After 4 months, heard my 20th XTC for the first time tonight

TheMagicEight

Yeah, the JJ EL34s are useless.

After ordering from AmplifiedParts.com, I received a discount on my next purchase. Decided to try =C=s again after using other tubes for a while. Damn they sound good! Gibson R9 --> WCR Godwood --> Bogner XTC 20th / Red Channel / 3:00 MV --> Bogner full stack --> Scumback M75s = BEST TONE I'VE EVER HAD.

And now for the good part. I'm in the studio and will provide some mind blowing clips!

TheMagicEight":gr2fmmv5 said:

After ordering from AmplifiedParts.com, I received a discount on my next purchase. Decided to try =C=s again after using other tubes for a while. Damn they sound good! Gibson R9 --> WCR Godwood --> Bogner XTC 20th / Red Channel / 3:00 MV --> Bogner full stack --> Scumback M75s = BEST TONE I'VE EVER HAD.

And now for the good part. I'm in the studio and will provide some mind blowing clips!
HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V.

Cool. I have a set of =C= I've been meaning to try. Not much of a JJ fan either. I sorta figured 4 Scumback M75's would be a bit too smooth with the XTC, but you don't seem to find this?

TheMagicEight":irunooh2 said:

After ordering from AmplifiedParts.com, I received a discount on my next purchase. Decided to try =C=s again after using other tubes for a while. Damn they sound good!
Told Ya TME that =C='s are the way to go :). Glad You finally saw it for Yourself ;D

Regards, Andy :)

Setneck":5e2v8pxs said:
TheMagicEight":5e2v8pxs said:

After ordering from AmplifiedParts.com, I received a discount on my next purchase. Decided to try =C=s again after using other tubes for a while. Damn they sound good!
Told Ya TME that =C='s are the way to go :). Glad You finally saw it for Yourself ;D

Regards, Andy :)
Any love for the Gold Lion KT77s...?? Pretty dazzling glass IMHO :yes:

Glad you're loving the =C='s, CLIPS!!!
V.

se7en":3nritjk3 said:
Cool. I have a set of =C= I've been meaning to try. Not much of a JJ fan either. I sorta figured 4 Scumback M75's would be a bit too smooth with the XTC, but you don't seem to find this?
Try 8 M75s!

The M75s might not be the best choice at lower volumes, as I find the Ecstasy to be a bit dark and somewhat muffled until the MV goes up a bit. In the studio, I run the blue channel a little ways into power tube saturation and the red channel right on the brink. I jammed for a bit on it after I finished recording like this, and it's been one of the most satisfying experiences on guitar I've had! The amp is ridiculously loud! Even with musician's earplugs in that cut 25dB it was cranking! Too smooth though? Not at all. Not at that setting. I'm looking forward to my M75s aging a bit; can't wait until they're nice and soft.

The thing I'm finding, though, is that I've never heard a single 4x12 sound good with a cranked 100w head. Before I got the second quad of M75s, I would turn up past a certain point and become disappointed at how spitty and harsh the speakers sounded. 50w was excellent, but not 100. Anyway, I've decided that I'll either be running 50w heads with a half stack, or be carrying around a full stack.

The other thing I've realized is that - in general - I've never heard a high power speaker sound better than a low power one. The 65w M75s are some of the best speakers on the market; there's no denying that. But the 25 watters - with enough of them - are better. My 65w M75s are older, too, and unlike the 25w M75s that I got a few weeks ago, came with a full break in. But I took identical Bogner 4x12s (the difference being 25 vs 65w M75s) to practice, and my bandmates and I preferred the 25 watters hands down.

Anyway, I'm hoping to have clips up at some point. I don't know if it's my best recorded tone (again, new speakers, vs old 6402 G12Ms well broken in from the 90s....shouldn't have sold), but by far, the way this setup sounds in the room is the best I've ever had.

:rock: :rock:

Nico":ualo8ogk said:
I saw you had the amp for sale, what are you getting?

Nico.
Custom build(s). I've wanted Alice in Chains Facelift type tones for years. The Bogner is incredible, but won't do that. So, I'm just going to build my own amp and swap out parts until I have what I want. How hard can it be?

I haven't tried JJs. Just gone with the regular =C= tubes in my Classic and LOVE the way it sounds. But I've got a friend who tried the =C= tubes in this 101B and he ended-up preferring the JJs. Go figure...

Back