A tube question

srinivassa

I know this is unfair to leverage amp builders for my personal information, but I decided to be selfish and ask anyway. You may reprove me at will.

I have been toying with an amp of mine (not an Egnater), and I started to wonder. If I want more gain, why can't I just decrease the the value of the 100k resistor that sits atop the anode. It would cause the tube to pull more current and increase the gain of my first triode stage.

It's hard to see why that would hurt. Since it's the 1st stage, it would only be driven by a small current, and would likely produce a not unreasonable anode current, which would improve my overall gain. Also, some tube datasheets (JJ) do cite different combinations of acceptable anode and cathode resistors which produce more or less current.

However, I know it is a bad idea because it is simply not done. 100k has been at the anode of every triode tube I have ever seen in the preamp. With the noteable exception of the phase inverter, which frequently sports an 82k (dating all the way back to the 1959 Plexi).

Is this the kind of thing every amp builder tries and then finds out why it's a bad idea? I think I may be rapidly putting myself into that category. :scared:

You've actually got it backwards. Here is a list of great sources for tube amp technical info.

The Electric Guitar Amplifier Handbook by Jack Darr
This one is a must have for anyone interested in guitar amplifiers.
Out of print for many years. Recently reissued.

Kevin O’Conner from London Power
Kevin has a series of books that can get quite technical. A wealth of information will be found in his books. Highly recommended.

The Tube amp books by Aspen Pitman of Groove Tubes and the books by Gerald Weber of Kendrick Amplifiers.
Both are good sources for general information about many manufacturers of amps. Lots of useful schematics can be found in these books.

Audio Express Magazine
Available at most large book retailers (Borders, Barnes & Noble). Not specifically related to guitar amps but lots of interesting articles about tube audio. A good source for esoteric parts.

Informative Websites:

Aikenamps.com

MesaBoogie.com

Duncanamps.com

AX84.com

<unison classroom voice> Thank You Mr. Egnater </voice>

I think I will make the investment in myself and get The Ultimate Tone Vol 1. It's been a while since college, so I will have learn to swallow text book pricing again. *gulp* This really is the main thing I'm interested in now. I'd like something to read about. The web only takes you so far. Thanks for the recommendation.

Back