this can happen with any tube. Should be really reliable tubes, but cannot really comment.

- Genalex (re-production) Gold Lion KT88: Much duller and softer sounding than SED KT88. Might even say lifeless. Won't put them again in my guitar amp. --> moved back to "weaker" tubes.

- 6CA7 EH (Currently using these:) Nice and powerful. Sort of a mix between EL34 and 6L6. Clean sounds way better than with i.e. JJ KT77 or Ruby EL34. Rather deep bass, but not to the extreme of KT88s. A bit darker sounding than e.g. TAD EL34 so may not be the clearest option available. Really good for creamier, sustained lead sounds. So far as reliable as tubes can be (3 moths weekly usage volume around 11.00 and "normal/average" bias).

I guess this did not help You at all, but maybe someone else might be interested about my comments - Sorry.

Also, I did not really feel like writing a novel about individual tubes, thus I used more like descriptions used for analyzing wines.

i.ak":w4jf61ne said:
I have experienced these power tubes with my VH4.

- JJ KT77: OK, but rather unclear. Powerful, but did not have any "growl" in them. Sucked for lead work.

- JJ EL34: OK, but missing something, at least in VH4. Did not have any edge in the sound. Not aggressive enough.

- Ruby EL34: Nice and harmonic. "Sizzless" and "whisless" a bit. Very aggressive sounding, even biting. Suck on the clean channel in my opinion (I prefer 6L6, etc. for clean sound).

-TAD EL34: similar to Ruby stuff.

- SED =C= 6550: Kick seriously ass in other amps than VH4. I might try these again or maybe not.

- SED =C= KT88: Round sounding. über deeb bass thumb. A bit too powerful if wanting to crank your amp. No possibility of power tube distortion. 8-string sounded nice, a bit bass like. Exploded in my amp and broke the humm trimmer - Well, this can happen with any tube. Should be really reliable tubes, but cannot really comment.

- Genalex (re-production) Gold Lion KT88: Much duller and softer sounding than SED KT88. Might even say lifeless. Won't put them again in my guitar amp. --> moved back to "weaker" tubes.

- 6CA7 EH (Currently using these:) Nice and powerful. Sort of a mix between EL34 and 6L6. Clean sounds way better than with i.e. JJ KT77 or Ruby EL34. Rather deep bass, but not to the extreme of KT88s. A bit darker sounding than e.g. TAD EL34 so may not be the clearest option available. Really good for creamier, sustained lead sounds. So far as reliable as tubes can be (3 moths weekly usage volume around 11.00 and "normal/average" bias).

I guess this did not help You at all, but maybe someone else might be interested about my comments - Sorry.

Also, I did not really feel like writing a novel about individual tubes, thus I used more like descriptions used for analyzing wines.

Thanks for the input... yeah, i was curious about different 6L6's. i appreciate the info though. i've heard good things about those SED KT88's (for other amps). i think they'll be the next quad to go in my sunn model T.

Back