A battle of the Larrys

FYI, I fully admit I make the worst clips out there. It is what it is. I’m just not good at, nor do I have the energy to go balls to the wall with all the recording trickery to make an amp sound perfect. I think in some ways it’s a disservice to do it. That 802 is a great amp. But the demo I heard of it before makes the amp sound even better than it actually is in the room. I’m NOT knocking anyone or the amp, AT ALL. No offense to anyone. It’s a killer sounding amp, as is my 822.

Here’s a clip of the Hellion with the T75’s. I agree that a 57 doesn’t capture the essence in the room. The Hellion is noticeably tighter than the 802 or 822 and has a much bigger low end. I don’t think this is captured in the clip at all. You can hear though that the low mids are not as pronounced as the Dinos. This doesn’t mean my amp is better or worse, just different. There is no better, just preferences that are totally subjective.

I don’t post this to say my amp is better or worse. But your post got me thinking it would interesting to do. I could probably tweak the Hellion to be closer to the Larry, but it’s not a Larry so not really any point. I actually dig the T75’s with this amp.

This is all the same setup as I used to record the Dinos. I didn’t even move the mic.

Also, excuse the logo. I threw a bare CNC aluminum one on. But I like the black version better.

WOW! sounds killer brother.

The clips sound decent. I can tell the amps deliver, I just wish the speakers weren't G12T-75s and I also would prefer to hear a recording with something simple like a room mic or an iPhone. I know... blasphemy. But honestly... that helps me hear what amp actually sounds like better than close mic'ing the cone, which makes the vast majority of amps sound the same. They all sound like putting your ear directly up against a speaker. Nothing but static and highs.

I would love an off-axis iPhone clip of one of these amps through some G12H-75s or G12M-65s. Same with Wizards.

I don't even want to know what a Russian Caterpillar is

Obviously, it eats the shit out of your ass, as toilet paper can be sometimes hard to find in Russia.

That reminds me of this cold war era joke I've always liked:

An American and a Russian die and go to Hell.
They are met at the gates by Satan, who offers them a choice: They can either go to American Hell or Russian Hell.

Both new arrivals are curious as to what the difference is, so Satan explains that in American Hell you are free to do whatever you want; you'll find that we have all the finest amenities here in Hell, whatever your heart desires, you can find it here! However, you have to eat a shovel-full of Shit each morning, but then you're free to do whatever you'd like.

Russian Hell is exactly the same, but you have to eat TWO shovels full of Shit before your start your day.

The American is quick to choose American Hell, but is flabbergasted when the Russian chooses to go to Russian Hell.

Several eons later the American bumps into the Russian and says "My Russian friend, Hell wasn't what I thought at all! Every day I play a round of golf on a championship golf course. I hang out with my friends at an amazing social club until late in the afternoon. The brothel I go to has the most beautiful women I've ever seen. Every night I have an incredible steak dinner at a Michelin Star restaurant. I honestly don't mind eating the shovel-full of shit in the morning anymore. One thing has bothered me all this time though, why did you choose to go to Russian Hell? What a mistake!

The Russian replies: "It was you who make mistake Comrade. I get to do all the same things as you do in American Hell. But you see, In Russian Hell, half the time there is no Shovel, and the other half, there is no Shit."

Last edited:
I got shitty iPhone videos in spades on my YouTube channel. 😂

This one is Wizard first then Hellion (v1) through a Wizard cab with Redbacks/Creamback H75s

Nice. That gives me a better idea for how an amp actually sounds. I like the second amp in that clip more. The first one (Wizard?) has too much high-end treble (fizz) for my taste. But could just be a simple EQ tweak. Maybe too much presence. Both have some serious aggression though lol. I tend to EQ amps much darker. Run the mids super high, treble and presence low.

Thanks for that clip! Both amps are pretty angry haha

Why should I explain something to you that you wouldn't understand anyway because you have no idea of the meticulousness and accuracy that I put into building my amps?

A workload that in your naivety and ignorance you would estimate to be perhaps 40 hours is in reality 120 hours (British Purist) or even 180 hours (Dino 962).

Has your jaw dropped to your breastbone now?
And why should I work like a horse when I haven't needed to work to earn money for almost two decades and am just doing it for the fun of my hobby?

How do you know how many orders are on my waiting list and how many amps I build in total each year?

Maybe you should take your crystal ball back to customer service because it's obviously malfunctioning?

And if my waiting time actually increases to seven years at some point and the customers accept this, then it is their decision and not your problem.
Why are you worrying about other people's affairs when you're not on my waiting list and you certainly have a lot of problems of your own that you should address instead of criticizing other people's affairs?

Is this perhaps what is a well-known phenomenon among German psychologists - namely:

'If I'm overwhelmed by my own garden, I'd rather water my neighbor's flowers'
You could hire an intern that wants to learn to mount pots, jacks, transformers, tube sockets, etc and you could do all the hard stuff. Of course the intern would steal your designs from you so that might be a problem.

That Marshall chassis build he did with the 6 power tubes has been whispering to me in the dark places of my mind. It also doesn’t help that my buddy has one and another buddy is getting the flagship model soon.

Nice. That gives me a better idea for how an amp actually sounds. I like the second amp in that clip more. The first one (Wizard?) has too much high-end treble (fizz) for my taste. But could just be a simple EQ tweak. Maybe too much presence. Both have some serious aggression though lol. I tend to EQ amps much darker. Run the mids super high, treble and presence low.

Thanks for that clip! Both amps are pretty angry haha

Yes. The wizard was first. I tend to dial it very bright with the presence, treble and bright up high. It can be dialed back a lot. Wizards have a punch like no other.

I thought the story was Mike bought and paid for an amp and reverse engineered it ?
2 amps
A Dino 939 delivered 07/2007 and a British Purist delivered 05/2008
10/2008 he officially announced that he has opened an amp company

2 amps
A Dino 939 delivered 07/2007 and a British Purist delivered 05/2008
10/2008 he officially announced that he has opened an amp company
You’re a conspiratorial idiot. He had a working prototype for his own amp line up and running by 2005. I played it. All his subsequent amps sounded similar to that one and absolutely nothing like yours. All MF ever did to you was inadvertently generate sales FOR you. Several sales at that and all a trickle down effect from me. Without MF, I never would have bought two, Disfigured two, KW one, etc. None of us like Iced Earth whatsoever lol. But you’re too stubborn to admit it.

Back