Angus Young Marshals converted to MV

Kapo_Polenton

Interesting run through here.. assuming it is older and just posted recently but all those old Marshalls...seemingly converted essentially to JCM800 preamps and then pushed with the Schaeffer. Who would have thunk it.. I always thought that sound was those old amps cranked live.

Nobody really knows until they show pics. Could be a pre or post phase inverter master. Interesting to see the gain knob turned almost all the way up.

Angus uses a lot more gain than Malcolm did. Angus actually used a Mesa Boogie studio pre-amp into 2:90 power amps for the Razors Edge tour!! It's true.

Interesting run through here.. assuming it is older and just posted recently but all those old Marshalls...seemingly converted essentially to JCM800 preamps and then pushed with the Schaeffer. Who would have thunk it.. I always thought that sound was those old amps cranked live.

From 2016 , here's the full clip

Wow, Stevie (and I assume Malcolm did too) uses 12-56 with a wound G. And crazy he/Malcolm use real vintage Marshalls on tour, I would have thought they'd do it like Angus and tour with reissues.

Just like the never ending "EVH amps were stock" mythology Angus & Malcom have been using everything under the sun inside & out of the studio & live since the 70's but they had the tone we all wanted.
A 1959' JMP goosed w/a boost & MV is anything but stock.
A mod is a mod is a mod.

Last edited:
No kidding eh? Back to the 2204 ( boosted) like most of us do!

or a Wizard 2203 maybe:giggle:

KASEKSL.jpg

Just like the never ending "EVH amps were stock" mythology Angus & Malcom have been using everything under the sun inside & out of the studio & live since the 70's but they had the tone we all wanted.
A 1959' JMP goosed w/a boost & MV is anything but stock.
A mod is a mod is a mod.
This. Guitarists are more anal about sharing their tonal secrets than most of the people think and usually just lie to those that are asking about it.

I think that is likely due to their unique bias approach of turn it up until it sounds awesome ..
Their bias technique plus JJ reliability [crap] or lack of = pile of melted glass.
Seems Angus doesn't really care about 50 yr old JMP output transformers much.
Can't help but think the tech in the video is embellishing the bias/tube stories for the camera as he's not the one doing the biasing.
Making it sound cool for youtube-land.

Their bias technique plus JJ reliability [crap] or lack of = pile of melted glass.
Seems Angus doesn't really care about 50 yr old JMP output transformers much.
Can't help but think the tech in the video is embellishing the bias/tube stories for the camera as he's not the one doing the biasing.
Making it sound cool for youtube-land.

Agree, I suspect they more or less know where to bias them and they do so for tone but also reliability because he can't have amps blowing on him while he plays live. I do find it interesting though that at the volume they get to play at, why they converted them to a cascading 800 preamp. Plexi's sound better than JCM800's do stock to my ear. When you play them back to back, the plexi breathes so much better.

Found this through my internet sleuthing skillz (2 minutes on google)

Recent FB posts by Trace @ VooDoo amps, Angus is using 1959's with MV cascade mods.
Vol 1 : labeled "volume" Vol 2 : labeled "gain".
Trace was on location with the band until recent, he is not allowed to discuss the mods in detail.
Speculation is they're modded to Wizard specs.
In any event good to see him with MARSHALL again.

So whoever posted Wizard, good on ya! So what is this spec then? Essentially a 2204 with 4-5 part changes is my guess.

I think he used a JMP transition model back in the days, and probably they mod the amps on that specs.
I had a '77 50 watt for a while, 2 inputs but different to the 2204. One-trick pony, but really nail that tone.

A mod is a mod is a mod.

Jimmy Page's Marshall's were modded for more power.
Blackmore used Majors with a special outboard pre-amp.
Ty Tabor's tone in the old days was a solid state amp hidden behind a Marshall.
Brian May's was way more about a treble booster or the Deacy than it was the AC30.
And ya, all of the classic tones we think we know the amp? Was most likely something else,
or a stock amp that was embellished/modified quite a bit.

I mean, shit! For decades most players thought Led Zeppelin I was an LP into a Marshall!

A mod is a mod is a mod - and we're probably all wrong about what we think player XY used
for amps on album/tour YZ. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Found this through my internet sleuthing skillz (2 minutes on google)

Recent FB posts by Trace @ VooDoo amps, Angus is using 1959's with MV cascade mods.
Vol 1 : labeled "volume" Vol 2 : labeled "gain".
Trace was on location with the band until recent, he is not allowed to discuss the mods in detail.
Speculation is they're modded to Wizard specs.
In any event good to see him with MARSHALL again.

So whoever posted Wizard, good on ya! So what is this spec then? Essentially a 2204 with 4-5 part changes is my guess.
Trace is a dick. I know [famous] industry folks {not saying names} but top tier artists that were exploited by Mr. Davis while he was being paid good money to provide a service. Im talking artists that have sig VooDoo model amps named after them. I also have the same Engineer as said artist that had to re-work {famous vintage} amps that Davis worked on. I wouldn't let Trace Davis even in the same State as my gear let alone pay money for that guy.
If ACDC went from Rick St. Pierre to T. Davis id aim a little higher but that rig rundown video is a few years old.

Trace is a dick. I know [famous] industry folks {not saying names} but top tier artists that were exploited by Mr. Davis while he was being paid good money to provide a service. Im talking artists that have sig VooDoo model amps named after them. I also have the same Engineer as said artist that had to re-work {famous vintage} amps that Davis worked on. I wouldn't let Trace Davis even in the same State as my gear let alone pay money for that guy.
If ACDC went from Rick St. Pierre to T. Davis id aim a little higher but that rig rundown video is a few years old.

Are these artists still using their voodoo sig amps? (I guess Fortis is one of them) Any knowledge on what he was doing to the amps?

Back