Another amp+cab connection thread

emperor_black

I have two 8 ohm cabs. I'm connecting them both to the Uber. I have set the ohm switch to 4 as per instructions on the back. If I disconnect one of the cabs, each time, do I have to set the ohm switch back to 8? Or will it run fine with only one cab and the switch set to 4?

thanks!

thanks for the reply. But its kinda irritating to switch back and forth. The way I understand, when you have two 8 ohm cabs, the total impedance drops to 4 ohms. And that's why you set it to 4 ohms meaning the amp expects a minimum 4 ohms load. I know its always safe to give an amp more load than it requires. Since one 8 ohm cab gives it more than its expected 4 ohms, it should be ok. But I just dont want to take any chances.

In the Mark IV, there's no switching and all that confusion; Just jacks. One 8 ohm cab, plug it into the 8 ohm jack. two 8 ohm cabs, connect them to the two 4 ohm jacks. simple. :yes:

I had a Mesa Recto cab a while back and on the back plate, two of the rods connecting different jacks started touching (without me knowing). This put an 8 ohm cab at 2 ohms; not exactly a good situation. Well, I had a Mesa Triple Recto and it was like the short didn't exist. My Ecstasy, on the other hand, didn't fare as well; the grid resistors got so hot they began to desolder from the board.

I'm thankful nothing more happened with the XTC than that, and it was maybe even a good thing that it happened because at that point, I didn't own a multimeter and never checked my cab's impedance when something wasn't sounding right. However - and I know you're mismatching the load by a factor of 2, not 4 - I've since then gotten a bad taste about mismatching loads with Bogner amps. I seriously doubt it would cause you any issues, but again, despite it being a little annoying, I'd always switch it back to 8 ohms.

Back