Acoustic guitars: Martin D-28 vs Gibson Southern Jumbo

Mr. Willy

Acoustic guys, I need some help. I’m buying a quality acoustic soon. I’ve narrowed it down to a Martin D-28 and a Gibson Southern Jumbo.

The issues are this: I love the Gibson scale and I love the look and more “laid back” sound of the Gibson due to the shorter scale. I’m also concerned about quality from Gibson. I’m not sure if the quality issues are just on the electric side or if there are issues on the acoustic side as well. I know the electrics and acoustics are built in different factories, but I have no idea if the quality control from Montana is better than the quality control coming out of Nashville. That being said, I love the look of the Southern Jumbo and I dig its sound.

Another problem with the Gibson is no one local to me has any that I can play. If I get a SJ, it’ll have to be mail order.

On the other hand, a local guitar store to me (the Fret Shop in Huntsville, AL) is a Martin dealer. They’ve almost always got several on hand. I know that Martin quality is very consistent across the board, so I know I won’t have any issues there. The D-28 isn’t as fancy as the SJ, but good lord does it sound massive. Just big and wide. Reminds me of a mini grand piano. Really in your face sound.

I’m curious for you guys who’ve played both which you went with and why. Also, how’s Gibson’s quality these days on the acoustic side of the house?

You'll end up getting both. lol
Question is "which one first?".
I've got an Advanced Jumbo from 88 first, and not long after a D-28 from 74. That was around 2006, and I still have both of them.
Contrary to what most everyone else say, I'm lucky when it comes down to find great Gibson guitars.
It might worth for you to make a trip to Nashville and hit some stores in the area, so you will probably have quite a few Southern Jumbo to choose from.

Might be worth giving Music Villa in Bozeman, Montana a call. In the past they have had a stellar selection of Gibson acoustics in stock, as the Gibson acoustics are made in Bozeman. A friend of mine has worked at Gibson in Bozeman for about 30 years now, haven't talked to him in awhile though.
If you call Music Villa ask for Paul, he's the owner.

Might be worth giving Music Villa in Bozeman, Montana a call. In the past they have had a stellar selection of Gibson acoustics in stock, as the Gibson acoustics are made in Bozeman. A friend of mine has worked at Gibson in Bozeman for about 30 years now, haven't talked to him in awhile though.
If you call Music Villa ask for Paul, he's the owner.
Good idea here. So you’re saying Gibson’s quality control on their acoustics is good? Do you know if it’s better than their electrics?

You'll end up getting both. lol
Question is "which one first?".
I've got an Advanced Jumbo from 88 first, and not long after a D-28 from 74. That was around 2006, and I still have both of them.
This is exactly what I told my wife! Lol. I told her the best thing would be to have both.

I wouldnt be concerned about quality issues with Gibson acoustics man. I think it's more a matter of voice preference - both have their own distinct sound and vibe. I like em both

To be honest. What matters most is your personal opinion. Both of em guitars have their distinct feel and sound. And they both come in good quality. To be fair, they are both great guitars.

I recently sold my 6 & 12 string 300 series Taylor acoustics. They were what I thought were great guitars, until I played a Gibson. The Gibson's sound and playability are considerably better and quite apparent when played side-by-side. I upgraded the 6 string to an eight hundred series Taylor Bluegrass guitar that plays like an electric guitar.

The best thing to do when buying an acoustic is to sit down in the acoustic guitar room at a guitar shop and play the actual guitar. All acoustics sound different and sometimes two identical guitars sound and play completely mindblowingly different.

It's a shame that people start out playing a junk acoustic guitar. They quit because the guitar is totally unplayable, it should be illegal to sell something that bad. It is the equivalent of calling an old paper towel roll a clarinet.

it's all about sound. never played a gibson acoustic that I liked. Play before buying. Every time I ordered an acoustic it bit me in the ass. If it doesn't give me that AHA moment when I strum a chord then forget it. Was in a local shop years ago and everything sounded like dog shit, then I picked up a cheap martin sigma and BOOM...AHA...sounded fuckin amazing. I would recommend looking around at local luthiers. Lots of good luthiers putting out high end products for less than the major manufacturers. imo....

it's all about sound. never played a gibson acoustic that I liked. Play before buying. Every time I ordered an acoustic it bit me in the ass. If it doesn't give me that AHA moment when I strum a chord then forget it. Was in a local shop years ago and everything sounded like dog shit, then I picked up a cheap martin sigma and BOOM...AHA...sounded fuckin amazing. I would recommend looking around at local luthiers. Lots of good luthiers putting out high end products for less than the major manufacturers. imo....
This is why I’m having such a dilemma. All
My better judgement tells me I can’t buy an acoustic guitar I haven’t put my hands on and played in person. Even if I can’t get the exact model I want, I know it’s a crap shoot when ordering a guitar online. There is a local luthier in Huntsville (Danny Davis Guitars). I’ve played some of his guitars. They’re very nice.
https://www.dannydavisguitars.com/

prime example....I ordered a high dollar guild from musicians friend...usually every guild I ever played was nice. Received the guitar and it was dead. Changed strings and same thing....dead. I would not do it. imo..

Very wise words. With acoustics, all bets are off. I don't give a shit what it says on the headstock, or what it costs. I would almost even rather try out acoustics blind. It's 100% tone and feel...far more drastic variances in quality and tone with the same models over electrics!!!

Very wise words. With acoustics, all bets are off. I don't give a shit what it says on the headstock, or what it costs. I would almost even rather try out acoustics blind. It's 100% tone and feel...far more drastic variances in quality and tone with the same models over electrics!!!
I’m much less wary to buy an electric online than an acoustic for the very reasons you mentioned. It’s much easier to work with the tone of an electric by swamping parts out than it is with an acoustic.

You guys have helped me make up my mind. I just don’t think I can go the route of ordering an acoustic online. I know most places have a return policy, but I don’t want to go through the hassle of shipping a guitar back if I don’t have to. Man, I really, really miss the old mom and pop music stores days. All this cheap imported crap isn’t worth what we lost, imho.

Back