A HUGE band you saw before they broke?

Dave Chappelle. Small neighborhood comedy place. The next year or so...BOOM. no, not a band, but it was very small time right before he hit it big. Funny as hell! Great thread
Dave lives down the road from me and in 10 years, I still haven't run into him. My friends have seen him at various places but everyone just says "hi" and let's him be.

My one friend introduced his son to him at this gym and his son asked for an autograph. He spelled his name Chris differently, wirh a "K", and when he tried to correct him, Dave said "Well today, it's Chris eith a K mother F****er". Lol. Typical Dave.

My other friend played a show and Dave invited him and the band back to his house to hang out.

A sidenote, not a "before they were big story" but Tupac Shakur ran into me shoulder first outside the Hard Rock in Honolulu when I had my back turned. My friend and I recognized him but nobody else did. I waited by his rental car and he walked right up to me. Signed my parking pass and was taking pictures with people. He was really nice. Within a year he was dead.

I thought the word "HUGE" is in the thread title. I haven't heard of most of the bands mentioned here. Some, yes, but many were never remotely huge.

Ok, before Kevin Eubanks was on the Tonight Show, I saw him do a jazz clinic at my college. He was too shy to speak. It was really awkward to watch. He sat on the edge of the stage and played Yngwie-like speed, but jazz and only picked with his thumb and middle finger. It was unreal. He never played anything like that once he got on the Tonight Show. And he seemed to love to chat when on TV, but not in front of a bunch of college-age guitar players.

Pantera on CFH tour
Slayer on Hell Awaits tour
Kreator on Pleasure to Kill tour
Machine Head on Burn My Eyes tour
VoiVod on RRROOOAAARRR tour
Disturbed when they were local, called Brawl and did covers
Exodus on Bonded by Blood tour
Testament on The Legacy tour
Death on Leprosy tour
Deicide on S/T tour
Malevolent Creation on Retribution tour
Coroner on Punishment for Decadence tour
TJ Helmrich in local band Premonition
Joel Hoekstra in numerous local bands, and he sang in a thrash band I was in called Fear Itself
Sounds like we grew up in the same area... I've never seen anyone mention Premonition online before. Not only did I see them a bunch of times (I knew all those guys), but I joined TJ's (Todd) & Bill's previous band Extacy right after they quit (Bill formed Premonition with his brother, Todd started The Law). Both of their bands were really good! And Dan from Disturbed played in my band (UZI) for a few months also, well before Disturbed of course. Small world.. :thumbsup:

Sounds like we grew up in the same area... I've never seen anyone mention Premonition online before. Not only did I see them a bunch of times (I knew all those guys), but I joined TJ's (Todd) & Bill's previous band Extacy right after they quit (Bill formed Premonition with his brother, Todd started The Law). Both of their bands were really good! And Dan from Disturbed played in my band (UZI) for a few months also, well before Disturbed of course. Small world.. :thumbsup:
Ha, small world is right! I grew up in Worth, you from Orland? TJ used to give Joel Hoekstra guitar lessons, and got him into the 8 finger technique. I remember Extacy and Uzi. I probably saw you guys at The Whale. Lol
I used to jam with Mike Flaherty, who was in Loudmouth with Donegan. Dan was always a cool guy.

In '89, right after I got out of the Army I joined a band in Mpls. Our drummer's girlfriend was a DJ at a now defunct Mpls HR radio station. She told us of a cool club in St Paul that we could probably book without using an agent. So one night we decided to go scope it out. It was more of a restaurant than a rock club...but when the band started we were blown away...KingsX, a 3 pc with 3 part harmonies on every song. Apparently Gretchen had just come out and they were playing the whole album from start to finish. We hadn't heard of them. Neither had anyone else at that point. There were maybe 100 people there, no promo or support from the label as we chatted with Ty and Jerry after the show....
One of my favorite bands and I would go see them another 6 times over the years.

Saw this documentry called Hype about Seattle. Showed the big 5 but in between they showed alot that didnt get signed. It was estimated at some crazy number of bands a 1000? Some band that were all chicks saying they drew a bigger crowd than AIC PJ etc. Crazy huh. I said it before if a band can get national radio play thats 3/4 of the battle. Music is hypnotic or it used to be.

That is beyond beautiful! It just warms my heart to hear that. We need more "peace, love, and understanding" in today's world. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
I was at that show ! We were standing in line waiting to get in and two dudes BEAT THE FUCK out of two other dudes in the parking lot. One guy was sitting on another guy and slamming his head into the pavement, never seen anything like it.

I was outside of a rage against the machine show in line, in San Diego around 93. There were surfer gangs from ocean beach and pacific beach and they battled over territory and waves. We watched as a few ocean beach gang members straight murdered a gang member from the pacific beach gang. It was absolutely sickening. My young teenage mind found it shocking and abhorrent, all over a silly territorial dispute for waves and weed dealing.

Ha, small world is right! I grew up in Worth, you from Orland? TJ used to give Joel Hoekstra guitar lessons, and got him into the 8 finger technique. I remember Extacy and Uzi. I probably saw you guys at The Whale. Lol
I used to jam with Mike Flaherty, who was in Loudmouth with Donegan. Dan was always a cool guy.
My last few years there I lived in Worth actually, on Southwest Hwy.... but I grew up in Palos and hung out with those Orland guys a lot. And yes, Dan was a really nice guy. Speaking of Loudmouth... Bobby Feddersen was in UZI for a lil while too. :LOL: I guess we chalk up coincidental meeting like this to good reasons not to be a d*ck to people in the music scene. You never know who you'll meet when...

I was outside of a rage against the machine show in line, in San Diego around 93. There were surfer gangs from ocean beach and pacific beach and they battled over territory and waves. We watched as a few ocean beach gang members straight murdered a gang member from the pacific beach gang. It was absolutely sickening. My young teenage mind found it shocking and abhorrent, all over a silly territorial dispute for waves and weed dealing.
E39EE3B8-F348-4E3A-99C9-C28240C64668.jpeg

Back