6L6's or EL-34's in Boogie Rectifiers ?

6L6's or EL-34's in Rectifiers ?

• 6L6

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • EL-34

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
This is the only way I run my rectifier. Orange Modern is so much thicker than the red channel. I personally only run Mesa 425 STRs, green label. Steve K turned me on to them many moons ago and I haven't looked back.

Yes yes yes... and more yes....

Orange modern is the way... period... no reason to fight on this one, it’s the best. I don’t remember the last time I was on red modern on my rev F.

With Recto's volume matters far more then power tube type.
Also the bias is cold as ice, so f'n turn them up.
It also depends on which 6L6 and which 34 we're talking here.
Plenty of loose 34's.
So once turned the hell up, it won't matter one f'n bit what tube or type as long as those tubes are strong and hold together.
I used to rock 6L6's on the outside and 34's in the middle.
But in the end, it doesn't matter.
Especially not being able to bias the amp.

I did a test at our studio long time ago between 34s,6l6s and kt77s. Winner was kt77. Best of everything. That was a Rev. C. so obviously later revs will sound different. 6l6s were very close.

Depends on what Revision but if you want it tight, Get a good pair of 34's I have tads in my Latest model Triple and it grinds and tightens it up. I have and early one in serial number #120's that 6l6 just sounds better.

With Recto's volume matters far more then power tube type.
Also the bias is cold as ice, so f'n turn them up.
It also depends on which 6L6 and which 34 we're talking here.
Plenty of loose 34's.
So once turned the hell up, it won't matter one f'n bit what tube or type as long as those tubes are strong and hold together.
I used to rock 6L6's on the outside and 34's in the middle.
But in the end, it doesn't matter.
Especially not being able to bias the amp.

What is everyone’s fascination with biasing these amps hotter? It literally makes everything we hate about these amps worse. Same thing with the god awful sounding biased hot 5150s. Colder bias keeps these amps tighter, hold together better at higher volumes, more aggressive, and less sloppy. I wonder how many people have actually had these types of amps biased hotter or if they just repeat what they hear on the internet, because every time I hear one of these hot, it sounds god awful. Especially the 5150s

What is everyone’s fascination with biasing these amps hotter? It literally makes everything we hate about these amps worse. Same thing with the god awful sounding biased hot 5150s. Colder bias keeps these amps tighter, hold together better at higher volumes, more aggressive, and less sloppy. I wonder how many people have actually had these types of amps biased hotter or if they just repeat what they hear on the internet, because every time I hear one of these hot, it sounds god awful. Especially the 5150s
In general with a lot of amps you can bias 25 - 40 range. I usually prefer on the cooler side with all amps because you get a better dynamic range and punch. If you play at very low volumes a bit warmer can be useful. My guess is a lot of them are using the amp at very low volume.
These amps are not designed for low volume. It's like having a Ferrari and never going above 5 miles a hour.

I tried EL 34s when I had my Dual Recto Mulit-Watt and found I preferred 6L6. Just seemed to fit the amp and sound better.

Back