A little old Charvel love....A guitar with some history

Scuba200ft

This is my 1986 Charvel "sunrise" tele....Restrung and played it today,snapped some new pics. Originally owned by Tom Mcdermott from Rick James' band. I purchased it back in 04' from the owner.

Tom was/is a monster player.

Just a little interesting thing to note. It has a Jackson logo on the headstock, as he was a Jackson endorser during those days, but its all Charvel, neckplate, markings etc..screaming hot pickup, and the perfect 80's Charvel neck shape. Unique in Charvel land...Single-single. Fixed tele bridge...etc...

Very hard to photograph, but so cool in person. Supah freak...Wish it could talk!

_MG_6093.jpg

_MG_6092.jpg

_MG_6084.jpg

_MG_6087.jpg

_MG_6086.jpg

_MG_6094.jpg

_MG_6090.jpg

Tom is on the left...Not too shabby campany...

Charvel_Jackson.jpg

Charvel_Answers.jpg

0 - Steve Lynch (Autograph)
1 - Spacey T. (Sound Barrier, Fishbone)
2 - Michael Sweet (Stryper)
3 - Chris Hager (Rough Cutt)
4 - Jake E. Lee (Ozzy Osbourne)
5 - Matt Thorne (Rough Cutt bassist)
6 - Vinnie Vincent (KISS)
7 - Marc Ferrari (Keel, Cold Sweat, Medicine Wheel)
8 - Amir Derakh (Orgy, Rough Cutt)
9 - Tom McDermott (Rick James)
10 - Victor Johnson (Busboys and later, Total Eclipse with Spacey T)
11 - David Anderson (Eric Steel Band)
12 - Bryan Jay (Keel)
13 - Steve Vai (Alcatrazz, DL Roth)
14 - Oz Fox (Stryper)

I thought you sold that one...love that guitar. The intonation looks a little wonky...was it set up when the pics were taken?

Scuba200ft":2i2479hv said:
This is my 1986 Charvel "sunrise" tele....Restrung and played it today,snapped some new pics. Originally owned by Tom Mcdermott from Rick James' band. I purchased it back in 04' from the owner.

Just a little interesting thing to note. It has a Jackson logo on the headstock, as he was a Jackson endorser during those days, but its all Charvel, neckplate, markings etc..screaming hot pickup, and the perfect 80's Charvel neck shape. Unique in Charvel land...Single-single. Fixed tele bridge...etc...

Very hard to photograph, but so cool in person. Supah freak...Wish it could talk!

Charvel_Jackson.jpg

Every single head looks photoshopped! But a sweet guitar!! How does it sound on heavier stuff?

rupe":3cfoe0i6 said:
I thought you sold that one...love that guitar. The intonation looks a little wonky...was it set up when the pics were taken?

Hey Rupe,

No, I did the setup yesterday. Perfect.

What looks wonky? You calling me wonky?

Meet behind school at 3:00.

LoL

fek":3r987fyw said:
Vai has the douchebag derp look on his face. Nice tele by the way.

I thought the same thing (about vai). Stryper dude up front looks like his head is photoshopped in or something. Looks BIG and popping out of the screen. :LOL: :LOL: and to the OP...nice guitar :rock:

Never thought about it. I'll bet some are "photoshopped". Wonder what they called it in 84"?

Its a great guitar. I'll have to start getting some pics of of some of these.

Scuba200ft":4i4ycixq said:
Never thought about it. I'll bet some are "photoshopped". Wonder what they called it in 84"?

Its a great guitar. I'll have to start getting some pics of of some of these.
Superimposing, I believe.

Very cool guitar!

Thanks! Its a great one for sure...A couple of my other Charvel teles..for good measure.

My favorite..

IMG_4730.jpg

And another old one..replaced neck with another old neck. It got snapped in shipping...

f7aaf122.jpg

I'm jealous. I've been thinking about picking up a tele of some sort, but would love the playability of a good Charvel neck. The one in the OP looks about perfect. I love the rear route on the body for teles.

I've got some old Charvels: real deals, and part'o'mutts, but all are more standard super strats.

ke2":39ji9xp4 said:
Scuba200ft":39ji9xp4 said:

Charvel_Jackson.jpg

Every single head looks photoshopped! But a sweet guitar!! How does it sound on heavier stuff?
I
Cool necro.
That poster brings back such memories....? It lived on one wall or another till the mid 90's. Michael Sweets head does look a tad freakish but I think it's just the bow tie obscuring the neck. But why is it B&W and not B&Yellow......Stryker didn't move away from the B&Y look until 89ish..or so. Perhaps there is a conspiracy. :thumbsup:

Photoshop wasn't invented till'88 But the digital tools before PS were not available for advertising level projects..for the most part. So photo manipulation was purely a matter of hands on techniques.
1. Cut out head(resized to fit) place over original photo
head...take new photo of collage.
2. Use paint and inks to disguise any discrepancy on new print.
3. Take new photo and add any dodge or burn darkroom techniques to finalize.
4. Again take new photo so you have finalized negative....

Destroy evidence so everyone thinks we went to the moon :doh: :doh: :confused:

I learned to do all those techniques before I switched to computers in the late 80's.

Back