A Strat Made for War ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter psychic_driver
  • Start date Start date
psychic_driver

psychic_driver

Active member
What's the nastiest, most crushing metal tone you've ever gotten out of a strat ?

Post pics of the guitar/amp rig if you got em !

Played a fuckin fantastic black squier strat at my local music store earlier today. Extremely comfortable under the hands, very resonant guitar. Made in Korea stamped on the neck joint, mild abuse from a previous owner, $200 price tag ...
 
What's the nastiest, most crushing metal tone you've ever gotten out of a strat ?

Post pics of the guitar/amp rig if you got em !

Played a fuckin fantastic black squier strat at my local music store earlier today. Extremely comfortable under the hands, very resonant guitar. Made in Korea stamped on the neck joint, mild abuse from a previous owner, $200 price tag ...
I have always gotten wicked metal and shred tones out of strats. My old US strat (wish I never sold) absolutely shredded! Same mistake made with a MIJ strat I had when I was younger that I played all sorts of metal on. I just had to have some shitty Ibanez and traded it. Never sounded close to as good.....Oh man you make some dumb mistakes through life.
 
What's the nastiest, most crushing metal tone you've ever gotten out of a strat ?

Post pics of the guitar/amp rig if you got em !

Played a fuckin fantastic black squier strat at my local music store earlier today. Extremely comfortable under the hands, very resonant guitar. Made in Korea stamped on the neck joint, mild abuse from a previous owner, $200 price tag ...
I hope you bought it.
 
DSC_0005.jpeg
 
What's the nastiest, most crushing metal tone you've ever gotten out of a strat ?

Post pics of the guitar/amp rig if you got em !

Played a fuckin fantastic black squier strat at my local music store earlier today. Extremely comfortable under the hands, very resonant guitar. Made in Korea stamped on the neck joint, mild abuse from a previous owner, $200 price tag ...

I realized long ago I prefer single coils to humbuckers for almost all tones from sparkling clean to as heavy as it gets, and it was my Strat that taught me the lesson. Loaded with Gold Lace Sensors it could go from sparkling clean to Metallica, Slayer, and Pantera levels of gain with no problem.

Over time I've switched over to mostly Gibson and Gibson style guitars, but almost all of them are either P90 loaded or I've swapped some combo of a P90, A5 Staple, Dynasonic, and one Gold Foil type into almost all of them. My lone HB loaded guitar (LP Studio) has a TV Jones Supertron in the neck, and a Gibson Tarbucker in the bridge, both of which have a lot of that single coil like attack and clarity.
 
I realized long ago I prefer single coils to humbuckers for almost all tones from sparkling clean to as heavy as it gets, and it was my Strat that taught me the lesson. Loaded with Gold Lace Sensors it could go from sparkling clean to Metallica, Slayer, and Pantera levels of gain with no problem.

Over time I've switched over to mostly Gibson and Gibson style guitars, but almost all of them are either P90 loaded or I've swapped some combo of a P90, A5 Staple, Dynasonic, and one Gold Foil type into almost all of them. My lone HB loaded guitar (LP Studio) has a TV Jones Supertron in the neck, and a Gibson Tarbucker in the bridge, both of which have a lot of that single coil like attack and clarity.
I am interested in experimenting in this realm ... do you look for higher output single coils/P90s for the higher gain applications or is the character of the lower output pickup the thing you are liking in the first place ?
 
I am interested in experimenting in this realm ... do you look for higher output single coils/P90s for the higher gain applications or is the character of the lower output pickup the thing you are liking in the first place ?
Medium to vintage hot single coil dcr in the realm of just under 7-9kish. I tried one high output P90, a BKP Supermassive, and while it was OK I felt it lost a lot of the magic of a good P90 and started sounding too dark and compressed. I love the attack and open character of a good single coil. I get the gain and thickness from cranking the amps master up into a bit of breakup and slamming that with pedals to get where I want.

Tldr; the later.
 
Last edited:
No clips, but this strat does classic metal, Metallica, megadeth, and dream theater pretty easily.

Clapton circuit and hardtail for the win!

Turned up it has enough gain to compete with my emgs. No lie.
But does it chug ??

Clapton circuit seems hella useful for metal ... Never played one myself
 
Medium to vintage hot single coil dcr in the realm of just under 7-9kish. I tried one high output P90, a BKP Supermassive, and while it was OK I felt it lost a lot of the magic of a good P90 and started sounding too dark and compressed. I love the attack and open character of a good single coil. I get the gain and thickness from cranking the amps master up into a bit of breakup and slamming that with pedals to get where I want.

Tldr; the later.
It's hard to beat a regular stock Gibson P90. They don't need replacement.
 
What's the nastiest, most crushing metal tone you've ever gotten out of a strat ?

Post pics of the guitar/amp rig if you got em !

Played a fuckin fantastic black squier strat at my local music store earlier today. Extremely comfortable under the hands, very resonant guitar. Made in Korea stamped on the neck joint, mild abuse from a previous owner, $200 price tag ...
Did you buy it?
 
Clapton circuit sucks balls. my EC didn't come alive until i replaced the TBX with a regular old 500K TP
 

Similar threads

mystixboi
Replies
3
Views
1K
Rex Rocker
Rex Rocker
A
Replies
6
Views
3K
Adam of Angels
A
Back
Top