Agile Guitar, Tips?

srinivassa

Any purchasers of Agile guitars have advice?

I have heard good things.

Also have heard that you might have to be aggressive with returns.

Mostly heard that the finishes aren't always what they should be. I'm primarily buying an Agile guitar for the finish. I'd like it to play reasonably well, of course. But why Agile over Epiphone? It's just the finish.

I'm not a master or a picky guitar player. I can make setup adjustments on my own to suit most of my needs. I can pretty much handle setup and electronics. I don't want to get into playing surface problems. (bad frets, neck twist, misaligned tailpiece, etc.)

Having an LP style guitar with a quilt purple finish is my long time fantasy guitar. I just don't want it to become a nightmare. Would really appreciate anyone's good or bad experiences with Agile guitars!

"Nightmare" is when you plunk $4K down on an LP with "issues" and get stuck with them. ;)

I'm sure you'll be fine. I've owned a LOT of imports and the vast majority were more than WELL worth the little money I paid for them. You takes your chances, but you even do that to an extent with higher-priced guitars.

I've had three Agiles...enjoyed them all, eventually sold two of them, but have kept my Agile Strat. I love it to death, however; I did convert to a Warmoth neck - as I didn't like the small frets on the Agile neck. Overall, they are fine guitars for the money (from my experience).

They do advertise some BEAUTIFUL finishes... First thing I heard that the finish might not be how they picture it. Can anyone else confirm or deny that there might be finish issues?

Well, it's true that it won't be a 'nightmare.' I'm only spending about $420 on the guitar. I have heard that you can get the most beautiful finish in the world, or you can get something that's not even close. Hence, the advice I've been given to be aggressive with returns. I'm not really comfortable with that, but if not for the finish, there is really no point in getting this guitar at all.

srinivassa":d5ml4p5h said:
Well, it's true that it won't be a 'nightmare.' I'm only spending about $420 on the guitar. I have heard that you can get the most beautiful finish in the world, or you can get something that's not even close. Hence, the advice I've been given to be aggressive with returns. I'm not really comfortable with that, but if not for the finish, there is really no point in getting this guitar at all.

I had a sunburst explorer and the finish was beautiful. Also have the strat. I'll try and post a picture tonight. Looks very fine to me.

I've got a 3000 series LP. Nice guitar with an ebony neck. I don't think you'll have any issues with the 300/3100 series or higher. Even the lower ones look pretty good and the prices are great.

Order one through Rondo music and if you want to send it back, there won't be any issue. Great customer service.

Great guitars. I have a PS-900 and my brother has 3 of their AL's. Not a single problem with any of them. The higher end stuff beats Epiphone IMO.

my strat.

Attachments

• SANY0209.jpg
    SANY0209.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 1,099
Okay, that Strat looks pretty fuckin' nice. Glad to hear positive reviews so far. Also appreciate good customer service from rondomusic.com. That was where I was planning on ordering it from. And yeah, it's an AL-3100, so it's a 'high end' Agile.

Thanks.

I have the AL-3100 in Black. It is great. Was the main guitar until I got my Explorer. I have never noticed anything wrong with the finish or fret work. It has been a great guitar. I got mine on special for like $295. Best guitar I have ever seen, played, or heard for that kind of money.

madrigal77":3cuwebpe said:
Great guitars. I have a PS-900 and my brother has 3 of their AL's. Not a single problem with any of them. The higher end stuff beats Epiphone IMO.

The one in your avatar? I've been gassing HARD for those old PS' Agiles. If that had a maple fretboard you would be getting PMs/Offers from me NON STOP :D Post some pics of it please

vultures":31y3m2ii said:
madrigal77":31y3m2ii said:

The one in your avatar? I've been gassing HARD for those old PS' Agiles. If that had a maple fretboard you would be getting PMs/Offers from me NON STOP :D Post some pics of it please
That's the one. LOL, I would have traded for your Explorer ;). Here are some old pics. I've made some major upgrades to it: Tonepros locking TOM, Locking Gorvers, Graphtec nut, "ebonized" the fretboard, and EMG's (it has Backouts in the pics, but I've since swapped them for the EMG's). It's a killer guitar. The neck on it is pretty fat, but I'm used to it now.

1000717n.jpg

1001479b.jpg

1001485w.jpg

1001491u.jpg

1001506z.jpg

Agile is good about returns if the guitar is defected cosmetically, but you have to stay on top of it. I never had to return anything, so this is all second hand from what I've seen from friends and online. I owned a baritone LP for awhile, and would definitely buy another Agile. I was looking at something else awhile ago. There's not really a better company out there for the price range.

I like mine thus far. I had some issues keeping it in tune using the trem at first. The trem doesn't work as well as my bigsby but I'm not surprised. Went up to .10 flat wounds and used graphite in the nut and haven't had any issues since.

a34a1ab6.jpg

I have a 3100 and love it. looks, plays, and sounds great.

summer10144.jpg

summer10143.jpg

This is the 1st Agile I've bought so I can't comment on returns.

Back