Amp recommendations synergy syn30 or fireball 25

jinch0

I'm looking at engl fireball 25 or go synergy syn 30 with the ubershall module. I'll be using a mesa 1x12 widebody cab with c90 speaker.
Thanks for the help

I’m a huge fan of these little fireballs . Just killer . I actually love it for practice and recording solos .

I'm looking at engl fireball 25 or go synergy syn 30 with the ubershall module. I'll be using a mesa 1x12 widebody cab with c90 speaker.
Thanks for the help
What amp do you have now? If it has a series loop, you could go with a SYN-1 or SYN-2 into the loop with an Uberschall module. I run a SYN-2 in 4CM with a TC-50 combo + a closed back Mesa 1x12 widebody, love it. Used SYN-1 & 1 module would run about $700-800, opens door for other modules (a blessing and a curse), can use it later with Fireball 25 & other modules.

I love the Syn-30. I'm running the BB/BE module in the combo and that gives me Fender clean, pedal platform clean, and Marshall ++. Just killer sounding. Now, that isn't a chug machine and I'm not the guy to comment on/evaluate that stuff anyway.

I also have the Syn-50 head which is ridiculous. But more $$$.

Thanks for the help
What has you liking the Fireball 25 and Syn 30/Uberschall?
Maybe the Syn 30 with a Poweball or Savage module might cover all aspects.

What amp do you have now? If it has a series loop, you could go with a SYN-1 or SYN-2 into the loop with an Uberschall module. I run a SYN-2 in 4CM with a TC-50 combo + a closed back Mesa 1x12 widebody, love it. Used SYN-1 & 1 module would run about $700-800, opens door for other modules (a blessing and a curse), can use it later with Fireball 25 & other modules.no

What amp do you have now? If it has a series loop, you could go with a SYN-1 or SYN-2 into the loop with an Uberschall module. I run a SYN-2 in 4CM with a TC-50 combo + a closed back Mesa 1x12 widebody, love it. Used SYN-1 & 1 module would run about $700-800, opens door for other modules (a blessing and a curse), can use it later with Fireball 25 & other modules.
No amp at the moment

What has you liking the Fireball 25 and Syn 30/Uberschall?
Maybe the Syn 30 with a Poweball or Savage module might cover all aspects.
The features it has. I had a fireball 60 which I liked but had to sell at the time. I hear good things about the synergy stuff but I'm not able to try their products. Another option could be the mt15 but I keep reading that the loops sucks.

If you want versatility and money‘s no problem, go with the Synergy stuff and an Engl module. Whenever you get bored and want to try something different, it‘s any easy swap of the module.

The features it has. I had a fireball 60 which I liked but had to sell at the time. I hear good things about the synergy stuff but I'm not able to try their products. Another option could be the mt15 but I keep reading that the loops sucks.
I love the Synergy stuff personally, have had Randall & Synergy rigs for 14 years. If you are going to use SYN-1 or SYN-2 preamp with a head/combo, it needs to have a good quality series effects loop to get the best sound, either in 4CM or just into return. It's possible to run into amp input (like a pedal) but that will not sound as good, and will pick up lot of coloration from the onboard preamp, wouldn't recommend. Other option is getting rack mounted power amp, Synergy makes SYN 5050) stereo 50w per channel, bridgable to 100w mono, designed by Fryette. Any other power amp will work, lot of people like the Fryette PS2, the older Randall RT2-50, Mesa Boogie rack power amps like 290 & 20/20.

I haven't spent any time with a Fireball so I can't specifically say anything about it. It sounds really great on any of the clips I've listen to, but may not have the greatest versatility. I do own other ENGL amps; Steve Morse & Inferno. Both of those are killer and have that signature ENGL sound. They also have enough going to cover a lot of ground. I don't see why the Fireball would be much different than that, other than a slightly different flavor of ENGL. I have heard some people say it can get lost in the mix, but to my ears it should have enough mids to cut through. But ENGLs are pretty refined sounding so something with more of a raw sound might overshadow it. I haven't had a problem with my ENGLs cutting through though.

I also have some synergy stuff. Do the modules sound exactly like the actual amps? Not quite but it's very close. The good thing is that a good chunk of the modules are designed by the actual company. So if you get an ENGL or Bogner module, they were designed by ENGL and Bogner. I look at it as a slightly different flavor of a preamp. The one's that are full Synergy like the IICP were designed by Mr. Fryette & Co. so it's not like they're going to be lacking in tone.

One thing to note is the power amp you use plays a big role in the final sound. The Synergy heads / power amps were mostly designed to be like a catch all so that all modules sound good though it. The tradeoff is that the module don't sound quite as close to the actual amp. But even then they still have the overall tone and feel of the real amps. It's just not a 100% copy, more like 90-95%. Again if you think if it as a slightly different revision of the actual amp you won't be disappointed.

I run a SYN 2 with the Powerball and Savage modules through the loop of my Inferno. To my ears that about 98% the same sound as a Powerball and Savage amp. I also have a Pittbull and IICP modules that I'll run through a Line 6 DT25. That line 6 amp has the analog switchable power section designed by Bogner. I pick the topology that makes the module sound best/how I want. That setup works really well. I wish Synergy would get the brain trust together and make a power amp on those same lines. If they ever did that I'd drop the Line 6.

You really can't go wrong with either choice.
The Fireball is a great amp and would have that signature ENGL sound, but may not have enough versatility for your liking. Then, you did like your Fireball when you had it so a new one would probably be sufficient.
The Synergy is also a great choice. There's a lot of versatility with the different modules and they all have the characteristic sound of their big brother. But it can be a rabbit hole if you go overboard with the modules.

If it were me I would go for the Synergy. I'd do a SYN 50, start off with the Savage or Powerball module, and go from there. That should get you near the sound you liked from your original Fireball with the added bonus of adding to that later on. And a SYN 50 will work with only 1 module installed. One slot can be empty and it will work fine. May be a little more than the SYN 30 or Fireball, but I think the price is worth it. After you get another module or two you'll probably be wishing for that extra slot.
Plus in the long run it's more cost effective. Say you got a SYN 50, Savage and Uberschall module; that'd be about $2500. To buy both those amps you'd be looking at least double the cost of the Synergy. And with the synergy It'd be about $400 per module to try something different vs $1000+ for a new amp.

I haven't spent any time with a Fireball so I can't specifically say anything about it. It sounds really great on any of the clips I've listen to, but may not have the greatest versatility. I do own other ENGL amps; Steve Morse & Inferno. Both of those are killer and have that signature ENGL sound. They also have enough going to cover a lot of ground. I don't see why the Fireball would be much different than that, other than a slightly different flavor of ENGL. I have heard some people say it can get lost in the mix, but to my ears it should have enough mids to cut through. But ENGLs are pretty refined sounding so something with more of a raw sound might overshadow it. I haven't had a problem with my ENGLs cutting through though.

I also have some synergy stuff. Do the modules sound exactly like the actual amps? Not quite but it's very close. The good thing is that a good chunk of the modules are designed by the actual company. So if you get an ENGL or Bogner module, they were designed by ENGL and Bogner. I look at it as a slightly different flavor of a preamp. The one's that are full Synergy like the IICP were designed by Mr. Fryette & Co. so it's not like they're going to be lacking in tone.

One thing to note is the power amp you use plays a big role in the final sound. The Synergy heads / power amps were mostly designed to be like a catch all so that all modules sound good though it. The tradeoff is that the module don't sound quite as close to the actual amp. But even then they still have the overall tone and feel of the real amps. It's just not a 100% copy, more like 90-95%. Again if you think if it as a slightly different revision of the actual amp you won't be disappointed.

I run a SYN 2 with the Powerball and Savage modules through the loop of my Inferno. To my ears that about 98% the same sound as a Powerball and Savage amp. I also have a Pittbull and IICP modules that I'll run through a Line 6 DT25. That line 6 amp has the analog switchable power section designed by Bogner. I pick the topology that makes the module sound best/how I want. That setup works really well. I wish Synergy would get the brain trust together and make a power amp on those same lines. If they ever did that I'd drop the Line 6.

You really can't go wrong with either choice.
The Fireball is a great amp and would have that signature ENGL sound, but may not have enough versatility for your liking. Then, you did like your Fireball when you had it so a new one would probably be sufficient.
The Synergy is also a great choice. There's a lot of versatility with the different modules and they all have the characteristic sound of their big brother. But it can be a rabbit hole if you go overboard with the modules.

If it were me I would go for the Synergy. I'd do a SYN 50, start off with the Savage or Powerball module, and go from there. That should get you near the sound you liked from your original Fireball with the added bonus of adding to that later on. And a SYN 50 will work with only 1 module installed. One slot can be empty and it will work fine. May be a little more than the SYN 30 or Fireball, but I think the price is worth it. After you get another module or two you'll probably be wishing for that extra slot.
Plus in the long run it's more cost effective. Say you got a SYN 50, Savage and Uberschall module; that'd be about $2500. To buy both those amps you'd be looking at least double the cost of the Synergy. And with the synergy It'd be about $400 per module to try something different vs $1000+ for a new amp.
I was thinking in the syn 30 because I only play at home but you're right we always want more lol

I was thinking in the syn 30 because I only play at home but you're right we always want more lol
Assume you already own the Mesa wide body 1x12 cabinet you mentioned at beginning of this thread, and are looking at the SYN-30 head? They are pretty scarce these days, and the prices have gone up to be almost the same as a SYN-50. You do get the built-in clean channel on the SYN-30, theoretically saving you the cost of a clean module on a SYN-50, but come on- if you hop on the MTS dragon, you know you are going to buy a shit-ton of modules, right?

If you are looking for a budget option- another option to consider, there's still quite a few of the older used Randall RM100 heads floating around, and are considerably cheaper. Factory RM100s support older Randall/Eganter single channel modules - they can run Synergy/Egnater dual modules, but only access one channel. They also lack the 3 position Synergy cathode bias switch that didn't exist on older MTS gear.

There's mods to convert RM100s to dual channel like Synergy heads, and add that 3 position bias switch - used 2 channel modded RM100s do pop up online periodically. A great guy in NJ does the mods - Google Jaded Faith mods if you want info, there's a European DIY mod kit from company called Yuneo if you are handy with solder gun & can read circuit board diagram. RM100s are enormous and very heavy (around 71 lbs loaded with 3 modules), nobody likes hauling them, which is often why the go so cheap used (cheaper yet for local pickup).

I just did a quick search on Reverb, there's several available for under $800, I've seen them go for crazy-low, below $400 for local pickup- keep an eye out wherever you live. Could have a stock one shipped to Jaded Faith, modded to dual channel w/3 position bias & shipped back to you, all for hundreds below a new SYN-30/50 head. Or just buy a Synergy if sounds too complicated. I just wrote it & realized how daunting this could be for someone who's totally new to MTS amps.

Note - only the RM100 can be modded to dual channel, not the RM50, RM22 or RM20s- physical limitation of the MIDI board size, it's been talked to death for decades on MTS forum with mad scientist types trying to get that working in the smaller models.

Back